These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Variax Bass 700 Not Powering On...
by kidego on 2011-05-20 12:55:23

Hello,

I have a Variax Bass 700 and up until recently has not given me any problems. A few weeks ago it just started not powering on. When I plug the TRS cable into the bass, the light will flicker red and then green quikly on the model select knob, and then nothing. The bass isn't powered on at all.

I thought it might be the Live 6 footswitch because it started flickering as well, and making an audible *click*. So, I tried running the bass through a Variax cable and into my PodXT Live which I have done before with no problem. Same thing. The bass flickers for a second, then nothing.

What do you think is wrong? I am upset that the electronics are acting funny on this bass, it would be a shame for it to die like this.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Variax Bass 700 Not Powering On...
by amx05462 on 2011-05-23 01:59:31

most  likely  something  has shorted  on the   main board   or  shorted  out   but it  could  also be  a  loose  connector   or  just   dust   shorting th e  board.     youll have to go inside to check these  things.   look for  any  burn  marks      near  where  the    power  connects.      if you dont  find  anything then   try   unplugging  all the connectors   and  reseating them.   also   blow  off the  board  abd  the  cavity . incase  theres a dust buildup.   thats what id  do.

Re: Variax Bass 700 Not Powering On...
by kidego on 2011-05-23 06:06:30

Thanks for the tips, I took off the pickguard very carefully and inspected the components. There is no burning or scoring of any kind that I can tell. Nothing smells out of whack anywhere on the board. I carefully reseated the connections and blew the whole board over with compressed air. I didn't see any major dust buildup.

After reseating everything and reconnecting, I tried it again...same issue. It does seem like a short of some kind. Power goes to the bass for a split second, I see a red light flicker and then *click*. Nothing.

Any other ideas? Anyone else? Do I have a dead bass here?

Thanks.

Re: (8>c}... I am disappointed for you...
by JellyWheat on 2011-05-23 06:29:29

... that someone from Line 6 has not checked in to offer a word of advice on your issue. Maybe you need to take the bull by the horns and contact then directly, in order to get a response.

Good luck,

JellyWheat

[PS: I believe their service department is located in Catatonia, CA]

by kidego on 2011-05-23 09:04:30

Thanks, although to be fair I did submit my question over the weekend. Still holding out for a few answers (Line 6 would be helpful to hear from as well)...

by JellyWheat on 2011-05-23 11:12:44

Well, you certainly are a fair-minded fellow! I had forgotten about the weekend component of the equation. Usually, the Line 6 monitors are pretty good about not letting unanswered questions stand for more than 3 days, hence my expression of disappointment. But you are right... the weekend is a factor I had not considered.

I trust the company will extend to you the same bona fides you have to them.

Regards,

JellyWheat

by kidego on 2011-05-23 11:15:08

Thanks JellyWheat. I have always liked Line 6 products and have really enjoyed my Variax Bass...I paid a pretty penny for it so I am really hoping it didn't give up the ghost. As it stands right now it is a very heavy paperweight.

RE: Variax Bass 700 Not Powering On...
by Line6Don on 2011-05-26 13:35:42

Hey kidego,

Did you try removing the battery when you tried powering it using the footswitch? If not give that try to help see if the problem is related to the battery.

If you still do not get power, I would recommend have a local Line 6 Service Center look at the bass for you. To locate a Line 6 Service Center in your area please follow the link below:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.