These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

xt-live - disappeared all model packs (no more usb)
by hurghanico on 2011-04-21 12:20:38

I have a big problem with my xt-live!

Disappeared all model packs (classic, metal, fx, bass.. yes even the standard fx!).. lcd says: - standard model set loaded - ; and connecting it via usb it is no longer recognized by my pc ..

It happened all at once ..

Could perhaps be a problem of a discharged buffer battery (if there is one)? or maybe some fuse gone?

I recently transferred from a bean XT all the model packs to the XTL .. and for days there was no problem, then I did a reflash (v3.01) due to a problem with my Variax (which ultimately was not needed), and everything still worked fine .. But today I had this nice Easter surprise..

Given its current market value, I doubt that it is worthwhile to bring it to a service center..

Anyone has any idea to suggest to me?

Thanks

Re: xt-live disappeared all model packs (no more usb)
by hurghanico on 2011-04-21 13:34:58

..and also going to see the last page of "output mode - system" it says:

POD XT LIVE v3.01

USB v 0:00

ESN 00000000

I have the impression that the USB interface has gone..

I also tried to connect it to another PC and I tried changing the cable .. nothing!

by hurghanico on 2011-04-21 15:10:42

After reading many similar posts, I discovered that this common problem is the esn chip that needs to be replaced, ordered, and programmed .. very bad news ..

At this point I think it's probably more convenient and faster to buy another XTL .. but if it will happen again? ..

Maybe the XTLs after 6-7 years of life they go all on tilt ..

And after all, how I will be able to recover all the 4 model packs that I bought?

by TheRealZap on 2011-04-21 15:17:51

the xt itself will be useable with no model packs... not great... but something...

i ended up with one like that, and sold it on ebay just disclosed the issue.. really only went for 20$ less than one that would have been perfect....

anyway... i ended up getting an x3 when this happened to me...

which includes all the models anyway....

but line6 support will help you transfer your model packs if you get another XT, so you'll be ok there.

by hurghanico on 2011-04-21 16:29:31

Good to know for the possible transfer of my model packs ..

I think you probably made ​​the best choice..

I will also consider this possibility..

Thanks

by hurghanico on 2011-04-22 01:08:26

Line6 staff, can you please confirm that I can activate my model packs in another XTL?..

and also, can you tell me why the esn chips lose the stored data?.. is a normal thing?.. what caused it?

since I see it is a common problem, I'm sure you have the answers, so please let me know..

I already know that I can go to a qualified service center to fix the problem (but spending a lot of money and waiting for months)..

Thanks

RE: xt-live disappeared all model packs (no more usb)
by Line6Don on 2011-04-22 13:46:59

Hey hurghanico,

Many things can contribute to the cause of USB connectivity loss. Seems like everything was working correctly after the most recent re flash of the POD XT Live. So the question is, what had changed since it was last operational?

Having a Line 6 Service Center take a look at the device will give you a definite answer to the cause of this. To locate one in your area please follow the link below:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

If you do end up replacing the unit with another POD XT Live, make sure and register the unit to this same account and contact us from there about replacing the model pack licenses.

However, keep in mind that like TheRealZap mentioned, if you purchase a POD X3, all the models are included. In addition, if you choose to go towards the HD series, model packs are not applicable.

I hope this helps.

Re: RE: xt-live disappeared all model packs (no more usb)
by hurghanico on 2011-04-22 15:15:42

Thanks for your reply

- thinking more, now I remember that just after last reflash when I turned on again the pod there were no more symbols that are seen usually in the first screen about the model packs installed, the same thing was repeated I think for another 4 or 5 times, then the symbols have reappeared several times, and then disappeared altogether ..

- The nearest Line 6 Service Center is about 340 km from me, I emailed them to ask for a quote, but I'm sure the repair would cost almost the same if not more than another used Pod..

I'm thinking whether to buy another pod or not .. I am tempted, but I'm still undecided ..

I am worried that this problem can happen to me again .. and I lose even more money..

I know of people who have had this problem twice with different pods ..

It almost seems that these objects are designed to last for only some years .. and if it were, I would feel very disappointed ..

I would like instruments that will last as much as possible .. maybe all my life .. why not? ..

From different years I use products of line 6 in my work as a musician, because I like them a lot, but this latter one is not a problem so negligible ..

I'm confused .. I would receive a sincere advice

PS: about replacing eventually the model pack licenses, how it is possible to contact you from the register gear page?.. I don't see any link overthere

by Line6david on 2011-04-22 15:34:33

Hi,

Sorry to hear you have had so many issues with the POD XT Live.

