These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

anyone used the M13 with 2 combo's ?
by steveador on 2009-04-28 04:06:51

I have 2 Fender Deluxe Combo's and having just bought an M13 wondered if I only want to use it as a FX unit in the loop can i use both combo's send and returns and get a huge sound in stereo via the stereo ins and outs. All this without a ground loop? Anyone tried anything similar?

Re: anyone used the M13 with 2 combo's ?
by KozMcCharlie on 2009-04-28 05:44:31

Yes you can. I've done it at several gigs with several different amps (mostly 2 completely different amps) and it sounds great. I'm just guessing, but if you're talking about the Hot Rod Deluxe then you have the preamp out and power amp in for your loop and it will work nicely. No parallel nonsense to get things out of phase. You can also run stereo out to the front end of the amps if you want to use compression and some of the modulations feel better in front of the amp.

by Line6Hugo on 2009-04-29 11:54:04

+1 to KozMcCharlie

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Please make sure to award points to helpful & correct responses to your questions.

by lsully on 2009-04-30 22:10:52

That sparks several interesting question about waveforms the m13 creates.

If I run a distortion mod Left and Right out to two different amps, does the m13 generate

two distinct waveforms that are sent to the two amps, or is the Right a copy (or double) of the Left?

In other words, when running mono/in, mono/out, am I "missing" the one side of a stereo waveform being

created, OR is running mono a sum of the stereo waveform being created?

Tag-along question, is it not truly "stereo" until you run into the m13 input Left and right?

by phil_m on 2009-05-01 05:35:38

I think the only time you would really be missing anything are when you're using the effects have a true stereo separation.  I'm thinking things like the stereo delay, ping pong delay, panner, panned phaser, and a few others.  Most of the effects when they are run in stereo have identical left and right signals.   For things like distortions, there is definitely no difference between the left and right sides.

by lsully on 2009-05-01 21:47:54

phil_m wrote:

I think the only time you would really be missing anything are when you're using the effects have a true stereo separation.  I'm thinking things like the stereo delay, ping pong delay, panner, panned phaser, and a few others.  Most of the effects when they are run in stereo have identical left and right signals.   For things like distortions, there is definitely no difference between the left and right sides.

Phil
Yeah man, that has been my assumption as well.
I was only talking about the traditional "mono" units that have been modeled in the m13.
Which would be great fore-thought on the design team's part
to make a single input split to two different amps and have no
difference in volume or load of the effect.  In essence, if you
have a mono input>mono effect>stereo output, then I would assume
common sense would be to have a double of the exact same sound.
But, I wondered if it might spark some good conversation on here.
I will, however say that for me, over the years, I have found that using a
splitter such as a Lehle, before you hit a pedal like the M13 that has true
stereo inputs, does make a difference in the sound that goes out stereo
to your amps.  I haven't tried it yet w/the M13 because I don't run stereo right now  But, recently I believe companies have made great strides in designing
a mono imput that becomes a "stereo" output.
So here's my next thought:
If Line 6 did such a good job converting a mono signal to "stereo",
why include a stereo input?

by Peeler on 2009-07-10 13:47:57

I use a Vox AC30H2 (Handwired) - Left Output and a Fender Blues Jr Anniversary Edition - Right Output...  works like a charm - especially with true stereo FX... 

Even running the two amps simultaneous and incorporating their unique personalities while running the top notch FX on the M13 is fantastic!

Big fan here of the M13!  I also use the X3 Live for recording and love it!

Cheers All!  Peeler

by samicker on 2011-10-13 14:20:30

I use two Kustom Defender 50W all-tube combos. I've tried them in stereo setup (left & right output) and also with the FX send & left output combination. In this case I can determine how many FX belong to each amp. Usually I set the FX send after FX3, so the delay/reverb in the FX4 doesn't disturb my main sound which goes from Left Output.

And if you want to use 3 amps simultaneously, just add another amp to he Right Output. Voila

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.