These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-59 Just Recieved (5/4/2011) - Switch Problem - Thought this was Fixed... ?
by davidb7170 on 2011-05-04 18:35:11

I just received ny JTV-59 from Sweetwater today 05/04/2011, having ordered it on 10/08/2010 -- right at 7 months of waiting... I am having the three-way switching problem I thought I went through the BIG WAIT to get it right and Ironed out by now.

I am really saddened by this, as the guitar is beautiful, solid, and plays quite well. I was running it through its paces, comparing the sounds to my Variax 300, and must say I believe them to quite improved. The physical build of the guitar is head and shoulders above my 300. The hmbuckers sound good. The sustain is sweet, the action and intonation were well set up. I WAS looking forward to using it out at a gig this weekend. Was a very happy camper until about an hour in, the 3-way switch stopped switching. was using it via the VDI cable to my Pod X3L, and I powered down the pod and the guitar (had not charged or put the battery in it). Came back in about 10 minutes and started it up, and it was fine for about 2 or 3 minutes, then back to non responsive behavior. I updated the firmware from the 1.6 that was in it to the 1.7 version via the L6 Monkey software. BTW the software asked me to register the JTV, but failed when I tried. What's up with that? Finally I was able to update the JTV firmware after it incessently asked me to register the guitar. Sheesh... It made no difference --  switching problem was still there. Went and ate supper for about an hour or so, then fired it up, and again it acted fine for a couple of minutes, then became unresponsive again.

This sounds like the classic cr4p that was happening to those who got the first shipments in January -- same MO that I was following earlier this year. I thought the big delays were to get this problem fixed. They reported redesigning the switch and having to replace all the switches on the JTV-59's they had, plus get the factory up and running with the new switches.

SO WHAT HAPPENED WITH MINE??? I need to get it fixed. I like this guitar. Mine came with the cream colored tip on the switch. I've been reading the forum here where the guitars with the problem where fixed and people complaining about getting black tips on their guitars. I saw the cream colored switch when I unpacked the guitar and thought "oh they fixed that little issue". Now I'm thinking I got a guitar that totally slipped by the switch replacement undetected. If so, why did it take all the extra time to get here?

Anyway -- more questions that I'll never know the answer to... I want the guitar fixed -- what's the next step here?? How do we go about this? Do I need to return all items or just the guitar in the case and boxes. Will I get a replacement or get this one fixed. My preference is to have this one fixed and back in my hands ASAP. I want to get past this and just use my new guitar. I want it to be dependable. You took the shine off my new toy that I waited so long for.

Details -- JTV-59 TSB Serial Number W101200250

Get back to me as soon as possible with the details of what will need to happen.

Dave Barnes

Re: JTV-59 Just Recieved (5/4/2011) - Switch Problem - Thought this was Fixed... ?
by ozbadman on 2011-05-04 21:49:37

Hi David,

Line 6 Support does monitor these threads, but it often takes a day or two to initially respond. You'll get a quicker result by calling the support line tomorrow and talking with them directly.

In the meantime, if you want to check your switch, the original switches are a right-angled blade switch like Les Paul switches, and take up all the space in the hole behind the switch. The back of the new switches are much smaller and not much bigger than the switch barrel itself. So, you could unscrew the plate behind the switch and have a quick look to see what you got. In either case, I'm afraid this guitar is going to have to go back. Line 6 may be handling repairs at authorized Line 6 repair centers now, but if you are seeing the same symptoms as were previously reported then I'd say it'll have to go back for repair.

Good Luck.

David.

