These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Can compressors/limiters on mic-pre models work to protect from clipping in the input? I.e. like you would use in a studio environment on the channel strip or insert?
by dongarcia on 2009-04-25 16:26:11

I'm considering buying a mic-pre to tame some of the young singers that come though my project studio. I'm aware of practicing mic technique, etc. My question is if the software models function the same way as real gear and can compress or limit the input before AD conversion. My assumption is no but wanted to confirm before spending money in that direction. It would be great if a Line6 person could answer this so there's no speculation. I've left messages at Line6 with no call backs or responses.

Re: Can compressors/limiters on mic-pre models work to protect from clipping in the input? I.e. like you would use in a studio environment on the channel strip or insert?
by DerMetzgermeister on 2009-04-25 16:41:36

dongarcia wrote:

My question is if the software models function the same way as real gear and can compress or limit the input before AD conversion.

No. That's impossible. If you clip the inputs the AD converters will feed the software a clipped signal and that can't be fixed.

Re: Can compressors/limiters on mic-pre models work to protect from clipping in the input? I.e. like you would use in a studio environment on the channel strip or insert?
by bearfacedcow on 2009-04-25 19:49:21

Software doesn't appear before the AD conversion... it appears after. By the time your incoming signal has clipped, it's already in your computer and it's too late. You're better off getting a hardware mic-pre with built-in compression.

jord

by dongarcia on 2009-04-27 08:36:34

Thanks guys! Those were the 99% obvious answers but I wanted to make sure as i could find no reference in documentation. SSL has a nice idea. They put a little single function limiter in the path in their Alpha Channel. They also have an insert in case someone wants full dynamics capability. I think this would be a great idea for Line6. I wish I didn't have to go outside of the "family." But a man has to do what a man has to do!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.