If the ESN of the unit reads all 0's it needs to be taken to an authorized service center for repair.

http://line6.com/service_centers/

If you purchase another XT contact us and we can issue you new model packs.

818 575 3600

8AM to 5PM Mon-Fri PST

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by Line6Hugo on 2011-04-22 15:36:05

It is up to you whether you get a new POD or not, but I can assure you I have never had any problems with the PODs I have owned.

Just reply to this thread when you have a new PODxt.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by hurghanico on 2011-04-23 03:49:39

Line6 thanks for your support ..

At this point I really think that was the last reflash the cause of my problem, a task that is probably a bit risky .. next time I will think 10 times before attempting another one..

I understand that you safeguard yourself from software piracy using the current system (in my humble opinion too delicate) to uniquely identify each unit, so no one can install things that did not pay for.. but, if I may suggest, for your next projects might not be a bad idea to think to mount ESN (Electronic Serial Number) chips that can be easily disassembled and reassembled, for example, as the old POD 2.0 eproms .. I send my chip to you and you send it back to me, reprogrammed, easy! .. This would facilitate things a lot to us customers, and at the end also to you I think .. or not?

I think your customers would appreciate much more such a solution for similar problems..

It is a real shame to throw away an object almost perfect and the money paid to buy it only because of a de-programmed chip that with the current system would cost a madness to fix it in relation to the value of the object ..

I will update you soon on my next steps..

Thanks for your attention

by hurghanico on 2011-04-24 04:02:55

A service center wrote to me: "This not a defective ESN-Chip - it's a defective USB Controller" ".. yet another service center replied more or less the same thing..

I still do not give up, and doing further research I discovered that the responsible part of the problem is instead exactly the SMC chip (Secure Memory Chip) that has failed, the information on the ESN number, firmware USB version, and Model Packs installed, are all in there .. and when that chip fails, the symptoms are exactly what me and others have thoroughly described: dead USB, Model Packs gone, reading all zeros for ESN and USB ..

Since the service centers do not seem to agree with the replacement of the SMC, I was wondering if it was possible get one, programmed for my Pod, which I would let mount by a technician ..

by hurghanico on 2011-04-25 06:50:13

By way of information..

I found out which is the SMC (Secure Memory Chip EEPROM) chip on the PCB, is located between the USB port and Variax socket, it is a small 8 pin IC . the name is AT88SC153 and is labeled U24 on the PCB ..

I also found its manual pdf: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc1016.pdf

style="font-family: comic sans ms,sans-serif;">If anyone who has the knowledge has any idea of possible attempts to do on the chip to restore its normal operation, is welcome

by Kneehow on 2011-04-25 09:55:41

Replacement of the Secure Memory Chip is something that an Authorized Line 6 Service Center is capable of doing.

That's why we suggest going through them. We don't sell parts directly to users, unfortunately... the sales have to go through the Authorized Service Centers. Our authorized Line 6 Service techs have knowledge of how to do a SMC chip replacement. Once such a procedure has been done, we can then assist with your model pack licenses.

But the SMC replacement is something you'll need to go through the ASC. That is not a user-serviceable procedure, and we cannot provide instructions on how to do this public as per company policy, sorry.

by hurghanico on 2011-04-25 10:57:54

Thanks Perry..

I understand what you say, but already two Line6 authorized service centers to which I explained in detail the problem, they replied they think the problem is due to the usb controller ..

From my extensive research, and from what you say Line6 regarding this issue, we should instead replace the corrupted SMC ..

At the end it seems to me that the only option left is to give up.. or not?.. at least not lose any more time and money in vain..

by TheRealZap on 2011-04-25 11:02:58

tell them to change whatever they have to... to make it work...

and tell them that you won't pay over the initial estimate, and won't accept it back not working...

it's also possible that the ESN issue is a symptom and the USB controller is the disease...

i'd assume they SHOULD know what they are talking about....

by hurghanico on 2011-04-25 11:34:57

You're right..

but the Italian Line6 service center told me just what would be the worst case, that is changing the whole board, in that case, I would spend € 180 ($ 262.5), then you must also add the shipping costs ..

A used XT LIVE here in Italy can be found at € 200 ($ 291).. I have also seen some X3 LIVE at € 300 ($ 437)..