Re: JTV-59 Just Recieved (5/4/2011) - Switch Problem - Thought this was Fixed... ?
by gtrman100 on 2011-05-05 00:03:22

+1 call Line 6. If you determine that it is a guitar with the old defective switches, I'd arrange with Line 6 to have the replacement switch sent to a local repair station, and them do the replacement asap. Hopefully, that way you wouldn't lose the guitar for long. If it is a newer switch, then it's your choice to send the guitar back to Sweetwater, or take it to a repair station. What a drag! I feel for you. My JTV69 has been bulletproof since I got it.

by davidb7170 on 2011-05-05 06:38:17

Thanks, guys. I am trying to find a "support line" phone number here (US). All I see are FAQ pages that basically lead around in a circle back to this support forum... The only actual phone number I've spotted on the L6 site is the general number on the "Contact Us" page -- is that the one, or am I totally missing something here? Yah - they're pacific time, I'm central time. Wouldn't be too productive to call right now ~8:30 am CDT - it's ~ 6:30 am PDT their time....

Also read that to get service, you have to have the unit registered. Tried to register my JTV, first via the Monkey, then later directly from the website -- same page it turns out (what a shocker). Anyway, it errored out saying it couldn't validate the serial number -- huh... I clicked on the FAQ link on the page, but got a "you're not authorized to see this page" message. Not Authorized? To see a FAQ? Top secret stuff there?

Ya know, buying a guitar really shouldn't be this traumatic. It's been like a slow motion train wreck pretty much from day 1, seven months ago...

Dave

by silverhead on 2011-05-05 06:40:28

davidb7170 wrote:

... The only actual phone number I've spotted on the L6 site is the general number on the "Contact Us" page -- is that the one

Yes - that's the one.

by davidb7170 on 2011-05-05 09:08:34

Just spoke with the customer service rep. She was very helpful. We discussed options and she issued me an RMA#. I will have the guitar picked up tomorrow, and see how resolution and the turn around will be on this. I will not close this question out as answered until I get the unit back fixed.

Thanks for your help, so far.

Dave

Edit -- I thought I would leave this as an open topic until I had it fixed, but was updating the responses and it marked the thread as answered.... Oh well -- I have a plan of action at least with the customer service rep....

by silverhead on 2011-05-05 09:13:04

The question does show as answered - I think that's automatic when you award the 'Correct Answer' points.

Good luck with your repair - should be no problem.

by laelamiles on 2011-05-05 21:14:50

My guess is that Sweetwater is pulling a fast one on you guys and shipping out defective guitars that were returned to them by customers.

Either that, or Rich has some explaining to do.

You're not the only one who recently had this problem:

http://line6.com/community/message/274129

by MartinHines on 2011-05-07 14:29:40

laelamiles wrote:

My guess is that Sweetwater is pulling a fast one on you guys and shipping out defective guitars that were returned to them by customers.

Laela,

Why don't we wait and see what the problem is before we start with all of the conspiracy theories?

Line 6 will get this fixed.

by davidb7170 on 2011-05-07 15:17:28

I spoke with both my rep at Sweetwater and the customer service rep at L6. The Sweetwater rep was pretty mortified. He offered to replace it -- the next shipment is the end of this month. The L6 customer service rep was very helpful as well. They were hoping for 2 week turnaround -- I know that it is an estimate and may not play out. I opted for the return to L6. I let the Sweetwater rep know this, and he stated that they will stand behind it if it is not to my liking for a return/replacement.

I'm having a hard time thinking that Sweetwater was "pulling a fast one" as they are under pressure from their customers to get their instruments to them. I think they go out as fast as they come in, because of the pressure from the customers. In their set up and checkout of the instrument, the problem would not present itself, as it took about an hour of playing when it happened to me. UPS did not pick it up on Friday as I had hoped. I let the L6 customer rep know this through our communications in my support ticket. She issued another call ticket instruction for UPS for Monday. We'll see... I work in a business with bureaucracy and know how left-hand/right-hand issues and just plain bad timing goes... sigh...

The other guy who had the issue bothers me some, of course. If mine was an isolated incident, I could understand easily enough one "slipping through"... I'll be interested to see if any more crop up at this point in the story... The delay after the January was specifically to address the issue with the redesign, replacement of the ones they had in hand, plus to get the Korean factory to put the redesign into the ones they were manufacturing from that point on.

