These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Vetta

To Line6 - diagnosis for "access error" ?
by thorneven on 2009-04-28 12:53:42

Hi All at Line6.  I want to get my Vetta I Combo fixed, but before I drive 60 miles to the nearest repair center and spend $150, and since this problem is intermittent (which means the repair center will not likely be able to reproduce it), I'd like to know if anyone at Line6 knows what the problem is when the error on the display reads "access error".  I'd appreciate a response, definitive if possible, from Line6.  If the repair center cannot duplicate the problem, they're going to ask Line6 this question anyway.  Thanks so much.  thorne

UPDATE - I left my amp on for about 6 hours, plugged in an FBV Shortboard and proceeded to change presets from the pedal continuously and rapidly.  I was able to reproduce the "access error" three times.  I'm guessing that overheating may have something to do with it.  I hope this helps you help me diagnose the problem.  As a programmer for 30 years, when I get a specific error message, what I do is go search all the code for occurances of that error and see under what conditions that error occurs.  Line6, if you could do that for me, I think it would be a great help.  Thanks.

Re: To Line6 - diagnosis for "access error" ?
by AndyParedes on 2009-04-29 09:23:20

Hello,

Your unit needs to go to a service center.  Please see the following links:

Vettta Trouble Shooting F.A.Q.s

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3842

Product Repair

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4285

by thorneven on 2009-04-29 09:29:52

Andy - I know that.  Is there no help your team can provide in advance of taking it in for repair?  It would help to know what causes that error so that the service center knows what needs to be fixed.  thorne

by jvblack on 2009-04-29 10:20:45

Hey Thorn,

Just a note to say I'm sad to hear that your having vetta problems again, and that i hope you finally find some solution.

It looks to me that (like me) hardly anybody looks at these forums much anymore, including the Line6 guys, who are just copying and pasting the same stuff again and again as their "advice" or "solution".

How things have changed....

Good luck!!!!

Joe

by jvblack on 2009-04-29 10:24:15

I may have forgotten your answer to this from previous discussions of your vetta issue:

Does it do the same thing when you change presets from the amp, or only with the foot controller?

Did you plug the foot controller into the amp AFTER you let it run for six hours?  I've never tried plugging the foot controller in (i use the FBV) while the amp is on; i always power the amp up with it plugged in.  Could that be related?

Just thinking out loud...

Joe

by thorneven on 2009-04-29 10:35:01

Thanks for the sympathy, Joe.  I haven't tested by changing presets at the amp as that's not how I operate at performances.  I always have the pedal plugged into the amp before I power up the amp.  The pedal was plugged into the amp when I left on the amp for 6 hours.  According to Line6's FAQ, "access error" means there's an internal hardware problem.  I don't know if that means memory, transformer, power amp, CPU, circuit board or what.  I called the nearest service center yesterday and the one guy said he had no experience with this particular error.  I suppose when I get a 2-3 week window with no gigs that I will drive the 60 miles to get it serviced.  For now, I'm going to assume overheating may have something to do with it so I'll power down the amp between sets and only when I'm ready to play.  Hopefully that will be a temporary workaround.  thorne

by AndyParedes on 2009-04-29 15:16:32

Hello,

There is no "single" cause for this error, so the service center is going to need to go through the unit to diagnose and repair the problem.

by thorneven on 2009-04-30 10:36:01

OK, I have taken my Vetta to a service center.  Fingers crossed they can figure out and repair the problem.  thorne

by lemax on 2009-05-02 09:26:30

How much did cost the first time you make it repaired ?

by thorneven on 2009-05-02 09:52:04

lemax - At my service center in Midland Park, NJ, it's a $45 bench fee just for taking it in and having them diagnose.  So that's a minimum charge even if nothing gets fixed.  They will fix the problem without calling me if the fix is less than $150.  If the fix will be over $150, they will call me first for authorization to go ahead and fix.  thorne

by ricksox on 2009-05-04 15:38:42

Hi,

The problem with that error is that it could be an number of things that are causing that error. It's sort of like a "Check Engine" light situation. Taking it to a service center is the best move in this case.

