These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Anyone have a Warmoth standard thin neck and compare it to a jtv?
by mrmykl on 2011-05-16 12:54:16

Hey, I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a new JTV, the 59 most likely, but as there are none in town to play I wonder if anyone has one and compare the neck feel to a Warmoth standard thin neck?  I've got one on both my Variax 300s and adore them.  Don't know if the shorter scale length is going to bother me either...thx.

Re: Anyone have a Warmoth standard thin neck and compare it to a jtv?
by markcockerill on 2011-05-18 03:51:38

I put a Warmoth neck on my 69 and it works great but that is a Strat neck. You might want to play a 59 first before you buy as you will not be able to change the neck quite so easily. The shorter scale length is a matter of personal choice, I had a Gibson SG classic a few years back and just didn't work for me, scale length the issue, I dunno, it became pretty clear I am a strat guy.

The 69 will give you more options for putting on a neck of your choice if you don't like the Tyler designed one.

Re: Anyone have a Warmoth standard thin neck and compare it to a jtv?
by toasterdude on 2011-05-23 14:45:45

mrmykl wrote:

Hey, I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a new JTV, the 59 most likely, but as there are none in town to play I wonder if anyone has one and compare the neck feel to a Warmoth standard thin neck?  I've got one on both my Variax 300s and adore them.  Don't know if the shorter scale length is going to bother me either...thx.

Necks are a matter of taste but a warmoth standard thin neck of which I have 2 is much less chucnky than the 59 neck. The shorter scale neck will also make a difference. As others have said. . . .no neck swapping on 59. I have played the 59 so much now that the warmoth felt uncomfortable when I first picked it up. After about 20 minutes I was digging the warmoth again.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.