These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Help with korean 69 setup
by D4rr3n on 2011-05-14 12:58:17

Hi all,

I've had my 69 for a couple of months now and love the technology but really dislike how the guitar plays.  The setup when I recived the guitar would have embaresed a budget acoustic and although I've been "tweaking" it for a while it's still not nice.

I've been looking at the discussion forums and it seems that there is some disatisfaction with the potential to set these guitars up satisfactorly.  Several people have stated that the guitars are designed with a particular standard "set up" and that the set up should then be taylored to the individual player.

While I totally understand that my question is what sort of set up is the "standard" for a 69?  What neck relief should I aim for? what height of action should I start with?  That sort of basic set up info seems readily availble for most other manufacturers but I can't find it for my 69.

Could anyone help?

Darren

Re: Help with korean 69 setup
by ozbadman on 2011-05-14 13:42:20

Try this for some general hints on setting up guitars:

http://mysite.verizon.net/jazz.guitar/guitarsetup.htm#Truss%20Rod%20Adjustment

by BBarker on 2011-05-15 07:50:02

Here is another site that might help you.  Once you get the hang of it, it's not to hard.

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/stratocaster-setup-guide

by D4rr3n on 2011-05-15 09:52:53

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips.  I'm familiar with the process and have set up many guitars in the past, I just can't get this 69 playing well.

I understand the general relationship between radius, relief and action but also understand that the recommended fender setup may not (indeed does not) work well on the 69.

Hence my post here in the hope that someone from line6/tyler might let me know how they would expect a 69 to be set up as "standard"

by gtrman100 on 2011-05-15 18:24:33

This won't answer your question, but guitar setup is a personal choice, and there is no one way to do it. If you look at the Fender specs, etc, they are a starting point, but can and should be changed to your personal taste. You haven't stated what you don't like about the guitars setup. Is the action too high? Does it buzz on certain frets? Give us an idea of what the problem is and we might be able to steer you in the right direction.

If you tweak it for a while and can't get it adjusted the way you like, I'd take it to a reputable luthier and explain to him what you like. It may need a minor fret file to have it playing the way you like.

by ablock on 2011-05-25 22:54:21

Hi Guys,

Just received my JTV59 Korean Black in Australia from the US.

Absolutely love the electrics and sounds..!

I agree at this early stage that the intonation will need a bit of work - I have a fleet of other guitars - and its clear the playability needs improvement.

ie Difficult to get tuning correct on the frets close to the nut compared to those fretted higher up (with brand new strings of course)

My question:  Will having a reputable luthier here set it up, void a warranty with Line 6?

ab

by gtrman100 on 2011-05-25 23:40:54

Getting the guitar setup by a pro shouldn't affect the warranty at all, if by setup we're talking about truss rod adjustment, bridge saddle height and intonation, maybe slight fret or nut file. Many guitars, especially in the $700 price range, benefit from a pro setup.

If you're having problems setting up the intonation, you might try a fresh set of strings. Sometimes old or defective strings can affect the way the harmonic sounds at the 12th fret when you're adjusting the intonation. Also, if the action is a bit high, it can be tough to get the guitar in tune all the way up the neck. I always do all the other adjustments first, getting the guitar playing well, and then adjust the intonation. Hope this helps,

by ozbadman on 2011-05-25 23:42:33

If it's just a set-up, I can't see how that could void a warranty. (1) Because you would be expected to do it and (2) how would they even know?

Now if the luthier started filing down frets etc., then the warranty on the guitar itself would be invalid, but the warranty on replacing the electronics would probably still be honoured. If all the luthier does is adjust the intonation, truss-rod, bridge height and bridge angle I think you would be fine.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.