These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Volume peaking and cracking when mic plugged in to toneport
by dividedbyzach on 2011-05-12 16:58:07

Well I finally have all my drivers and hardware up to date but now when I plug in my toneport to my imac, the line level keeps peaking and cracking.

I have a condesor mic plugged into mic 1 and sometimes (not always) when I press phantom power it keeps spiking and crackling at max volume.

Any idea what's happening? It's not due to any external sound...When I clap my hands or check the mic it doesn't peak, it seems like a ground glitch.

RE: Volume peaking and cracking when mic plugged in to toneport
by Line6Don on 2011-05-16 10:34:52

Hey dividedbyzach,

Make sure that your mic cables connections are good. Make sure the condenser is not to close to the source. Try turning down the gain a little bit and monitoring the levels within the DAW to make sure its not too loud.

If you are sure that the cracking is not due to a signal overload or clipping, then please double check all USB connections.Please try removing any additional unnecessary USB and firmware devices from your computer when troubleshooting this issue. Make sure to connect it directly to a USB port and not a USB hub, extension, or keyboard of any kind, preferably connect it to a USB port on the rear of computer. Try using additional USB cables and every USB port available.

Make sure that the UX2 is operating at the same BitRate and Sampling Rate as your Host application or Operating System.

To check or change the Bit Rate and Sampling rate for your UX2, Launch the Line 6 Audio-MIDI device menu located in control panel in Windows, and the system preferences in Mac OSX. In addition, try increasing the buffer size on the Line 6 Audio-MIDI device menu as well.

Re: RE: Volume peaking and cracking when mic plugged in to toneport
by dividedbyzach on 2011-05-17 11:37:10

Hi Don-

The problem seems to only happen every OTHER time I try to record..

After trying everything else - usb cord, using my Macbook instead of iMac, restarting, etc., I replaced mic cord with brand new cord and it worked fine.

I used the OLD mic chord with my vocal mic and it worked fine...No idea.

It works for now, so thanks!

Re: RE: Volume peaking and cracking when mic plugged in to toneport
by dividedbyzach on 2011-05-27 11:49:26

Hi Don

Same problem again. Worked fine for 2 practices then happened again last night. Ruined an hour long recording session. There is no rhyme or reason behind this. One practice, I just hit record and i get an hour of crisp, perfect live recording from the condensor mic, the next practice, as soon as I hit phantom power, it just cracks and pops the entire time. Please advise! I'm on my last nerves with this product. Ready to go back to cassette recording.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.