These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: FBV MkI / MkII Controllers

FBV Express MkII Not Working Since USB Connection to Line 6 Monkey
by Hobbes230 on 2011-04-23 09:31:25
My pedal has worked just fine for two years (with the occasional glitch) and has never really had a problem. Recently, I tried plugging my pedal into my PC (I have nothing harmful on my computer whatsoever) while it was also attatched at my Line 6 Spider IV 150W Combo Amp. I updated my ampand played around with the Spider Editor for a bit, until I decided to try to update the pedal. Apparently, the firmware was already up-to-date. But when I disconnected everything, my pedal wasn't powering on when it was connected to the amp. So I played around with it for awhile until I could get it to register via USB again- I tried downloading the firmware from Line 6 Monkey just so it would restore to its default settings. After that, the pedal worked the rest of the night (When I updated it, it was already connected to the amp and PC). Since then, though, the pedal does not work. I plug it into the powered on/off amp and the LEDs will all flash on before staying off. The same happens when I connect the pedal to a computer- the computer says the device has malfunctioned. I have tried recalibrating the pedal, but it won't even do that correctly. It skips step #1 entirelly- When I power it on while holding down 'D', it reads '2' and I cannot make it start at '1' at all. Guitar Center support thinks some crucial firmware may have been dumped, butI have no idea. Please help! Can I send it in to be fixed, or use my warranty to get credit and then buy the FBV Shortboard MkII instead with some additional cash  or something? I have no idea what to do!!

RE: FBV Express MkII Not Working Since USB Connection to Line 6 Monkey
by Line6Don on 2011-04-26 10:45:12

Hey Hobbes230,

So at this point you are unable to connect to the FBV Express using Line 6 Monkey? If you are able to connect, you will need to reinstall the latest flash memory. The pedal has no functionality when connected to only the amp as well?

If you are not able to connect to your computer, please try connecting to a different computer to verify if the FBV's USB is still functioning properly.

Please let us know your results.

Re: RE: FBV Express MkII Not Working Since USB Connection to Line 6 Monkey
by Hobbes230 on 2011-04-27 19:13:43

I just tried connecting the FBV to another computer, but with no luck. Neither the amp alone nor the USB are working to connect the FBV to a computer (or, in the amp's case, to eachother). I can't reinstall the flash memory at this point, either, because the computer can't connect to the FBV pedal... What should I do?

On a side note.. Would it be possible to send the FBV Express MkII in to you guys, but perhaps to send it with an additional $100 or so (whatever the difference may be) and get an FBV Shortboard Mk II? I only ask because I want to purchase the shortboard, and I'd rather not pay to replace this one when I could just pay a bit more to get a better pedal- Plus I'm assuming that it would be more profitable for you, in a business sense, to sell a $200 product rather than recieve less than $100 to repair another. Please let me know what you think.

RE: FBV Express MkII Not Working Since USB Connection to Line 6 Monkey
by Line6Don on 2011-04-29 09:50:29

Hey Hobbes230,

It appears the unit has lost it's firmware and has become locked in a unresponsive state. Unfortunately the FBV Express MKII is not a serviceable device.

I apologize but we do not have a trade in program for replacing or repairing gear at this time.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

by brandon199q2 on 2011-08-22 15:52:10

mine just did this and its just 2 days old

by fflbrgst on 2011-08-23 11:33:08

Brandon - bring it back to wherever you bought it for replacement!

by wnmckee on 2011-08-28 12:42:24

i am now on my third FBV express MkII and each time I have tried to use the Spider 4 edit or line 6 Monkey this exact thing has happened, all LED flash and the pedal will not work.  I have returned two before, made a  150 mile round trip to nearest dealer once I got a rebate, and replaced it. I am not going to this time.  There is apparentlly some problem with the edit or monkey software.  I have been burned by this for the last time

by bclery on 2011-08-31 06:21:34

Yes, mine did this too.  I posted another thread here "Another Dead FBV Express MK II"

There must be some engineering issue with the FBV Express MK II and the USB.  It gets locked in bad states after interacting with a PC.

Line2David started a ticket, they wanted my FBV back so they could investigate.  He said they had never heard of this issue, but any scanning on this forum will show you this is a common issue.  I was going to ship it back to day, but somehow my ticket just disapeared.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.