I do know that for the short time it was operating properly I was very impressed with the physical build, setup, intonation, the physical pickup sounds (pretty hot compared to the models) , and then the models were improved over my red Vax 300 (the bottom of the line, I know). All in all a very pretty, solid guitar. Neck is different from my other guitars, but no problem for me to get used to (big hands -- long figures)... I am, as I said before, saddened, as I was really looking forward to using it at my gig tonight. Have gigs every weekend this moth and the summer is pretty busy as well. Need it back ASAP, and here it sits in my entry room by the door, all boxed up and waiting to go on Monday (I hope).

Dave

by laelamiles on 2011-05-07 23:13:31

MartinHines wrote:

laelamiles wrote:

Laela,

Why don't we wait and see what the problem is before we start with all of the conspiracy theories?

Line 6 will get this fixed.

Conspiracy theories?  LOL.  I said either Sweetwater pulled a fast one, or that Rich has some explaining to do.  Simple.  No conspiracy.

Either Sweetwater screwed up or just more Line6 incompetence.

by laelamiles on 2011-05-07 23:21:55

Hey Dave,

No doubt you will get it fixed.  I assure you this is a story I have heard many times over the months.  Eventually it gets fixed.

The reason I say it could be Sweetwater sent you a customer return is that this is a very common thing in the guitar business.

Guitars that are returned are shipped out as new to other customers all the time.  I disagree with this business practice and I consider this pulling a fast one.  However, as Rich explained, some customers are not as picky as others so guitars that are rejected by one customer might be accepted by others.  Unfortunately the Variax is just as much a computer as a guitar, so even though it might look fine on the outside, it could be broken on the inside...  Sweetwater may have just tested the mags.

This is one scenario that is possible.  The other that I mentioned is Line 6's incompetence, which has been proven time and time again...  not much explanation is needed there unfortunately.

Cheers,

Laela.

by davidb7170 on 2011-05-08 16:39:36

I'm still doubting the intentional or inadvertant shipping of a returned instrument to me because the factory seals were on the boxes of the charger and other accessories, etc -- no signs of tampering with anything in the box. I know in just repacking it for RMA, I put the manual booklet in the gigbag pocket, not the top packing of the JTV box where it was originally. I put the charger and other accessories back in their little boxes in their original packing locations, but the seals where cut from me opening them. If I would see any sign of an opened box, broken seal, etc, I would be very suspicious. I know I've had that experience with stuff purchased at brick & mortar retailers and at internet based stores. Usually when I see that, I go no further and return for replacement immediately. Depending on how they treat me, I give them a second chance.

The guitar had zero scuff marks or signs that it had been played at all. I put my usual minor fingernail scuffs while I was playing it just below the neck pickup -- just like the rest of my guitars -- nothing major, just apparently due to my picking hand position, but they weren't there before I started checking it out. No, I'm pretty sure this unit was not played before I got it -- at least not long enough for the switching problem to show up -- about an hour or so. Now if the unit was a return, they may have returned it because they didn't like the way it looked without ever playing it (not very likely, as it is a very pretty instrument). Either way, I don't see any deliberate intent on Sweetwater's side to send me a defective unit. It would not be to their advantage, seeing as such actions would only create disgruntled customers that would swear off ever using them in the future. I don't really see a motivation on their part, OR on Line6's part either. What advantage could they possibly see for knowingly passing out defective instruments, knowing that they would returned for repair or refund, again eroding their own customer base....

Now on the problems with the rollout of the JTV's, the materials problems, the switch problems, having to redesign the JTV-59 switches, replace, repair, retool, both in the US at their HQ, and in the Korean plant, they cannot be happy about this either, as I am quite sure they are chagrinned in the least and must just cringe when they find another unit like mine...  It is also cutting into their profits, as they are paying for the shipment to & from their facilities, and the materials & man-hours to fix, not to mention the $$ spent on the redesign, depending on the complexity. I agree, not a shining moment in the history of product rollouts. Not fatal, as long as they learn from the mistakes and move forward with a desirable product that functions as advertized.

