These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Problem with new headphones
by AliceLG on 2011-04-26 05:32:38

Hello there, I got a new pair of headphones today and I'm having some sound quality issues. I had been previously using a pair of Sehnheiser HD210 until those broke and then I had a pair of Sehnheiser HD218, which aren't really for studio but more for iPods and connecting to the laptop. Both gave me a somewhat-decent sound quality when connecting to the headphones output in my UX1. The ones I got today are a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, they are supposed to be awesome as entry-level studio headphones. When I plugged them to my laptop the sound quality is amazing, but when I plugged them into the UX1 everything sounds way fuzzy or way too bright, specially with high gain presets from POD Farm it's almost like a square-wave synth at times. At first I thought that it might have something to do with the impedance and I checked. The DT770 have a nominal impedance of 80 Ohm, which is below what later I found in the FAQs here to be the recommended range (150-600 Ohm). The curios thing is that the Sehnheisers have a nominal impedance of only 24 Ohm, and I don't get this distortion from them. What might be happening here? I can return the DT770 and get them in the 250 Ohm version (thank God for Amazon) but I'd like to find out if the impedance is really the problem here, as evidence points to the contrary.

RE: Problem with new headphones
by Line6Don on 2011-04-28 10:27:33

Hey AliceLG,

I don't believe the problem lies with the impedance of the headphones, but more or less with the quality and tonality of the headphones themselves. It is common for high gain sounds to be very bright and gritty when listening to on headphones.

All headphones will sound different, you just need to find a pair that is comfortable and sounds good to you. There is always an adjustment period when getting used to a new monitoring source.

I hope this helps.

Re: Problem with new headphones
by tsiros on 2011-04-29 04:13:48

ux1, dt770 250Ω version, they sound amazing with any kind of sound (guitar: washburn x40pro with EMG 81/60) can you send me/describe a tone that, to you, does not sound good ?

by AliceLG on 2011-04-29 04:37:34

Apparently it solved itself, now everything sounds good.

by tsiros on 2011-04-29 04:42:52

could be that there wasn't good contact between headphone jack and ux1, or that you removed the cabinet from your tone (try it, it sounds horrible)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.