These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Line 6 X2 Digital Wireless

XDS Plus Dropouts/Clicks
by RichRRR on 2011-05-27 10:10:28

I am the not-so-proud owner of an XDS Plus guitar wireless.   The unit has always had an issue with an occasional dropout or interrupting pop/click sound.  Not sure if it is an actual dropout, or the pop/click issue I have read about.

I have stopped using it at this point.  Gone back to cable-- can't tolerate the clicks.  Will work for minutes at a time, but sooner or later the noises come.

This happens in all venues, including home, and practice studio.

No other wireless units in use.

Bought a better cable, but no improvement.

Have checked all connections - 1/4, 1/8, antenna, etc..  Have tried all channels.

What are my options?

Re: XDS Plus Dropouts/Clicks
by dboomer on 2011-05-27 10:21:01

You could call our service department ... 818.575.3600

If you want to test it further, here's what I'd suggest since you sy it has problems every few minutes.

Set the transmitter  plugged into your guitar in some stationary position where there will be zero movement.  Then monitor the receiver's RF LEDs and look for drops/pops.  The most common cause of noise is mechanical.  If you can rule this out then you definitely need to send it in for service.

by RichRRR on 2011-05-27 11:33:30

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that if there are drops/pops (evidenced by changes in the RF LEDS) with everything stationary, then that is an indication of a needed repair in either the transmitter or receiver?

I will give it a try.

If the problem only occurs when there is motion, what would the potential fixes be?   (I don't move around all that much.)

I am searching for proof of purchase to figure out if it is still under warranty or not.  If not under warranty, I'll have to decide whether the repair money would be better spent on a different unit.

by dboomer on 2011-05-27 13:09:11

The problem sometimes happens because over a period of time the transmitter's input jack jsut gets streatched so that it doesn't hold the input jack firmly enough.  Most users don't really think about it ... but when you only have a 2 foot cable you are jerking much harder of the jack that you are with your 20 foot cable into your amp.  Putting the transmitter on the strap greatly helps reduce this kind of wear.

IF that is the problem then the best fix is to replace ine input jack on the transmitter.

by RichRRR on 2011-05-27 13:32:59

Thanks.   Doing the test you suggested, with the guitar in the stand, I saw the RX2 light flicker occasionally.  RF and RX1 remained solid.

I bought a nylon holder for the guitar strap pretty early-on.  The clip thing was pretty much a no-go from the start.  And I didn't care for putting the transmitter in a pocket.

I am scrambling to find my receipt.  I found email exchanges with friends that narrowed the purchase down to Oct. 2009, so I am still within the 2 year warranty period.  I need to make this thing useable before I lose the warranty.

by dboomer on 2011-05-27 14:25:32

I guess I should have explained better ...

It IS normal for the LED to switch back and forth.  There is no loss of signal or audio quailty when this happens.  A true RF dropout will take both receivers off the air.

What I was hoping to get from this experiment was a a positive yes or no to the pop/click issue.  If we still got pops with a stationary transmitter then we would next look at the hardware.  If there are no pops then the problem is likely simple mechanical issues.

So other than the RX LEDs going back and forth ... no pops?

by RichRRR on 2011-05-28 07:42:21

When I tried that, I didn't have the output connected to anything.   Gear was just kind of staged betweed rehearsal and gig; and not really set up.  So, wasn't listenting, just watching LEDs.

Will try again, later on.  If I don't get back to it, this morning, it might take a few days to get back to it.  Going out of town for a few days.

Appreciate you help!  Have a great weekend.

by RichRRR on 2011-06-01 12:03:41

Well, I tried to reproduce my clicking/popping/dropout problem with the guitar in the stand, and connected to an amp.

15-20 minutes, and didn't hear extraneous noises.  So, I guess that is pointing to mechanical issues.

I will go back and test again, seated; then standing and using a strap.

Sorry, my test opportunities are kind of few and far between right now.  But if there is something I can get repaired, I would sure like to go back to using wireless.

Pretty big mojo-killer when your nice pretty sustained note goes crackle and pop.  Problems always, totally, go away when switching to cable.

RE: XDS Plus Dropouts/Clicks
by Line6Hugo on 2011-06-08 16:22:40

Just wanted to add that the warranty period for the XDS-Plus is 2 years from the date of purchase when bought NEW from an authorized dealer.

From what you describe, it sounds like there is a mechanical problem that a service center would need to resolve.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Re: RE: XDS Plus Dropouts/Clicks
by RichRRR on 2011-06-09 06:37:59

It was bought new from Guitar Center in October of 2009, so I have a bit of warranty time left.  I should pursue getting it fixed before then.

Done a little more testing.   Will sometimes go a long time without a glitch.   Seems more prone to happen when I turn.   Nothing radical.  Just a gentle turn from facing forward to facing sideways.  Not dramatic, but a real buzzkill during a gig.  I always have a cable handy, and switch to the cable at the first sign of a glitch.  Actually stopped using the x2, as it happened on every gig I tried it on.

I have an outdoor festival gig coming up on 6/18, and we are doing our own sound from the stage.   So, I may need to use it for a walkaround for the soundcheck.  I will pursue getting a repair authorization after that.

Thanks for the reply.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.