Line6Miller

by thorneven on 2009-05-21 14:14:19

BAD NEWS.  Line6 authorized rep loaded my presets into a Vetta head and could reproduce the problem.  So it's possible that this is a software problem, maybe with timing.  Tech is going to load stock 2.5 software into my head and try to reproduce the problem.  But either way, it's looking like I can no longer use my amp.  What a shame.  Losing confidence in Line6.  thorne

by ricksox on 2009-05-21 16:04:40

Hi,

It could be that your preset bundle had a corrupted patch somewhere. Do you have a copy of the bundle you were using that you can attach to this thread. I'd be happy to load it up on our Vettas here.

Line6Miller

by thorneven on 2009-05-21 16:31:12

Line6MIller - Thanks for the offer.  Bundle attached.  There was one preset (U7B) that was involved sometimes when the error occurred.  I reloaded U7B from the factory preset and recreated my U7B preset from scratch, but still it caused a problem.  U7B wasn't the only preset on which I got the error though.  Let me know what you find.  Thanks!  thorne

by AndyParedes on 2009-05-22 15:59:16

Hello,

I installed the bundle you provided to a Vetta II and played around with it for a couple hours.  I was not able to reproduce an "access error", so it sounds like there is a hardware problem that the service center will need to diagnose and repair.

by thorneven on 2009-05-22 16:37:20

Andy - You did read in the top post how to reproduce the error, right?  I can reproduce the error every time by sitting on a stool after the amp has been on for many hours and then by continually switching presets at a very fast rate.  It can take up to 5 minutes before the error occurs, but I can force it every time.   And in this forum other people have experienced the same error.  If you think it's hardware, what hardware has to be replaced?  How does one determine that?  I need solutions.  thorne

by candreasffm on 2009-05-23 08:06:48

You could try the "Vetta-Check" found in the german Line6 Forum:

http://www.line6forum.com/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=31

Original: http://www.soundside.de/_modifications/Vetta-Check.htm

by thorneven on 2009-05-26 07:52:29

Well, the service center says the main board needs to be replaced at a cost of $505 ($400 for the board).  That's $105 more than I paid for the (used) amp.  They warranty their repair work for 90 days and since I can reproduce the problem at will, I can find out pretty quickly if the main board really was the problem.  I'm pretty disgusted that an amp that hasn't had more than 2 years of usage would crap out like this, but that's what happens in the digital world sometimes.  Sigh.  Now I have to decide if it's worth it or if it's time to say goodbye to Line6 gear.  thorne

by AndyParedes on 2009-05-26 11:02:28

Yes, I followed the original recipe you provided and I was not able to reproduce your situation on a Vetta with your presets.  It sounds like you have an internal hardware error that the service center will need to diagnose and repair.

by thorneven on 2009-05-29 05:52:55

Well, I decided to get the amp repaired, mostly because I like the portability of having everything in a comparatively light-weight, single unit.  But of course I like the flexibility of programming and sounds in the Vetta.  I've been using Line6 since the days of AX212.  You can bet that before I leave that repair shop (which is 60 miles away) that I am going to test the heck out of it to make sure their "replace all the guts for $500" solution really works.  And then of course I'll hope that the fix holds.  Any amp I use must survive the rigors of the road !  thorne

by jvblack on 2009-05-29 09:39:17

OUCH @ the price.  There was (two or three weeks ago) a Vetta II head, 4x12 vetta cab, and FBV longboard here on craigslist that looked like new for $1500 (the guy also had it on ebay at the same time with a $1000 reserve and mentioned in the craigslist ad that he might take less).  I thought of sending you the link, but it's a long way from South Texas to where you are.

I hope they finally get it working the right way for you.

Joe

by Bubblecum on 2009-06-05 12:55:57

Thought I'd hijack this thread instead of creating a new one.

I just purchased the Vetta II head here in sweden where I live, paying the nifty sum of aproximatly 2500$.

I use it for i couple of hours over the next few days, and now I cant even get the head to start. On startup the display just says "Access error".

