These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

pickups much louder than variax setting on 59
by slotools on 2011-05-14 14:02:48

The pickups are so much louder that it is not good to go from the variax side to the mag pickups side-  is there a possible resolve??

Re: pickups much louder than variax setting on 59
by ozbadman on 2011-05-14 14:57:43

You can adjust the settings of each of the models using Workbench. You could use this to equalize to your satisfaction.

David.

by slotools on 2011-05-14 15:00:53

yeah I know- was hoping for a global resolve.

by ozbadman on 2011-05-14 15:09:15

No unfortunately. Possibly file a bug report with Line 6.

by slotools on 2011-05-14 15:10:39

thanks for your help- apreciate it.

by MerlinFL on 2011-05-14 23:38:08

slotools wrote:

The pickups are so much louder that it is not good to go from the variax side to the mag pickups side-  is there a possible resolve??

Have you done any adjustments to the Modeled sounds using workbench?

I have the opposite situation which I did intentionally years ago with my Vax 700's.  I made nearly every guitar model anywhere from +4 db hotter to a whopping +18db hotter so I can overdrive ANY amp with just using my volume knob. I now use the mag pups (almost like a fixed modeled guitar) for cleaner bits or other special sounds I require for certain songs I cover.

If it is much more drastic and truly sounds like a glitch, then I would go with the other recommendations of getting a trouble ticket started to try to resolve your situation.

Best of luck and take care,

Neal

Yep - I Beta tested both models 59US and 89US, but I started out with Vax 700s as my exclusive guitars from 2006 through October last year.

Neal_Line6_Live_021811.jpg

by bigolsparky on 2011-05-24 15:40:24

They are the same on a JTV89.  I could jack the volume to max on workbench, but it seems this issue should be addressed by Line 6.

by Sampo72 on 2011-05-25 22:21:36

I have 69 with opposite situation -- models are way louder than pickups. I know that they've included natural differencies of output of modeled guitars, but I think bridge humbucker on Lester model should be about as loud as magnetic bridge humbucker, no?

by SWoRd on 2011-05-26 04:08:37

How about just adjusting the height of the magnetic pick-up a bit? ... close to strings = loud.

Best regards

Soren

by bigolsparky on 2011-05-26 04:35:51

I think I would prefer this scenario.  Piezo pickups louder would be easier to reconcile using workbench.  I have my pickups (humbuckers) almost adjusted to the point of falling off the screws and they are still louder.  Most pickup manufacturers will tell you that they should be close to the strings, but if I did that you wouldn't be able to hear the "Variax" pickups.  Line 6 we need a fix or a recall!  Here is another issue.  When I use my other guitars in the input side of the HD500, they are much softer than the Variax using the Variax cable.  I have been correcting this with a "volume knob".  I bought a Fulltone boost pedal to to run into the input of the HD500 and I will be experimenting with that.  I also got a true bypass looper, as there is no true bypass in the HD500 as far as I can tell.

by Sampo72 on 2011-05-26 21:59:17

Sore, that would do the trick ... but the height and output of pickups are about the same as my other guitars. Actually in real life situation (band practise, not gig though) the vax settings did overdrive the rest of the rig, and not in a good way, espcecially M13 (in distortion-after-delay way). I have all kinds of other problems with my 69 too, so I'll wait until replacement arrives before I will start to mess with workbenck.

How does one do reset on these guitars? I did not find anything on manual .... 

by ozbadman on 2011-05-26 22:50:16

Sampo72 wrote:

How does one do reset on these guitars? I did not find anything on manual .... 

There is a factory reset of models detailed in the manual, and it also mentions to do a full reset you need to reflash the guitar (resend the firmware)

by Sampo72 on 2011-05-26 23:26:08

Damn. I should learn to read and maybe after then complain about my other problems! Thanks!

by Sampo72 on 2011-05-30 00:10:09

Ha !!! I checked and turns out that paper manual did not mention reset.

by ozbadman on 2011-05-30 09:00:03

Sampo72 wrote:

Ha !!! I checked and turns out that paper manual did not mention reset.

Paper? What is this paper of which you speak?

by Sampo72 on 2011-05-30 22:45:32

There used to be saying in Finnish that went something like "you cannot read email in toilet", it has somewhat changed with all these laptops, iPads and fancy stuff. Still, paper and even paper manuals has their uses, especially in toilet.

(I received my guitar this month but Pilot's Handbook was dated 2010 and there was some stuff missing compared to online version)

by ozbadman on 2011-05-30 23:15:42

Sampo72 wrote:

There used to be saying in Finnish that went something like "you cannot read email in toilet", it has somewhat changed with all these laptops, iPads and fancy stuff. Still, paper and even paper manuals has their uses, especially in toilet.

Yep. I tried wiping my butt with my iPad the other day and it didn't turn out too well

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.