By the nature of the failure mode, I'm guessing a heat related issue with the switching circuitry or contact, and in a low voltage, and what should be a low current environment of the guitar -- the voltage is 9 volts, the battery is supposed to last 12 - 14 hours of use, and it is physically small -- not many amp-hours in there. I would let it sit in a powered off state (turn Pod X3L off -- connected by VDI cable, no battery installed in the JTV). Come back in minutes, power it up -- would operate for a few minutes then go into the failure mode. I left it off over night, then received word to ship it back. Before I packed it up (had been off for a little under 24 hours) I tried it again -- In the short time, maybe 15 minutes, it operated flawlessly -- never messed up, but I didn't have an hour to spare for it to fail again as I had to leave, so I pulled the plug and packed it up for the RMA.

On Sweetwaters only testing the mags -- possible, I suppose, but irrelevant. If they tested the modeling, I really doubt they would spend enough time (an hour or so) playing the instrument to have the failure initiate. And unless they charge the battery -- I don't know, but reports I've heard is that a full charge on the battery takes about 4 hours, and people here saying they had to wait to charge their battery before they could try it out when they first got their JTV's. Or, Sweetwater could have a Pod HD500 or X3L sitting there for the purpose of checking out incoming JTV's (doubtful, but possible). My guess is the most likely thing as you remarked is they check out the mags, as no juice is needed to do that, and the physical condition and set up of the incoming instruments. I'm doubting they spend hours with any instrument in their inspection regimen.

Dave

by laelamiles on 2011-05-08 16:40:33

And now there is a 3rd report of this same problem with a JTV from Sweetwater.

Yup, all of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.

by gtrman100 on 2011-05-08 16:51:15

laelamiles wrote:

Really? So you know for a fact that it's going to happen again? Based on what inside info? I'm waiting with bated breath to hear about your source. I've had nothing but good transactions with Sweetwater, and so has everyone I know. They're much better than MF, GC or Sam Ash in my experience.

by laelamiles on 2011-05-08 19:30:11

gtrman100 wrote:

laelamiles wrote:

Really? So you know for a fact that it's going to happen again? Based on what inside info? I'm waiting with bated breath to hear about your source. I've had nothing but good transactions with Sweetwater, and so has everyone I know. They're much better than MF, GC or Sam Ash in my experience.

Dude, chill out:

1.  First of all, it's a sci-fi quote.  If you don't know which sci-fi series it is, don't worry about it.  Just chill out.

2. Secondly, it has *already* happened again.  This is a fact.  This is where you might actually want to panic.

3. Lastly, I personally have a JTV-59 on order.  I've watched this fiasco happen.  I've *experienced* it on *my* own JTV-59.  Now I'm watching it happen again.

by gtrman100 on 2011-05-08 20:42:25

"Dude, chill out". Great comeback, you win...

Sorry you had a bad experience, you're obviously PO'd, I hope they take care of you.

by laelamiles on 2011-05-08 21:05:42

gtrman100 wrote:

"Dude, chill out". Great comeback, you win...

Sorry you had a bad experience, you're obviously PO'd, I hope they take care of you.

Thanks.  They don't really deserve much leeway for repeating exactly the same mistakes over and over again.

The only thing I hope for is that when I get my new JTV-59 it isn't defective with exactly the same issue again...  I really only ever wanted to enjoy the thing. 

Having a grand of my money held up for half a year with nothing to show for it except for forum apologists claiming everything is fine isn't exactly the best experience.

by davidb7170 on 2011-05-09 06:31:17

Gentlemen --

Please do not turn this thread into a debate on apologists, kool-aid drinkers, yada yada yada.... Been through this before as well. This is a support forum and not a debate forum. If you wish to continue down that line of discussion, please start your own thread. All I want to do is follow with pertinent information to the resolution of my problem.

I too just want to get my instrument in good working order and get past this. Whose fault and who's to blame discussions can wait or be pursued elsewhere.

