These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Vetta

How to get a DRY line-level analog signal from Vetta II / Vetta II HD?
by 1oldguitarman on 2011-05-18 23:08:02

I need a dry guitar signal at line level to feed my new Digitech Vocalist Live 5 (separate subject, but the Vocalist Live 5 is pretty amazing).  Easy answer is to use a 1/4" cable from Variax-through-Digitech-Vocalist-to-Vetta.

However, I use my Variax 700's with the digital connection into Vetta II HD for the obvious benefit of FBV-one-switch-selection of all amp and guitar settings.  Would prefer NOT to switch to 1/4" jack from Vetta.

I've pored over my Vetta II manual, scoured Vetta support discussions and FAQ's and have not found the answer.

With "NORMAL OUTPUT" settings on the Vetta, line-level output is available from the 1/4" Direct/Wet Output jacks, but it appears it will always be wet.  Now, if I have very few effects selected, the Vocalist can determine my chords and make wonderful harmonies.  Not so when you add lots of distortion, modulation, etc. etc., hence the need for a dry signal.

Unfortunately, I don't see how I can make the unbalanced 1/4" output DRY.  The WIDE mode will allow dry output to local speakers, but wet signal comes out of the Direct 1/4" jack.

Have considered using the Effects Loop, but aren't stompboxes/effects/etc upstream of this, too?

Re: How to get a DRY line-level analog signal from Vetta II / Vetta II HD?
by MerlinFL on 2011-05-19 01:10:51

1oldguitarman wrote:

I need a dry guitar signal at line level to feed my new Digitech Vocalist Live 5 (separate subject, but the Vocalist Live 5 is pretty amazing).  Easy answer is to use a 1/4" cable from Variax-through-Digitech-Vocalist-to-Vetta.

Have considered using the Effects Loop, but aren't stompboxes/effects/etc upstream of this, too?

You need to use the FX Loop Send for what you want.  You'll probably have to run the Vocalist in and out of the FX Loop if using ONLY the send cuts the signal chain off.

Just make certain that you have the FX loop as the FIRST thing in the signal chain.  THAT should give you what you're looking for.

Best of luck,

Neal

PS - If you do not care about multiple wires, you can also use the Power box/DI that comes with the Vax 700 and just plug a standard 1/4" inch cable into the 1/4" inch input of the guitar then connect your VDI to the AMP, send the DI OUT UNPOWERED signal to the Vocalist.  that would probably work better for the vocalist based on how it works.

by 1oldguitarman on 2011-05-19 17:23:03

Thanks, Merlin.  I think I understand your suggestions, but let me re-state:

For your second recommendation (using the "Power box/DI") are you referring to the XPS power unit that comes w/ the Variax?  If I understand correctly, you're saying:

1. Use the RJ digital connector from Variax into Vetta II so I can have the FBV control my amp/effects/Variax/etc as desired
  2. ALSO connect the 1/4" jack from Variax to XPS, taking the 1/4" XPS output and sending it to the Vocalist?

I wasn't sure if I could have both the digital and 1/4" analog jacks on the Variax connected & active.  I'll give it a try.

On a second note, I see you're in Ocala, FL.  We moved my mother-in-law back to Tennessee from 20 years in Ocala, it's a nice town.  You are only 1.5 hr drive from WaltDisneyWorld.  There is an incredible guitarist near you.  Randy Holbrooke plays with Off Kilter, a Celtic-rock band that performs 4 or 5 days a week at EPCOT's Canada pavilion.  My wife & I typically spend 3 weeks on property at WDW every fall and I catch Randy Holbrooke/Off Kilter many times while there.  I've spoken w/ him some and understand he plays other spots around Orlando after his EPCOT gig is over (they finish before 9 pm on the days they play, typically about 3 or 4 pm till 8:30).

You might look up one of his performances, the guy is incredibly smooth, clean, fast, tasteful, a great tone and a really fine fellow to talk to after their shows (usually a 20-25 minute set every hour at Canada on the days they play, 4 or 5 sets).  Additionally, since their lead singer plays bagpipes, most of their song keys are in Bb ... and Randy doesn't tune down or up ... plays some kicking leadwork in Bb all over the fretboard!

