These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Relay Digital Wireless

Relay G90 WiFi interference?
by nickabix on 2011-05-26 06:32:30

Hi,

My new Relay G90 system arrived yesterday -  immediately racked up beneath Furman M-8Dx and Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra.  Everything seemed okay, but after just a few minutes of playing I got a  dropout in sound of about 1-2 seconds, with all of the "RF" lights on thereceiver lighting up red. This happens intermittently, about once every 5  minutes, but sometimes in more rapid succession. Can't seem to identify any particular pattern.

Nothing  seems to flash up or change on the transmitter when one of these drops  occurs, to indicate a battery connection issue or similar - I sat and stared at the thing until it did it again. I wasn't  moving, the transmitter was sat still on my lap, and I'm sat about 2' -  3' from the two antenna, which are front mounted and angled correctly.  Changing channels made no difference and there are no issues with the  non-Relay part of the chain (replacing the unit with a cable to guitar  causes no issues).The auto scan channel doofer seems to show that all of  the channels are fine and dandy. I am using the 1/4" out, into the front of the Axe-Fx.

Although the unit is supposedly immune to WiFi  interference, it occurs to me that my rack is currently sat on a combo stand just a foot or  two from a wireless printer, and maybe 5' from a great big Apple iMac,  connected to a wireless LAN.

As an experiment this  morning, I have left the transmitter on but not plugged into a guitar,  with a filthy amp running in the Axe Fx, so I have a constant hum coming  from the unplugged cable (as expected). But I disabled the WiFi on both  the printer and the iMac and, so far, it hasn't dropped out once in  about 45 minutes.

Is it likely that my WiFi is messing with the G90? If this is the case, should it be doing so? I'm guessing that there won't be too many wireless printers within a foot of my rig at your typical live music venue, but you never know!

Thanks!

Re: Relay G90 WiFi interference?
by BigChas52 on 2011-05-26 06:52:18

WIFI can cause interference.  I have a G50 with the opposite problem, when I use it too close to my WIFI connected PC it knocks it offline; even when I have the transmitter set for low power.

I would suggest that when you are playing in a venue, with any WIFI interference at much lower power, you will probably not have this problem.

by BigChas52 on 2011-05-26 07:27:11

Check the documents page.  There are some good articles on WIFI interference and general troubleshooting that you might wantr to glance at

by dboomer on 2011-05-26 12:54:59

It's doubtful that Wi-Fi has anything to do with your problem.  What are your antenna settings?

by nickabix on 2011-05-26 14:13:08

ANT IN: C & D  - antenna plugged into front two sockets

ANT OUT: OFF

TOGGLE: DISABLED

Cable tone @ 10FT

Channel: 1 on both receiver & transmitter (have tried various others, with the same symptoms).

No other wireless devices in my rack or nearby.

I don't know what to tell you - I've played for about an hour or more since I disabled the computer and printer Wi-Fi, and it's not dropped once yet. I'll have a longer session this evening just to make sure. Will also try re-enabling them one at a time to see if that brings it back, in an attempt to sound methodical.

Is it possible that the printer uses some whacky Wi-Fi shenanigens that the Relay isn't keen on?

I'll let you know if the above sheds any light.

Many thanks to both of you for your wisdom, I very much appreciate your help.

nick

by dboomer on 2011-05-31 10:36:41

How close is your WAP to your G90?  Are you actually 1 foot?  If it were a Wi-Fi problem then switching either the wi-fi  OR G90 channel would like move it out of the way.

Try switching your antennas to the rear (along with the antenna mode in setup) and see if that makes a difference

by pdxpro on 2011-06-08 14:59:22

We are having a simular issue...

We are not losing audio, but we are getting a muffled sound, kinda like the speakers are behind a waterfall for just a sec or so, then back to full natural sound.  We have contacted our supplier and they have asked to shut off our wireless and digital devices...  that is easier said than done as we have two commercial wireless access points in this 1300 seat auditorium, in addition we have digital audio consoles, digital audio recorders, several laptops and the like.  Just curious how a device can be advertised as a minimum of 2 meters from other devices when you have iPhones and everyother kind of device fighting for signal.  Beginging to believe this item will not be of use to anyone very soon.

by dboomer on 2011-06-08 15:19:15

It is unlikely that WAPs or other digital gear would cause the problem you describe.  Interference from these things can shorten the range however.  Does this sound only occur in a single venue?

What are you plugging into and are us using the 1/4" or XLR outs?

by pdxpro on 2011-06-09 17:47:45

We are using the XLR outputs and have tried both the C&D and currently on the A&B Antenna posts.  Someone suggested maybe moving it to another rack due to us using Shure ULX recievers in that rack, but I do not see how that would affect the performance either.

Anyone have any suggestions to being able to use this equipment in other than a "scrubbed" area?

To be honest...  the local wifi and digital equipment is going to stay and is in greater need than a single Acoustic guitar pack.  Looks like we will have to use one of the Shure packs for it.  Was really hoping to open up a channel for more mic usage.

by dboomer on 2011-06-10 09:37:51

Interference from anything only shortens range.  The sound is an encrypted digital code so interference can't cause the code to change as far a sound goes.  Interference affecting audio is an analog thing.

Again ... why do you think that Wi-Fi is the problem?  If it were  then simply switching a single G90 to another channel would move it out  of a single Wi-Fi channel's range.  Didn't you say that switching G90  channels had no effect?

What happens if you try the G90 with the Fractal units switched off?  It is possible that it may be spewing out junk that is getting into the "audio" section ogf the G90.

What do the RF LEDs show when you hear the muffled sound?

by pdxpro on 2011-06-15 21:01:56

Not too sure what the Fractal units are and/or where in the pack or reciever programming options it is located, but will look at it on Friday.

-What happens if you try the G90 with the Fractal units switched off?  It is possible that it may be spewing out junk that is getting into the "audio" section ogf the G90.

LED do not change and are at full values

-What do the RF LEDs show when you hear the muffled sound?

Thanks, will try this soon...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.