Is my only option to return my amp? Cus I dont think we have any service centres around here.

by thorneven on 2009-06-05 13:01:13

Definitely return the amp.  As far as my experience goes, there is no solution othern than hardware repair to fix "access error."  Service center called me today and said my amp is ready.  They said they tested it using the procedure I told them.  Of course I'll test it myself when I get there.  I'll post here with the results.  thorne

by thorneven on 2009-06-08 21:31:39

Picked up my amp today.  Did the fast-switch-preset test and no "access error".  They replaced the main board which cost me $237.50 and then $105 for labor ($70/hr).  I played for about an hour tonight and so far so good.  There's a 60-day warranty on the repair so we shall see.  Guess I'm back in Vetta business.   thorne

by jvblack on 2009-06-09 07:24:10

I'm glad to hear that you're back in the game.  I hope it works out for you; you've been through enough.

Good luck!!

Joe

by thorneven on 2009-06-09 07:37:40

Thanks, Joe. I used my AX212 for a long time. I'm hoping I'll be able to say that about my Vetta. But I gotta admit that my Digitech GSP1101 has been a sweet replacement system. But everything else being equal, the Vetta wins out on portability versus a rack-mount system. thorne

by thorneven on 2009-07-13 21:22:26

And the hits just keep on coming...  So I got the main board replaced.  I turn it on when I get home and the Edit button and Stompbox buttons start flashing erractically.  Tech tells me maybe the board needs burn-in time.  I wait a few weeks... no change.  OK, no big deal that the lights flash.  At least I'm gigging with no crashes.

Yesterday at band practice, I'm adjusting some presets and BAM !  The main LCD goes blank.  I can barely make out anything, but I can see enough to locate the Contrast setting.  I change the Contrast setting and the display comes back.

OK, so I paid hundreds of dollars to Line6 for this brand spanking new main board and after 6 weeks it already has issues.  Back into the shop the amp goes !  Can you believe this ?!??!  I couldn't make this stuff up.  thorne

by jvblack on 2009-07-14 08:51:01

I think Thorne had done all he can do.

Line 6:  It's time to take some responsibility for this unit and the performance of the "authorized" repair center.

Just my opinions,

Joe

by thorneven on 2009-07-14 09:01:30

Joe - I don't blame the service center.  They are just the middle man in this fiasco.  The service center depends on Line6 to test its hardware and not to ship defective products.  My guess is that Line6 doesn't test each individual unit or if they do, they canot afford to run comprehensive tests or it would take forever to get anything out the door.  It seems to me that Line6 has acted in accordance with a good measure of accountability by agreeing to send the service center a new main board without requiring up-front payment.  And the service center was good enough to honor my request to ask Line6 to do that.  thorne

by jvblack on 2009-07-14 09:46:42

Perhaps I spoke out of turn.  I hope it works out for you and doesn't wind up costing you a bunch more money.

The vetta is such a cool solution to most gig requirements.  I can't imagine trying to put together some kind of amp/pedalboard rig that does everything that can be done with the vetta and FBV.   I hate to see one go bad.

Hang in there,

Joe

by AndyParedes on 2009-07-14 09:56:42

Thorn,

Sorry to hear that you are continuing to have problems.  The repair carries a 90 day warranty, please return the unit to the service center to have them take care of this situation.  Let us know if you need further assistance with the service center and we can get involved if necessary.

by thorneven on 2009-07-14 10:02:46

I apologize, Joe.  I didn't mean to make you appear unjustly judgemental.  Certainly I agree with you that after my Sunday post, Line6 wasn't looking very good.  I felt better after the service center contacted Line6 yesterday (Monday).

My backup rig, frankly, sounds better than the Vetta, but it's not so significantly better that I'm willing to give up the portability of the Vetta rig.  FYI, my backup rig is:

(several guitars, wired and wireless ->) Nady wireless -> Behringer 1602 line mixer -> Digitech GSP1101 -> Tubefex Mosfet power amp -> Marshall 1920 2x12 speaker cab wired in stereo

It's a rockin' rack !  thorne

by thorneven on 2009-07-14 10:07:05

Thanks, Andy.  The service center acted admirably on my behalf and thank you to Line6 for agreeing to send the service center a new main board without my (or the service center's) having to pay for it up front.  Based on the symptoms, the main board that was previously sent to repair my amp is defective.  thorne

by AndyParedes on 2009-07-14 11:32:02

Hello,

Please see your support ticket for more information:

What is a Support Ticket?

