These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Variax 500, VDI cable plugged into POD HD500 = nothing?
by Teerexness on 2011-05-10 12:15:53

Man, I love the Variax and I am just starting to turn the corner toward liking my POD HD 500. But it seems like there's always a roadblock every time I want them to make sweet music together. First it was the POD HD500 not communicating with Workbench via my MacBook Pro and my Variax 500. I just checked again and that's still unresolved. Workbench opens up and sees a POD HD500 Variax Interface with a question mark beside it, and it also sees a Variax 500/700 in offline mode (whatever that means).

Now, after major custom woodworking among other things, I have removed the innards of a Variax 500 and but them into my beloved ESP Eclipse II. Beautiful work by all involved and via the clunky Variax footswitch/power supply method of plugging it into the POD HD500's analog guitar input, it works and sounds amazing. However, plugging in the VDI cable between the ESP/Variax 500 and the POD HD500 produces absolutely nothing.

Anybody know what I am missing here?

Re: Variax 500, VDI cable plugged into POD HD500 = nothing?
by guitars69 on 2011-05-10 12:17:23

I'm betting you need to set the tone to the VDI port for it's input.  You can choose guitar, aux, mic, VDI and combinations there of.  If you're set to guitar or aux only, then the VDI won't be heard.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-05-10 12:19:51

So, the Variax is properly detected still after the transplant by Monkey and Workbench if I understand you correctly?

Assuming that to be the case, are you sure you've set the HD500 input on a per preset bases to include Variax as an option - so either Variax, Guitar + Variax or Guitar + Variax + Aux?

Nick

by Teerexness on 2011-05-10 12:43:00

In POD HD500 Edit, Input 1 Source is Variax, Input 2 Source is Guitar+Aux. Unplugging 1/4" cable at Variax yields no sound. Plugging it back in, perfect sound. The same results if done at the POD end.

by Teerexness on 2011-05-10 13:14:52

Both Monkey and Workbench recognize the Variax 500 just fine. Although Workbench always shows the Variax 500 being in some cryptic "offline mode", whatever that means.

The preset I'm using has the Variax as an input. No sound via that cable alone though.

by jasonbogen on 2011-05-10 13:34:03

Have you tried another VDI cable.  You could use a standard ethernet cable for testing, though you shouldn't use it long term.

by Teerexness on 2011-05-10 13:40:53

I do not have another VDI cable, but I could probably find an extra Ethernet cable somewhere.

RE: Variax 500, VDI cable plugged into POD HD500 = nothing?
by Line6david on 2011-05-12 08:55:31

Hi,

I would suggest trying a new cable as well. Make sure it's a standard Cat5e or Cat 6.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: Variax 500, VDI cable plugged into POD HD500 = nothing?
by Teerexness on 2011-05-12 17:13:18

I just plugged a new cat 5 Ethernet cable in from the Variax 500 to the POD HD500 Variax input and again, no sound using a patch where the Variax input is active. The Variax again shows up fine in Workbench in "offline mode" (whatever that means). I was really into the idea of only having to take my ESP/Variax 500, a VDI cable and my POD HD 500 to a gig or a session.

I am seriously starting to think that my POD HD 500 is faulty at this point.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-05-13 01:12:11

I think the likelihood personally, given the guitar is a transplanted Variax 500 is that you have a problem with the RJ-45 jack assembly or circuit board in the guitar itself.  You really need to try the guitar connect by VDI to another device such as a POD XT Live, X3 Live or Variax USB interface.  The fact that the TRS 1/4" output works is not necessarily relevant when it comes to the digital connection - check the RJ-45 solder joints on the circuit board, the internal ribbon cable (make sure it's connected and seated properly at both ends) and take a peek inside the open part of the RJ-45 jack socket using a torch to make sure all the gold coloured springy 'finger' connectors are sitting at the same height and that none of them are bent

Regards

Nick

by Teerexness on 2011-05-13 06:53:39

I would be more than willing to blame this on the Variax transplant. Given all the disconnecting and reconnecting, it's easy to imagine this being the culprit. But these Variax/POD HD500 communication problems presented themselves immediately after purchasing the POD HD500 and the Workbench cables/software last Winter. This was before the Variax 500 had been tampered with in any way beyond intonation adjustments or new strings. And for the sake of diagnostic clarity, the connection to my MacBook Pro via the Variax USB interface worked/works (after several less than smooth software updates) just fine before and after the Variax transplant. It always says it's in "offline mode", but it sees the Variax 500 and I'm able to edit my Variax (before and after the transplant).

Here's a link to my previous (pre-Variax transplant) thread regarding the POD and Workbench.

http://line6.com/community/thread/51124?tstart=0

ThanksNick.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-05-13 08:15:54

Thanks for providing clarity.  From what you've described the Variax itself does still seem to work properly via another device, so that does rule the guitar out as being the problem i guess.  I have a Variax 300 and a Variax 700 - both work fine with the HD500.  This is a long shot I guess, but do you know anyone else with a Variax that you could try with your HD500?   That would possibly help prove the HD500 to be working correctly or highlight the need to continue investigating the HD500 as the definite cause.

Nick

by ffcc on 2012-02-17 12:20:54

The problem is simply power supply.

Plug the A-B Box used to power the Variax at the same time (with the VDI cable) and everything will work.

If you don't use the additional power supply, intermitently will occur a problem.

by Teerexness on 2012-02-17 12:41:45

It turned out that the problem was indeed power. The power getting to the Variax electronics was being stopped intermittently at the VDI connector at the guitar. After some difficulty finding/waiting for a new connector replacement, it works perfectly now. And what a wonderful rig this ESP/Variax/Pod HD500 combination turned out to be!

Thanks for the help everybody!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.