These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Riffworks Line 6 / Standard Edition

Replacement Rifftracker Software
by Andyby89 on 2011-05-15 12:15:02

I purchased the Rifftracker software with the Guitarport about seven years ago which was installed on a previous laptop. I was interested in using it again and have managed to find the installation disc which says it is for Guitarport version 2.5 and Riffworks 1.0 as well as my Guitarport and tried installing it on my current laptop but had trouble with the installation due to having Windows 7. Unfortunately I don't have the box so can't remember whether I would have had any sort of license key, so I was wondering if there is any way I can receive an updated version of the software without having to purchase the software again. Ideally I would be installing it on my iMac, however if this counts as a separate purchase I can use the software on my laptop with Windows 7.

Any help would be much appreciated

Re: RE: Replacement Rifftracker Software
by Kneehow on 2011-05-19 16:26:37

Much has changed over the years... yes, I definitely can confirm that your red GuitarPort/Rifftracker device has the Riffworks (original) and Riffworks 2 Line 6 Edition authorizations in the chipset of your unit.

Here's the snag: when Vista came out (and 10.5.x OSX), that was near the tail end of compatibility for Riffworks 2 Line 6 Edition software build. After Windows 7 and Snow Leopard, a change occurred in the licensing scheme.

All previous Riffworks users were offered a discounted upgrade to Sonoma Wireworks' current (Windows 7) Riffworks Standard 2.5 licensing system, which has done away with hardware device specific licenses that you were a part of in the past.

So what to make of this info?

1. If you don't wish to do anything (in terms of financial cost), you can continue to run the Riffworks 2 Line 6 Edition software... but it'll have to be installed on an older version of Mac OSX or Windows XP/Vista. This may or may not be available to you in 2011.

2.Upgrade to Sonoma's newest Riffworks Standard 2.5 which is through them: http://www.sonomawireworks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10

Thelatest version of their software will allow you to use any ASIO audio device as the soundcard, and the licensing is no longer tied to a hardware device. Also, this version is current and is supported by them to run on the latest Windows/Mac operating systems out there in 2011.

Hope this wasn't too confusing. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Re: Replacement Rifftracker Software
by jasonatsonoma on 2011-05-20 12:27:10

Hello Andyby89,

I handle support for Sonoma and I wanted to clarify a few things that may be confusing or incorrect. Because you have RiffWorks v1(which is what came with the RiffTracker bundle) the Line 6 Edition v2 will not work for you. You will not be able to activate it.

The Line 6 Edition is not fully compatible with the latest OSs. Many users have reported mixed results on Windows 7. Because the Line 6 Edition wa discontinued there are no updates for it. The Line 6 Edition is not compatible at all with Snow Leopard.

There is an upgrade path from the version you have to RiffWorks Standard. You can read more about it on the link below.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/line6_crossgrade.php

Theother option would be to use RiffWorks T4. It is the free version of our software. It is available for download on the page linked to below.

www.sonomawireworks.com/T4/

If you have purchased any drummers from Line 6 we can transfer them to your Sonoma Account for use with RiffWorks Standard or T4. There is no need to buy them twice.

You can always contact us directly by filling out the support form on our website.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/support_form.php

-Jason

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.