Thanks,

Dave

by davidb7170 on 2011-05-11 17:50:11

I'm still waiting to connect with UPS on my return for switch replacement/repair. After fits and starts, sounds like tomorrow should be the day. I've been the victim of poor timing, it seems. I had the box out there for them to pick up last Friday, but apparently the paperwork didn't make it to UPS. Waited Monday, no show. Tuesday got a delivery from UPS, the delivery guy had no note to make a pick up.This morning at work, I checked my support ticket here and found they had a tracking number for the pick up. Of course I got home to find a "missed you" note from UPS. By the time I found out about the call tag, I was at work and it was too late. This is the first time in years of UPS deliveries that they came before I was home -- figures... I'm usually at the tail end of the local UPS route and don't see them until after five, but of course not today. Anyway they will try again tomorrow per their note, so it will be waiting for them.

Other note -- as mentioned elsewhere on this forum, they got the registration page fixed. I was able to register my 59 today -- wohoo... The link to the Product Registration F.A.Q. still comes up:

Unauthorized

It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake.

Not allowed? To read an FAQ? Really? Who's my administrator?

Am I on Double Secret Probation?

Dave

by johnnyayyy on 2011-05-12 15:57:03

davidb7170 wrote:

The link to the Product Registration F.A.Q. still comes up:

Unauthorized

It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake.

Not allowed? To read an FAQ? Really? Who's my administrator?

Am I on Double Secret Probation?

Dave

Weird... I just clicked the link and it is fine:

Product Registration F.A.Q.

VERSION 7

Created on: Jun 15, 2009 2:11 PM by Line6Tony - Last Modified:  May 12, 2011 12:49 PM by Line6Hugo

Q: Why should I register my Line 6 gear?

A:  Registering your gear allows you to receive free updates, as well as  grants you the ability to update your unit with model packs and access  GuitarPort Online (on units that support these features). It is also  required should you choose to use the benefits of the manufacturers  warranty for repair or replacement of your Line 6 unit.

Please be sure you have all your gear registered to the same account.

Q: How do I register my Line 6 Gear?

A: See the following link to direct you to your product registration page:

Register Gear

The  left side of the screen will display a "Register Gear" link.  Click the  link and choose your product. Most items will have an automatic  completion for the first few characters once you select the product.  Continue to enter your unit's serial number. The serial number is on a  sticker affixed to the back of your unit, and also on the unit's retail  box, and follows this 17 character format: (21)XXXNLNNNNNNNNNN, where X  stands for number or letter, N stands for NUMBER, and L stands for  LETTER. Please be aware that zeroes and letter Os may look identical.  Complete the registration by entering the purchase date.

Exceptions

GuitarPort/Rifftracker:  after selecting GuitarPort from the dropdown menu, enter the eight  digits found on the bottom of the unit (on the right of the bar code).   If your unit is missing the sticker with the serial number, please  connect the unit to Line 6 Monkey and use the ESN number shown on the  left side on Monkey.

Variax

1. Choose  the correct model and color. The serial number field will partially  fill with a serial prefix that will look something like "21xxx125".
  2. Enter the 8 digits on the back of your headstock after the serial number prefix.
  3. Put a 0 at the end of the number.
  4. Fill in the date purchased and click "Submit"

Q: I have an X2 wireless product that was manufactured prior to the Line 6 aquisition.  Can I  register this product?

A:  Because of the serial numbering format used by older X2 wireless  products, our systems are unable to register these products to your Line  6 account However, if you create a support thread marked as a question  or call our support department, we can add your serial number to a  support ticket so it is on record with Line 6.

Q: Are there some Line 6 units and/or accessories that cannot be registered?

A:  Yes.  Early Line 6 units such as AX/AXsys, Flextone (I), and POD(I)  cannot be registered, as their serial numbers will not fit into the  current format.  In addition, some accessory units such as the FBV2,  EX-1, EPROM Upgrades, and XPS boxes do not have a serial number and  cannot be registered.

Q: Where is the serial number located?

A:  The serial number for your Line 6 Product is located in most cases on  the bottom or back of your product. The Pocket Pod serial number can be  found inside the battery-housing compartment behind the top right  battery. The number also appears on the unit's retail box.

