These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 & Variax 300 Problem
by timothychern on 2011-05-25 14:08:45

I've asked this before, but figured I'd try again. When I use the digital cable w/ my Variax 300 and the HD500, after a few minutes, the audio signal sputters & dies. NO audio is getting to the 500 (no reaction in the tuner)

So far:   

I exchanged the HD500,

Purchased a new digital cable

The Variax, special 1/4" cable and old black P/S work fine with the 500

The Variax & digital cable work fine with my xt Live

Please help! I really want to like this thing, but I'm starting to think it's time to return it & stick with the xt !!!

anyone....Bueller?? Bueller??

Re: POD HD500 & Variax 300 Problem
by timothychern on 2011-05-25 14:09:54

I forgot-ALL FIRMWARE HAS BEEN UPDATED!

by Octo777 on 2011-05-25 14:30:31

timothychern wrote:

I've asked this before, but figured I'd try again. When I use the digital cable w/ my Variax 300 and the HD500, after a few minutes, the audio signal sputters & dies. NO audio is getting to the 500 (no reaction in the tuner)

So far:   

I exchanged the HD500,

Purchased a new digital cable

The Variax, special 1/4" cable and old black P/S work fine with the 500

The Variax & digital cable work fine with my xt Live

Please help! I really want to like this thing, but I'm starting to think it's time to return it & stick with the xt !!!

anyone....Bueller?? Bueller??

Purely speculation at this point, but given what you are experiencing, it would suggest there is a fault with the VDI Socket on your HD500.

I can confirm that I've had my HD500 since November and use it with my Variax acoustic 700 and VDI cable and I have experienced no problems what so ever.

I think since if there is an actual problem with the VDI socket and it will require some kind of servicing (which will be free since you will no doubt still be under warranty) I suggest rather than wait for Line 6 to reply on here, you contact customer support directly, by phone if you can.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

*Edit: I just noticed you said you had exchanged the HD500 already......... so I really am stumped at this point, but I'd still be getting onto L6 direct.

by johnnyayyy on 2011-05-25 15:07:13

timothychern wrote:

I've asked this before, but figured I'd try again. When I use the digital cable w/ my Variax 300 and the HD500, after a few minutes, the audio signal sputters & dies.

I have a Variax300 and an HD500, occasionally my signal was dying in the manner you are describing but if I pushed the end of the VDI cable into the guitar a little harder the signal came back. The last time this happened I reversed the direction of the VDI cable and have not had this problem since - though I doubt it is a permanent fix it is working great at the moment...

by timothychern on 2011-05-25 15:24:50

Thanks for the replies so far, but- this problem is with 2 different HD 500 and 2 different cables...

by johnnyayyy on 2011-05-25 15:41:59

timothychern wrote:

Thanks for the replies so far, but- this problem is with 2 different HD 500 and 2 different cables...

So if we assume the cables are good (they work with your X3) and the V300 is good (it works with your X3) and the HD500 is good (not likely you got two bad HD500s in a row)... this leaves...?

In this situation I would reinstall flash in my HD and my just to be safe my Variax too.

I would do the HD500 in safe mode, download the firmware to my computer and choose "Install from file" in Monkey. L6 is now saying in recent posts not only don't use USB hubs to connect HD but to remove the USB hub from the computer completely (?!)

Also, I noticed recently in some patches I downloaded from customtone that JTV had been selected in the patch, I check every patch now to be sure it is set to accept my Variax 300 and not the JTV.

One more thing, i remember reading long ago in these forums that dead or dying batteries can affect your Variax negatively even when you are playing through VDI - I have the batteries completely removed from my Variax to avoid this as I always use VDI, I realize this will not work for everyone but it is one more thing to check.

And if all else fails try reversing the VDI cable. Couldn't hurt, right? Not sure why, but it worked for me. And that same cable works fine for connecting my Vax to my Vetta

by ffcc on 2012-02-17 12:25:42

The problem is simply power supply.

Plug the A-B Box used to power the Variax at the same time (using the VDI cable to program the Variax and selecting "Variax" in the HD 500 input option to hear the sound by the VDI cable) and everything will work.

If you don't use the additional power supply, intermitently will occur a problem (at least the sound quality will not be good). I am pretty sure that it is a problem in the POD HD 500 power supply capacity by the VDI cable.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.