These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Power supply is dead!
by MoonfreaK on 2011-05-12 04:51:28

I bought the POD HD300 a couple of months ago.

Now, one morning the power adapter was totally dead.

Has any other of you POD HD users encountered this problem?

How could I trust equipment that just stops working over night?

I will have to figure out a new live setup that will not include any line6 stuff, I suppose..

Re: Power supply is dead!
by joaokorb on 2011-05-12 05:00:30

You can always buy another power supply.

by Rowbi on 2011-05-12 05:01:17

hey man.  I've got 3 POD HD's (300/400/500), all power supplies working fine.

seriously I can imagine you're not happy, but a power supply is a power supply.  Unless you're going to buy some new age amp that runs of solar power, there's never any guarantees that hardware will never fail, and of course every piece of hardware needs a power supply, as nothing actually runs on 240 (or 120) volts internally).

The best thing to do is contact line 6 direct and they'll arrange a new PSU for you (call the US office during normal ofice hours, california time).  numbers are via the contact us link at the bottom of this page...  just a thought though, are you sure it's a faulty PSU?  I mean does the light not come on, on the PSU?  have you tried another device in the same wall socket to be 100% certain that it's the PSU?

What I can say is I can't remember seeing another person come on here saying a PSU has failed.  that's not to say it hasn't happened, but usually anything that's a common issue someone like me (I'm on here each day) would notice.  So you must just be really unlucky.

Also, if you're playing live if your main rig fails, it's a real pain, but you'll always have your backup right to fall back on... right??

Cheers

Rowbi

by MoonfreaK on 2011-05-12 05:17:13

Let us hope I am just unlucky. That would meen everything is ok as soon as I get a new power supply.

And yes I've checked it in different sockets and the led is dead.

Stompboxes also works with batteries if the PSU would die surprisingly.

I am to poor to have a total backup rig, but can gig with less fx and worse sound of course.

I also own a old flextone head that works fine except for the floorboard that is totally useless and breaks down once a week and in that case you can't even buy a new one.

So the fact that if you don't have the latest Line6 gear you will not get any support, because they stop manufacturing your product, what is really annoying.

I guess that little power supply problem was the final straw and pissed me off a bit.

But the ux2 works fine, except on windows 7.

by Rowbi on 2011-05-12 05:48:22

I understand you can't buy the old floorboard anymore, but I was under the impression that L6 still supported it for servicing??  perhaps I'm wrong on that...   Have you tried to have it fixed by L6, or perhaps tried to self repair?  My first port of call would be the connector in the back of the pedal and the amp, and also the cable....

as for the UX2 and Windows 7... I've never had a problem that's been caused by L6.  I've had the odd issue generally with audio recording (with any audio gear I own, not just L6) and usually it boils down to me installing some cr4p, and needing to rebuild my PC.  But as I work in IT, that's par for the course.

Cheers

Rowbi

by jlh2011 on 2011-05-12 12:18:09

I had to have my power adapter replaced on my HD500. Purchased Jan. 2011.

The LED on the power adapter stopped lighting thus no power to the unit.

I was directed to go to the nearest service center but I could have bought a new adapter for that price not to mention they couldn't look at it for 2-3 weeks.

I called customer support (818) 575-3600 and explained my delima. They asked for my username and verified I had registered my pod. I received another power adapter in the mail 3 days later. I was very impressed with the support I received.

So yes, at least one other has had this problem.

I am glad the warranty covered but if I was ever going to gig again I would surely invest in a back up power adapter given my experience.

by maqaf1 on 2011-05-26 22:29:17

jlh2011 wrote:

I had to have my power adapter replaced on my HD500. Purchased Jan. 2011.

The LED on the power adapter stopped lighting thus no power to the unit.

So yes, at least one other has had this problem.

I am glad the warranty covered but if I was ever going to gig again I would surely invest in a back up power adapter given my experience.

I'll join the list of those with PSU issues. This is not an isolated incident. I know of 2 others locally (and that's just VT) that have had issues. I've been using my HD500 almost nonstop in the studio and live for 4 months.It always travels in a case with me and is never manhandled by the roadcrew.  I plugged it in at the gig for soundcheck and it didn't power up. At first I thought the sound company hadn't powered up the drop boxes, but quickly discovered it was the PSU-no pilot light. After jiggling the transformer end around, I finally got it to come on. and quickly got the gaffers and taped it securely. (and yes, I do have a backup unit: my old XT w/FB)

The next day I went back to Daddy's Junky Music (who had an HD in stock) and swapped out the PSU.

by robertcrawford1 on 2011-10-08 05:43:15

Just bought a new 500HD that won't power up.  I'm assuming/hoping it's a bad power supply as a new one is on the way from Sweetwater.  This is my first experience with Line 6, so I hope this is not indicative of the kind of reliability I can expect...it certainly seems that a small up front investment to include a reliable PSU would be smart if you intended to market your gear to working musicians.  That said, I currently carry TWO backup PSUs for my Vox Tonelab.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.