Q: I'm having trouble registering my unit. How do I get help?

A: Make sure you are signed in to your Line 6 account and refer to our Registration Help form to send an inquiry to a Line 6 representative. If your unit is missing  the sticker with the serial number, please connect the unit to Line 6  Monkey (free download at http://line6.com/software/) and use the ESN number shown on the left side on Monkey. Provide the ESN number when making your inquiry.

by davidb7170 on 2011-05-12 21:05:58

Yeah, weird... I just tried it, and it worked, but notice the last revision date is today 5/12/2011 12:49 pm -- you'll notice that my note about it was yesterday 5/11/2011. I'm thinking Line6Hugo fixed it -- must have had a ghost in the machine. Thanks Hugo!!

Side note -- UPS finally picked up my 59 tonight at 7:30 pm CDT. Yesterday they were here at 3:27 pm and I was not home from work yet -- didn't know they were coming until I was at work. This morning I put it out at the front door and it sat all day... Go figure. Been trying for a week to get it on its way. Case of miscommunication, bad timing, etc, etc. ANYWAY, it is in transit at last. They'll get it on Monday late. Whew -- next step fix it and get it back here...

Dave

by davidb7170 on 2011-05-26 19:09:45

UPDATE -----

I just got my JTV-59 TSB back tonight about 5 pm CDT from Line 6.. It's now about 9 pm, and I've had it plugged into my X3L and powered on since about 5:30 pm and so far so good. No glitchyness at all. I left it on when I ate dinner, and it was still good when I came back to it in about an hour.

According to my support ticket, they changed the switch. I spoke with Rich a week ago last Friday. He called me and we had a good converstion. The unit was on it's way to them at the time. I truly appreciate the personal attention of both Rich and my customer service rep that I spoke with initially and kept me updated as the issue was taken care of.

I had a start, when I received it tonight, as the label on the Variax box had a different serial number, and said it was a black JTV-69. But the packing list had the right model and color noted, and I breathed a sigh of relief when it was in fact the same guitar. BTW, the replacement switch had the correct size washer and the cream colored switch tip as it was supposed to, so they ARE listening, guys... Just wanted to let y'all know....

The more I play it, the more I like it. I also note that the JTV humbuckers are hotter than the models, and also hotter than my LP's pickups. One thing to note here is that the models are just that -- modeled after some vintage guitars. The strat models have less volume than the LP models, etc. just like they do IRL. I always noted that with my Vax 300. I do plan on adjusting the models up in volume -- mostly the ones I use most frequently -- the gibby's and the fender's, so that I don't have to adjust my volume as I switch between them -- and switch between the models and the mags. I believe this is the nature of the beast of trying to model a specific guitar. They went after specific individual guitars, whereas I prefer to be able to switch sounds independent of volume differences. I am not a purist -- never have been. I always tweek my stuff to suit my tastes and needs. YMMV.

I am rather surprised by the few on the forums who are going to do transplants -- that was their intent from the get go, without ever trying the guitars as they stand. One has been using his, and bought another to transplant. I guess it's all personal preferences, but I do believe the build quality on my JTV-59 is quite good and solid, so not really sure why they want to.. I do know once I'm completely comfortable with the reliability of my 59, I will probably do some tinkering with my 300. Going to start with a new tusq nut -- see if that helps with the sustain, etc. If not, it was inexpensive to try, and would move on to a new neck -- either mighty mite or warmouth, and see if that helps. There's been a few on the forums here that swear by them. I was nevder shot with the looks of the Vax generation 1, and really grew tired of the build quality of the 300 in particular, which is why I picked up my Epi LP Classic, but the 300 got me listening again -- had always been a Fender guy, and  the 300 got me to try the humbucker world...

Anyway, thanks again to the folks with info here., and to the L6 folks who have been taking a lot of heat over the past year. I have a gig tomorrow night, and I'm going to transplant my straplocks from my Vax 300 to my JTV-59, so I can use it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dave

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.