These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

A string out?
by lurch101 on 2011-05-14 04:28:39

I recently purchased a Variax 700 (used) which worked perfectly for a few months, but recently the A string has been significantly quieter than all the others.  Could this be a cable problem (I'm using an old network cable I had around from my POD/Floorboard setup), or is it more likely something internal?  I can record an example if need be.  Thanks for the help.

Re: A string out?
by amx05462 on 2011-05-14 04:39:21

most likely  its a  pickup  on its  way  out.    try spraying   around  the  pickup with contact  cleaner.     they  ground to the  saddle     through  the   metal case  and    if it gets  dirty    it doesnt ground  right  if that doesnt  cure  it then    most  likely   you will have to replace  it.

by lurch101 on 2011-05-15 03:16:41

Is there a diagram of how to do that anywere?  Should I just remove the backplate and check the connection?

by amx05462 on 2011-05-15 03:32:50

you can do that  .     you might  even want  to resolder the  joint  to it. but  most  likely  what  you see  wont tell you  anything. try  the  contact  cleaner

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.