These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Windows 7 Pro 64 will not recognize PODxt Live
by amhogan05 on 2011-04-24 21:09:14

Hi all,

I am hoping that sompne has solved this particular issue in a way that I can use.  Windows 7 Professional 64 cannot find my PODxt Live after installing Monkey or Gear Box. I've been throught eh forum and more and while I am not the only one who has this problem, none of the current solutions work for me.  Here is what I've done and observed.

• I've tried this on two machines, both with USB 2.0 ports
  • The PODxt does not show up in the Device Manager
  • The Found New Hardware Wizard never appears
  • I am using the versions of Monkey, drivers, and Gear Box available on the website as of today, 4/24/2011

Thanks for the help.

Andrew

RE: Windows 7 Pro 64 will not recognize PODxt Live
by Line6david on 2011-04-26 15:34:54

Hi,

Does the POD XT Live function normally when not connected to the computers?

Are you connecting directly to the computers or using a USB hub?

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: Windows 7 Pro 64 will not recognize PODxt Live
by amhogan05 on 2011-04-26 16:52:42

Hi David,

Yes, the unit functions normally when not plugged into a computer.

No, it is not plugged into a USB hub, but directly into a USB 2.0 port on my laptop.

Thanks,

Andrew

by amhogan05 on 2011-04-28 07:11:23

Hi David,

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Andrew

by amhogan05 on 2011-04-28 21:04:13

Bueller...

Re: Windows 7 Pro 64 will not recognize PODxt Live
by Triryche on 2011-04-29 08:52:55

So the Monkey can not see it?

Have you tried another USB chord?

by amhogan05 on 2011-04-29 09:04:25

Hi Triryche,

No, the Monkey can't see it and I've tried a few cables.

It worked in XP but not in Win 7.  I am running the Win 7 64 drivers, and I see that others have done so successfully.

Thanks for the reply.

Andrew

by Triryche on 2011-04-29 10:07:40

I know it's a pain, but if it were me, I would try to confirm it still communicates properly on an XP machine, this may at least rule out it is a problem with the USB on the xtPro.

I am running a PODxt (not pro) with Win 7 64, I originally had BSOD issues which were related to a USB filter, I doubt that is your issue, but if you have an AMD machine it can't hurt to try.

http://www.smartdongle.com/remove-amd-usb-filter-driver-ati-catalyst-install-manager

Also,have you tried uninstalling all the Line6 drivers and running the driver installer outside of Monkey without plugging in the Pro until instructed?

And temporarily disable your anti-virus and firewalls before re-installing.

by Line6Don on 2011-04-29 10:15:16

Hey amhogan05,

If you have already tried using different USB cables, please make sure to use every available USB port on your laptop as well. In addition, please remove any additional unnecessary USB devices when troubleshooting.

If trying all the available USB ports does not help you, then you might want to try rolling back to the previous versions of drivers.

Please uninstall the current drivers using the Line 6 Uninstaller located at:

C:\Program Files\Line6\Tools

Once you have successfully uninstalled the current drivers.

Go to our Downloads page and download Version 4.0.2.7 of the Windows 7 drivers and install them.

http://line6.com/software/

I hope this helps, please let us know your results.

by amhogan05 on 2011-04-29 12:33:52

Hi Triryche,

I loaded an earlier WinXPPro64 disk image that had the Monkey on it and it did not work.  It asked for drivers right away, so I want to be sure I go far enough back to an image that did work to be sure.

Even if I don't have any drivers installed, the PC should recognize that SOME new hardware is present and ask about it via teh Found New Hardware Wizard, right?  Nada.  I am beginning to suspect a faulty USB.

I'll try a few other things then take up the accordion. 

by amhogan05 on 2011-04-29 12:35:43

Hi Line6Don,

As I mentioned to Triryche above, I am beginning to suspect a failed USB port on the PODxt.  I'll do some more testing and then decide what to do next.

Thanks,

Andrew

by Line6Hugo on 2011-05-03 12:24:44

Removing all other USB devices and testing all of the USB ports on your computer is the best thing.

IF Windows does not recognize the hardware, I suggest isolating the problem by testing with a different computer. The result of this should tell you if it is a hardware problem on the POD that needs to be serviced:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by amhogan05 on 2011-05-04 08:33:55

Hi Line6Hugo,

I did try removing all USB devices and tried on two computers.  No joy.