Best,

1oldguitarman

by MerlinFL on 2011-05-19 22:59:06

1oldguitarman wrote:

Thanks, Merlin.  I think I understand your suggestions, but let me re-state:

For your second recommendation (using the "Power box/DI") are you referring to the XPS power unit that comes w/ the Variax?  If I understand correctly, you're saying:

1. Use the RJ digital connector from Variax into Vetta II so I can have the FBV control my amp/effects/Variax/etc as desired
  2. ALSO connect the 1/4" jack from Variax to XPS, taking the 1/4" XPS output and sending it to the Vocalist?

I wasn't sure if I could have both the digital and 1/4" analog jacks on the Variax connected & active.  I'll give it a try.

On a second note, I see you're in Ocala, FL.  We moved my mother-in-law back to Tennessee from 20 years in Ocala, it's a nice town.  You are only 1.5 hr drive from WaltDisneyWorld.  There is an incredible guitarist near you.  Randy Holbrooke plays with Off Kilter, a Celtic-rock band that performs 4 or 5 days a week at EPCOT's Canada pavilion.  My wife & I typically spend 3 weeks on property at WDW every fall and I catch Randy Holbrooke/Off Kilter many times while there.  I've spoken w/ him some and understand he plays other spots around Orlando after his EPCOT gig is over (they finish before 9 pm on the days they play, typically about 3 or 4 pm till 8:30).

You might look up one of his performances, the guy is incredibly smooth, clean, fast, tasteful, a great tone and a really fine fellow to talk to after their shows (usually a 20-25 minute set every hour at Canada on the days they play, 4 or 5 sets).  Additionally, since their lead singer plays bagpipes, most of their song keys are in Bb ... and Randy doesn't tune down or up ... plays some kicking leadwork in Bb all over the fretboard!

Best,

1oldguitarman

Taling the second personal bit first.  thanks for informing me of your friend and your visiting schedule.  Sadly, I've not been able to afford to visit WDW in several years.  i hoep i can get back there someday and see what attrractions are still there and what new they have.  This also covers universal Studios as well.

NOW - onto the L6 question.

Yes, you understood my 2nd solution perfectly.  I just wish to make 100% CERTAIN that you DO NOT PLUG IN THE POWER SUPPLY portion of the XPS.  The power would FRY your Vocalist and perhaps even take out the Vax because of the power coming from the Amp via the RJ45 connection.  Use everything you've mentioned except the power supply portion of the XPS and you should get the results you are asking for.  Lastly, please keep in mind that if you have any alternate tunings plugged into your Vax from the EDIT software, thjat it is THAT tuning the Vocalist will be "looking at".

I hope this all works well for you and please write back one way or the other.

Take care,

Neal

PS - you can use the TRS 1/4" cable, but I'd use a simple standard 1/4" instrument cable with the XPS into the 1/4" output from the Vax and the same type of cable from the XPS into the Vocalist.

by 1oldguitarman on 2011-09-08 13:48:17

Well, I've been afraid to try anything since I had to replace the motherboard on my 700 (S/N 00000001) AND the red 700 I bought this spring had JUST had its motherboard replaced by its original owner.

But I finally got the courage and here's what I did, and it's worked PERFECTLY for over 16 hours of playing:

1. Variax 700 connected directly to Vetta II with the digital cable
  2. Standard, 2-conductor 1/4" guitar cord into the Variax's 1/4" jack and run into the Vocalist's "Guitar In" port
  3. Nothing connected to Vocalist's "Guitar Out" port, since the 700 is digital into Vetta
  4. Obviously, the Variax 700 places an analog signal onto the 1/4" jack even when it's digitally connected because the Vocalist detects my chords (and shows a signal on the "guitar level" indicator") AND arranges the harmonies perfectly ... WORKS GREAT!
  5. The only minor inconvenience is having 2 chords coming out of your guitar, but a few cable-ties and it's not a big deal

Thanks for your suggestions, Merlin!!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.