These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

G String Jitter and Saddle "Woosh" Noise
by shawngee on 2011-05-09 17:34:32

I have a couple issues with my JTV-59. First of all, when doing alternate tunings that change the tuning of the G string, it produces a sort of jittery sound. I have included a clip, first with the G string tuned down to the F# and then a G with magnetic pickups (though a G with no tuning on the models sounds fine too).

Secondly, and I fear this might just be a part of the variax's design, I get a wooshing noise from the strings sliding on the saddles when my palm hits the strings. This gets more noticeable with more gain, and with certain models such as the les paul bridge I am playing in the clip. The clip is of the model first, and then the magnetic pickup.

Does anyone else notice this noise when playing, or is it just me? I realize I'm using in ear monitors, which makes every little nuance jump out, but it seems quite loud compared to the signal, even on lower gain settings.

Finally, my model knob's cap fell off today! Is there a way to reattach it? I'm guessing it was glued in originally, because pressing it in doesn't make it stay.

Re: G String Jitter and Saddle "Woosh" Noise
by Rowbi on 2011-05-10 01:17:11

I would say call Line 6.  they are very keen to resolve any issues with new JTV's asap.  I actually saw the model knob cap fall off a demo model of a JTV69 that I played.  aparently it was an early beta guitar and that knob cap fixing was modified for the production models, so L6 will likely be interested to hear about that I'm sure.

I don't have my JTV59 yet to compare, but I don't really hear the jittering... but I am listening on really small in ear buds at the moment (I'm not at home to use good cans or monitors).  the whooshing thing, is it like a high pitched sort of hunting sound.  bu hunting I mean it's not a steady note, it's a note that darts around changing pitch a lot.  if that's what you mean, yeah I hear that... kinda sounds a little like interference.  perhaps someone else with a JTV can pitch in and try it out

Cheers

Rowbi

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-05-10 08:57:07

To reiterate Rowbi's point, Line 6 are keen as always to check into issues like knobs falling off for sure.

Regarding the audio clips. On the 'jittery' sound I'm not hearing it TBH, but what I am hearing is something that sounds a little bit like distortion creeping in at the beginning of each note and as if the note's being played with a little more attack maybe than when the mag pickup comes in.  Pitch change in real time is difficult to achieve and I would normally expect to hear obvious audible 'warbling' like I can occasionally on my Variax 700 12 string acoustic or chime models, but what I am hearing in your clip is not the same at all - seems to be something in the pickup model that's provideing a bit of grit maybe.  What happens if you put the modelled side into standard tuning with the same gutar model selected: does the slight 'zzzz' I'm hearing stop altogether?

The second clip which seems to be exhibiting some string noise doesn't sound abnormal to me on standard computer speakers - even for some standard guitars.  I'll need to listen to this on better speakers on my main system to be fair.

I don't yet have my JTV-59 to compare anything with you unfortunately.

Nick

by Ekoldr on 2011-05-10 10:00:34

Hows it going all? The first clip sounds like aliasing to me. Possibly a result of the distortion applied especially if its a digital distortion software or similar. I would say for best results in trouble shooting noise, avoid using any effects or even models on Line 6 products if only to rule out that the noise isn't coming from them and not the guitar. On the second clip it sounds like the G may be slightly out of tune. In my experience with these guitars if they aren't in darn near perfect tune you will always get a slight warble when alt. tuned. As with any stringed instrument the vibrating string is constantly changing pitch. It just happens to fast and on either side of our "in tune" spectrum that our ears are fooled into hearing the correct pitch. This is then amplified by the digital software altering the sound of the string in real time. I hope that helps.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-05-10 10:22:32

Having listened again on better speakers to the first clip, I am hearing a tiny bit of what sounds like string buzz on the plain G note in the second half of the clip more on the first pluck than the second.  And I do mean tiny.   It's possible IMO that this slight buzz might be aliasing and the effect is more noticeable due to the pitch shift perhaps.  I think the point that has been raised about the guitar being spot-on in tune is a good one too although pitch change is supposed to be calculated relative to the source note, but making sure the guitar is properly in-tune is always a good move.

Nick

by shawngee on 2011-05-10 10:45:28

Yes, I was running though my Axe-Fx. When it comes to the noise from the strings sliding over the saddles, it is always there, even when there is no amp. Certain guitar models boost this frequency more drastically than others, and gain from an amp or amp sim makes it more apparent as well. I recorded a clip with no amp sim and just pressing my palm against the strings so you can hear what I'm talking about. I then turn on the amp sim and press my palm again, then play some chords.

I think that the jittery sound is in-fact string buzz, which is amplified when using alternate tunings. It only seems to occur when playing an open G and not when fretting notes. And no it doesn't matter if it is out of tune or if an amp sim is used.

As long as I understand what these problems are, and that they aren't out of the ordinary, I can avoid them. I just will use the magnetic pickups when I need a HB sound with lots of gain. Everything comes through much clearer with IEMs a few millimeters away from my eardrum too.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.