I did notice that even after I load the drivers through the Monkey, the current version of the drivers (NOT the latest verson column) is still listed in the Monkey as unknown.  Could it be that Windows 7 Pro is preventing the drivers from being loaded properly?  I have run the driver installation application (external to the Monkey) as Administrator and still get this result.

1.  Is there a way to tell via the presence of a file or somethign that can prove that drivers are prioerly installed, and

2.  Is there a way to ensure that Windows 7 installs the drivers properly by granting the proper priviledges to a directory, user, etc.?

Thanks,

Andrew

by Line6Hugo on 2011-05-04 09:09:01

1. Yes. The driver file is L6PODxt_x64.dll and it should be located in the C:/Windows/System32 folder

2. You must be the administrator of the computer to properly install and use the software on your computer system.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by amhogan05 on 2011-05-04 16:56:55

Hi Line6Hugo

1.  Cool.  I am traveling now but will look for teh file when I get back.

2,  I run Windows 7 from a user account with Administrator proviledges.  I think that is the only way now.  I don't tink Win 7 has an Administrator account.  I also did the right click>Run as Administrator.  If the file isn't in the directory per item 1 we may have a piviledges issue that transcends the Administrators group.  If it is there, we have a different problem.

But how about this:  Should the Money indicate what version of the driver is installed on the PC whether or not the PODxt can see it?  Right now the Monkey says it does not know what version the driver is even though the install was successful.

Andrew

by Line6Don on 2011-05-05 09:42:53

Hey amhogan05,

Monkey will not display the installed drivers if it cannot detect and connect to a device. So as Line6Hugo mentioned, you can verify the driver is installed by checking the file location:

C:/Windows/System32 folder

The driver file is L6PODxt_x64.dll.

In addition you mentioned you have tried this on a second computer without success. What operating system was this second computer running?

Thanks for your feedback.

by amhogan05 on 2011-05-06 07:47:40

Hi Line6Don,

The other machine is also running Windows 7 Pro 64.  So no analysis help there.

I will be in range of my laptop and PODxt Live tonight and will check for the existence of the driver.

I did open the box to look for trauma at the USB port and found everything to be absolutely clean and unmolested.  I know it only rules out obvious damage.  I wish there was a way to tell from the PODxt if it thought it was connected via USB to a PC.  Is there?  And if there was,  would it buy us anything.

BTW, the MIDI connection works fine.  Probably apropos of nothing, but there it is.

Thanks again,

Andrew

by Line6Don on 2011-05-06 16:18:50

Hey amhogan05,

We have recently released a new driver, please go to download and install it and give it a try:

http://line6.com/software/

Please let us know your results, thank you.

by amhogan05 on 2011-05-06 18:48:21

Fascinating.

L6PODxt_x64.dll is not in the windows/system32 direcotry.

The new driver did not help.  Given the above I am not surprised.

And yes, I am an Administrator on this laptop.  The installer is not writing to the file to the directory.

But it will let me copy the file there manually.  Monkey still does not see it.  I reboot.  One moment please...

by amhogan05 on 2011-05-06 18:55:46

... And he goes home with  a year's supply of Turtle Wax.

No joy.  It still does not recognize the PODxt, even though I manually copied the .dll over to windows/system32.  There may be other things the installer is doing besides that.  But it is suspicious that it did not install the file even though I have Administrator priviledges.

Please don't send me to Microsoft.  I promise to be good.

Andrew

by Line6Don on 2011-05-09 09:23:17

Hey amhogan05,

It is very strange that the driver installer is not installing the .dll into the correct file location. Did you try running a search to find it? Maybe it was somehow installing to a different file location.

Are you running any sort of anti-virus/spyware/firewall software of any kind on this computer? This could also be preventing the installation from completing correctly.

Have you been able to test the POD XT Live with another computer that is not running Windows 7?

by johnnylife on 2011-10-23 21:34:35

hey Lin6 don im having the same problem it wont install

by Triryche on 2011-10-24 08:06:27

Johnnylife,

You should post a new separate thread describing your problem and mark it as a question.

Since this thread is already marked answered it is virtually invisible to the Line6 reps and other helpful forum members.

by krisscross44 on 2011-12-12 03:19:52

Having the same problem with my pod xt on windows 7, will not recognize device.

by nfkn17 on 2012-06-02 15:14:11

thread bomb.

i had all these issues with podxt and winders 7. always got device cannot start in device manager.

moved usb cable to rear and it fired right up and windows loaded the driver. works good now.

dell tower machine windows 7 pro all updates current

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.