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1422

Q: What is a support ticket?

A: A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

Please note: Sometimes support tickets will be filtered to spam and junk folders. If you did not receive an email from us indicating that a ticket has been created, please make sure to check those folders in your email host.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

by DFlynn666 on 2010-07-12 09:44:51

appologies for hijacking the thread, but i am having similar problems with line 6 repairs, I sent my amp away while it was under warrenty, and an the original post says, its an intermittant problem. I have a spider III HD150 and when i turn it on, (having a shortboard attatched) the volume turns itself up and down, the screen doesnt light up and changing presets has a delay of around 2 - 5 seconds, if it changes at all.

I had the amp sent while on warrenty, and they said there was nothing wrong with it, but they replaced a few diodes or something to make sure. Now the exact same problem is happening again, except, I do not have alot of money for to pay for repairs as its out of warrenty, and i want to be sure it WILL be repaird because i cannot afford to keep sending it away after they say there is nothing wrong with it although there blatently is.

Also I have created a thread and Line 6 do not seem to want to answer my enquiries about service centres after warrenty has ran out.

I need major help - someone please

by Stevem57 on 2010-07-31 07:47:31

Oh my Lord! Sorry to hear your troubles, but it’s nice to know I am not alone. I have tons of Line6 gear. Being a technologist like yourself, I was initially so swept away by the technology I went hole hog thinking it would be a perfect marriage, key word here being MARRAGE. Legacy technology affords you the freedom to do your own repair work, with line6 your reliant upon them for everything, and your subject their rules and regulations.

I bought my Vetta I back in 1998 I believe, They sold me the unit and the Edit software was not available for at least a year I had been getting the Access error right along, but it was always intermittent, the unit usually recovered after letting it cool down. Then the power stage went, I asked line6 if they would sell me the parts to replace as the unit was no longer under warranty, of course that would undermine their authorized repair centers, so they offered to fix it for me which I thought was nice, the price was also discounted. 

Within the past year or so the Access Error has been more persistent, it was not going away so easy, yesterday morning I practiced a bit before going to work and left the amp on, I was a fairly hot summer day, no AC on when I am not home, so it got hotter than usual I suppose and bam! Now I have a permanent Access error, had the amp unplugged since last night turned it on this morning and no good! The repair center near me wants $75 just to look at it, but it goes toward the cost of the repair, I suspect the board is also around $400.  I really do not have the money to lay out right now, I guess I will have play with Guitar port for a while on My PC. Sounds like a wimpy transistor radio

by drdamski on 2011-10-06 16:20:15

Hi,

I realise I'm dragging up quite an old thread but I was pleased and concerned to find that when I googled the term access error - this thread showed up.

I was pleased because I hoped I'd find a solution given that others had experienced the issue.

I was concerned because it quickly became apparent the pain this was causing users who experienced it.

I love my vetta (1st gen Head with 2.5 upgrade) but it started crashing on me at a gig, and I was lucky I got through the gig with it because when I got it home it got worse and became unusable - I couldn't trust it to gig with.

I took it to my local dealer - Mr Music in Taplow, UK - who were extremely helpful, and sent the Vetta away to Line 6 for repair. It's back now having been apparently tested for 3 days solid, and having some soldering done. £70 including postage which I thought was very reasonable given what I was fearing having read the above costs...

Within two hours of noodling around at home I've recreated the error already.

Gutted.

Was thinking of upgrading to POD HD + DT series, and having Vetta as back up, but I wouldn't even use it for that now... might have to ditch it and buy a couple of spiders instead as I can't afford DT + POD + a spare.

I'm also not keen to pay for £100's more to get the vetta repaired if I could just buy something else...

hmph...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.