These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Alternate Tunings on the James Tyler Variax JTV-69
by BobDavies on 2011-05-26 11:11:15

Please note I purchased the above model guitar from Dawsons, Chester on 14th May 2011, and have had some problems with the alternate tunings.

The first, STANDARD and second, DROP D, work correctly but then things go awry. For example, the next alternate tuning 1/2 DOWN seem to produce an

unmusical sound as do the successive tunings. My understanding of the 1/2 DOWN is that the standard guitar tuning EADGBE is supposed to translate to

EbAbDbGbBbEb, and I can only describe the resultant discordant sound as outputting both notes at the same time on most of the strings,

After consulting the Pilot's Handbook on Alternate Tunings and ensuring the guitar was tuned to standard tuning, I have tried selecting 1/2 DOWN

and playing the all six strings at the 11th fret in an effort to correct this tuning but it has failed to work. Now when selecting this tuning 1/2 DOWN, unlike

the other tuning options which glow with white LEDs, this one gloes blue.

Have I done something wrong?

Were the factory preset tunings wrong?

Is there a procedure for restoring the factory presets?

I would be grateful for any help.

Robert Davies

robert.davies3149@btinternet.com

Re: Alternate Tunings on the James Tyler Variax JTV-69
by ozbadman on 2011-05-26 22:56:01

Hi Robert,

1) The blue LED means it has been changed from factory defaults

2) To restore Factory Default alternate tunings see page 14 of the Advanced Users guide ("To Reset one or all of the Alternate Tuning presets..."), downloadable from the Support->Product Manuals->Variax->JTV link above.

3) Yes, your setting of the alternate tuning fretted on fret 11 should have worked, but you have to make sure you do all the steps in setting the alternate tuning. This involves holding down knobs for 2 seconds, turning knobs, holding them down again, etc. See the manual for a proper description.

If you're still having trouble, let us know.

David.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.