These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

variax 500 and workbench
by RAlanJackson on 2011-05-12 04:32:53

I have a variax 500 and workbench. When I connect everything up youo are asked to run monkey to search for updates etc. but Momnkey does not see the guitar and just quits - so I cant get past first base.

How do I get the Monkey to see the guitar.

I am on Windows 7

I also have another side issue when I am connected to my amps through the powersupply there is alot of unwanted noise - not mains hum but hissing and popping - which seems to be getting louder.

Is this aproblem with the power supply? - if so can it be repaired? or would a new one solve the problem.

RE: variax 500 and workbench
by Line6Don on 2011-05-16 09:51:52

Hey RAlanJackson,

Please try removing any additional unnecessary USB and firmware devices from your computer when troubleshooting this issue. Make sure to connect it directly to a USB port and not a USB hub, extension, or keyboard of any kind, preferably connect it to a USB port on the rear of computer. Try using additional USB cables and every USB port available.

Make sure that you are using a 1/4" TRS cable connection from the power supply to the guitar.

If you are still having issues, please let us know.

Re: RE: variax 500 and workbench
by RAlanJackson on 2011-05-17 10:47:33

Thanks Line6Don

I have done as you suggested AND I have also been able to get into Monkey and down load the updated software SO part of the problem solved BUT I still seem to be getting alot of electricaltype  interference - random crackling and pops - not mains hum, this is intrusive. I seem to be able to play for a while and then this interferance starts and builds up. Dont know how to explain it otherwise.

One last question now that I am in Workbench - I am still only a rookie user - how do you turn the 6th string off as per open G tuning like Mr Richards?

I want to be able to gig with this guitar and have got high hopes. I play in a covers band and am a bit of an oldy but this is good fun and keeps me out of the pub (sometimes) - If anyone is interested take a look at www.thegrooves.co.uk I'm the guy with the white strat soon to be black variax (Ihope)

many thanks

Alan

Rock and Roll

RE: variax 500 and workbench
by Line6Don on 2011-06-06 10:23:34

Hey RAlanJackson,

If you have been able to connect to line 6 Monkey, please try to update the flash memory of the guitar to make sure that software is up to date and creating this noise you are hearing.

If you after performing the update, you still are hearing noise, make sure to check all of the cable connections to make sure there is nothing wrong with them.

What do you mean turn it off? as in disable the capo for the 6th string? If so all you need to do is set the sixth string to normal pitch and it will not effect its tuning of that string.

by RAlanJackson on 2011-06-07 03:51:14

Thanks Line6Don

You seem to be the only guy that is interested so thanks for staying with me.

Since we last communicated, I have noticed that the electrical pops and bangs subside a little after I have been playing for a while but then the last time I played they returned after about half an hour.

I wll do as you suggest and try updating the guitar and let you know how I go on.

Whay I mean by turning the string off is so that it doesnt sound at all ie only the remaining 5 strings sound when tuned to an open G. apparently 'Keef' used to take the 6th string off when playing such numbers as Brown Sugar, Start me up, Honky Tonk Women - so is there a way of silencing the 6th string so that you can really get some power into the chordal riffs without worrying about the 6 th string?

Rock and Roll

Alan

by pinoguitar on 2011-06-07 06:20:39

Hello Alan!

I had this electrical noises on my 300 and 700.  And I figured out that it came from the volume poti. I opened the guitar, cleaned the Volume poti with contact spray and the noises have been gone. I don't understand how it could be, because I thought the electrical signal is not going through the potentiometer, but that worked fine for me.

Best regards, Pino

by RAlanJackson on 2011-06-07 06:24:37

Howdy Pino

Cool I will give it a try

I take it we do sugery by taking off the back plate and going in that way?

Rock and Roll

Alan

by pinoguitar on 2011-06-07 06:38:46

Hi Alan, I don't own a 500, but it seems to be the same as the 700. So by taking off the back plate, yes.

My new JTV don't have this trouble, that's good!  :-)

Greetings from Germany, Pino

by RAlanJackson on 2011-06-07 06:48:32

Ok Thanks

I will have go.

I got my 500 just before the JTV came out so am v jealous. I had a new warmoth neck put on it so now it plays really nice. If the 500does well once I get it all going prpoerly I would probably have to save up for the JTV.

How are you finding it? good sound? good to play? do you gig with it?

By the way do you know how to silence the 6th string through workbench? I have seen references to turning off the 6th string when in open G for those KR chordal riffs - but I didnt see an obvious way of doing it in workbench.

Thanks for the reply

Rock and Roll

Alan

by pinoguitar on 2011-06-07 07:19:31

Yes Alan, I do gig with it, that what this guitar is for ;-)

The JTV is good to play. The sounds are still the same, but the alternate tuning is much better, low latency and it sounds much better than on the old variax.

You can silence the strings only in the "String Volume Setup" but then it will be for all sounds. It's not possible to do this for each sound. I mute the string that should be silent with my fingers.

Greetings, Pino

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.