But I was trying to find ways to not spend the same money if not more again..

by Line6Hugo on 2011-04-25 16:20:30

It sounds like the device needs to get repaired to work correctly and taking to an authorized service center is your only option for that. At this point, it sounds like you would need to make a decision on whether to get your PODxt Live fixed or just get a new one.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by hurghanico on 2011-04-25 17:16:31

I'd say the second hypothesis is definitely the most probable .. wednesday I'm going to see a well kept XTL, at a reasonable price .. but I hope to be able to sell the other to retrieve at least some of the money I spent to buy it about a month ago, but since now it is defective, I do not know if I will have the same luck that had TheRealZap, who sold his XTL for $ 20 in less than a perfect .. In these cases here in Italy we say: - "Ci vuole un gran culo" - which literally translated means: - "it needs a big a_s_s" -, that is to say: "it needs a lot of luck", well, who knows, we'll see..

by hurghanico on 2011-04-26 08:42:21

Tomorrow I will see a used XTL, the seller does not know if the previous owner has already registered the XTL on the Line6 site.. he is trying to contact him via email to know about that..

if I ask to the seller the XTL serial number in advance, is there a way to discover that, possibly before tomorrow?..

Otherwise how can the problem be solved?

Thanks

by Line6Don on 2011-04-27 11:18:30

Hey hurghanico,

From this point it seems like your best option would be to look into buying a new used device, instead of paying around the same cost to repair your current model.

If you end up purchasing this used POD XT Live, and experience issues when registering it, we can help you register the device to your account.

by hurghanico on 2011-04-27 11:52:08

Thanks Don,

I bought a new XTL, it works well, all the model packs are already installed except the "collector classics" (so I presume it has been registered already).. before to my problem I had all 4 packs..

For my old bean XT (sold) I had bought the Triple Pack, and the Bass Expansion, which I then moved to the XTL (which ultimately broke) ..

If possible, I would like to restore to the new XTL exactly the previous state with all 4 model packs, and use instead my own license keys that I bought long ago ..

How can I do?

by hurghanico on 2011-04-27 12:38:59

I tried to register my new XTL on my Line6 account, and at the end it was possible...

Now what shoud I do to get back all 4 model packs?

I was wondering if the fact that one of my 2 license keys corresponds to a Triple Pack can somehow go into conflict with the "fx junkie" that in the XTL is already included by default .. in effect with the previous XTL, the transfer from the old bean XT was possible, but when unfortunately all the model packs disappeared from the XTL, is gone also the "fx junkie" ..

Re: RE: xt-live - disappeared all model packs (no more usb)
by Kneehow on 2011-04-28 11:10:49

No worries...

I have created a support ticket for you regarding this situation.  A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

by hurghanico on 2011-04-28 12:46:32

Very good news!

Thanks a lot for your support!

I will follow your instructions..

by hurghanico on 2011-04-28 16:21:01

Endless thanks thanks thanks ..

What you Line6 have done to help me is much more than what I was hoping it was done ..

I am very grateful to you!

For sure I will not forget it!

by sambeaux2002 on 2011-08-16 19:39:11

Im in the same boat.. pod xt usb not working ....     esn all zeroes...  what can i do to get it back?

thanks,

vic

Re: xt-live - disappeared all model packs (no more usb)
by tomtit on 2011-12-07 09:55:23

After losing the USB connectivity, and reading of it happening to quite a lot of pod users "USB controller not recognised etc", all options have been put out there. The high cost of repairing not being worth it and to buy a newer model pod, or to seek out a 2nd hand item the same and save money that way. The 3rd option, which Im choosing and hasnt been spoken of, is never buying anything associated with line 6 or pod again. And until my failure I was considering the new pod HD, line 6 amp and was even arguing over the merits of the line 6 variax guitars. But ultimately I want my product to last. And it didn't. That's good enough for me.

by TheRealZap on 2011-12-07 11:31:48

tomtit wrote:

After losing the USB connectivity, and reading of it happening to quite a lot of pod users "USB controller not recognised etc",

wrong... you are reading a support forum with a handful of instances of this happening on units that are 5+ years old in some cases... and in many of the cases here... you can also read an "oops i stepped on the plug" or other relevant factoid... the usb ports do not randomly fail...

in other cases the problem is the users computer as well... (infinite possibilities there)

if you are expecting any unit to last forever... i'd say your expectations are the real problem.

unfortunate that you are not happy with your XT...

by sambeaux2002 on 2012-05-29 12:24:20

i bought a usb to midi adapter for like $5 from amazon...  http://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard/dp/B003KXEDVQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338319428&sr=8-3">http://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard/dp/B003KXEDVQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338319428&sr=8-3">http://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard/dp/B003KXEDVQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338319428&sr=8-3        connected the midi in and out to my live xt, plugged usb into computer and was able to use the midi interface rather than the usb....    so a $5 adaptor saved me a few hundred dollars buying a newer model...    

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.