These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

My TonePort UX2 hangs my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
by Bobbin on 2011-05-20 12:06:48

Hello,

Here's what I know so far:

The problem didn't exist on windows XP. Ever since I moved to 7 64-bit, the problem manifests itself in a number of ways, from lightest to harshest:

1. The UX2 may suddenly turn itself off (while still connected of course), and Windows can still function - but without sound. UX2 becomes unavailable to the system for sound output (I also belive it disables, possibly hangs, the entire sound routines of windows), but besides that, Windows functions normally.

2. Same as above, only that when I try to restart, Windows can't go beyond a certain point in it's shutdown process, maybe because it's sound routines are locked (just my guess, I'm adept with computers but no expert). I have to press the Reset button to fix that.

3. The harshest and sadly most common issue: The computer freezes entirely, with only the reset button or a forced shutdown solving this, of course. Sometimes it's preceeded by the unit turning itself off, and sometimes that doesn't happen.

Other observations:

All this happens on driver version 4.1.1.7. I just now noticed the newer version, and downloading it now, though seeing as "minor bugs" are listed as fixed, I doubt it'll help.

Strangely, it's less likely to occur while I'm gaming (it did happened while in game, but very rarely so), and more likely while I'm watching a movie of any kind, even Flash. It also happens when I'm not doing anything - so far the freezing problem seems to be random.

I read a little about similar problems others had, and tried connecting my unit with a different USB cable - nothing changed. Of course, it's not connected to a hub, and only to the main USB ports in the back of my PC.

ANY further advice will be most appreciated, I'm getting a little desperate..

Thanks in advance!

Re: My TonePort UX2 hangs my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
by Bobbin on 2011-06-01 10:54:31

Update: driver change hasn't changed anything. The Chances for my computer to hang are now slightly increased, actually. Bump....

by Callaghan on 2011-07-21 05:11:34

Hello,

I'm having the same problem ith my ux2 plugged on my win-7 64 bits equipped laptop running smoothly otherwise. The ux2 suddenly stops working (no light in the VU meters, no sound coming out of my headphones or monitors). Unplugging and plugging it back in doesn't even turn the ux2 on again (only rebooting the computer allows me to use it again). Changing the USB cable doesn't solve the problem. Turning off the wireless unit and unplugging any other USB devices doesn't solve the problem. I already have to cope with the crackling sound all win7 users seem to be having, and now that ! I updated the drivers via Line 6 Monkey, and nothing has improved.

Additional help (like a driver update that resolves all compatibility problem with 64-bits OS) very welcome.

Thank you.

by shawnspaz16 on 2011-07-30 18:56:10

I am having the very same problem, and it's extremely frustrating. My UX2 was working perfectly fine until yesterday while I was recording some tracks for a song I was doing. The lights still flash red, blinking on and off over and over, and I can get no sound from my computer at all. My computer eventually freezes and goes into a forced shutdown, and I can't seem to get my UX2 back in working order. My drivers are all updated, everything is in working order. I've had mine for about 2 years now, I know how everything should work with it.

I uninstalled and re-installed the drivers today and it worked again for about 5 minutes before it lost sound and started blinking again. No other cables are working, and I'm at a loss on what to do from here. I NEED my UX2 in order to record my lines for an animation I'm doing, I run my microphone through it. I can't get paid until this animation gets done, and I desprately need to finish the lines for the next bit I'm doing.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a Toshiba Satellite E205 laptop if that helps.

Please, if there's anyone that can help with this, I'd be extremely greatful. I kind of doubt that all of our UX2's are just totally broken with the new update that came out, and I don't have the money currently to go out and buy a new one.

Please and Thank You,

Shawn

by gdelaura2 on 2011-09-12 20:12:52

I'm experiencing the same thing. I've noticed that, when this happens,  the CPU utilization for GearBox goes up to 65% or more. It's freezing Ableton, Audacity, even non-dsp apps. I'm on a 32-bit system with XP.

by P0lyg0nW1nd0w on 2012-01-03 07:28:51

This is very interesting, I'm really glad I found this thread. I'm also having a very similar problem although in my case I mainly notice it while gaming but it isn't entirely restricted to that.

I have a Windows 7 HP 64 bit PC and play a lot of games in Steam. For the past year or so I've experienced the problem of my sound suddenly stopping. The game continues to run however when I try to exit the game, it just freezes and hangs. I then have to alt and tab out and use task manager to end the process.

Because the sound has stopped it has also stopped system-wide and any applications that use sound will not work and just freeze. The only way to resolve this is by restarting my computer which also requires me to force a shutdown as the explorer.exe sound won't play to indicate my system is shutting down.

Now for months and months I thought it must be something else on my computer that was causing the problem, some kind of outdated or conflicting driver or program. I have the latest drivers for my UX2 and all other audio programs on my PC so I couldn't understand what was going on.

I even went to the extreme length of formatting my computer and reinstalling Windows thinking that would surely get rid of any problems but it didn't.

Finally, yesterday I decided to uninstall all Line 6 software and drivers and disconnect the UX2 from my USB completely. I downloaded the latest Realtek High Definition audio drivers for my motherboard's on-board sound and plugged my speakers into the back of my PC (normally they are hooked up to my UX2). Finally I had success!

I knew this because there is a particular game I play through Steam called The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim and since installing it I've been unable to play for longer than 5 mins or so due to the sound suddenly stopping. Now that I was using the on-board sound however I had no such problem. I was able to play for a couple of hours without any sound issues at all. In fact I played 3 different sessions of about 1-3 hours each and the sound didn't stop at all.

So now is it a problem with Steam or the UX2? Well I could play other Steam games without any problem when I had my UX2 installed. For example, I play a music-based game called Audiosurf and I could play that for hours on end and the sound would be perfectly fine.

Just to note, the sound going off isn't just when gaming as I mentioned earlier. This problems can happen at any time no matter what I am doing. In fact, in the past I have barely started the computer and left it on idle for 5 mins before the sound went off.

So has anyone found out a reason for this and indeed does anyone at Line 6 know why this would be happening? At the moment I am going to leave my UX2 well alone and continue on with my on-board as at least I can play games without any interruption. I do use my UX2 for making music though and I've been taking a break over the Christmas period but I know I'll be wanting to start up again soon but if I keep getting this possible sound-going-off issue, then using the UX2 is a no-go.

Please can someone from Line 6 respond and help us out here.

by mikxman on 2013-01-10 14:15:34

I have the same problem on Windows 7 32bit and Windows 8 64 bit.

Why line6 support didn't give the answer for this problem?!

by pandashakejr on 2013-01-10 20:23:44

And again, everyone here needs to open a ticket so that Line 6 knows that there is an actual problem with their drivers and it's affecting alot of people, this is only a user forum.

by grimmer on 2013-01-12 04:44:16

I´m in!

by pandashakejr on 2013-01-12 14:51:01

grimmer, make sure you open a support ticket, it's the only way for Line 6 to hear you as this is a user only forum, even the Moderators are just users and don't have anything to do with Line 6.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.