These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

spare battery charger and battery
by mickhurray on 2011-05-27 13:16:20

How can i can a spare battery and battery charger for my JTV59?

Mick Hurray

Re: spare battery charger and battery
by ozbadman on 2011-05-27 14:39:11

see here:

http://line6.com/community/thread/64572?tstart=0

by dpickwell19 on 2011-09-07 04:30:56

I have I believe found a replacment spare battery online for the JTV-59 (all of the models if the same battery is used for the 69 and 89), it's to a camcorder looks identical same voltage, size mAh etc and only £9.99!!!

I've sent for it and I'll let you know when I receive it if it's the same. (I've no doubt it is)

by mickhurray on 2011-09-07 11:19:40

dpickwell19,

please, do keep me posted!

thanks,

Mick

by dietmd on 2011-09-07 13:43:22

Can you tell us where to find this camcorder battery? I'd love to find one but need help with Model Number, brand, website, etc.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-09-07 14:23:31

dpickwell19 wrote:

I have I believe found a replacment spare battery online for the JTV-59 (all of the models if the same battery is used for the 69 and 89), it's to a camcorder looks identical same voltage, size mAh etc and only £9.99!!!

I've sent for it and I'll let you know when I receive it if it's the same. (I've no doubt it is)

I'd be interested in knowing more detail about this camcorder battery too.  According to some very early feedback from Rich on this subject, the battery used in the JTV guitars is unique to the JTV in terms of the fitting and connection.  I am inclined to think that the battery you have sourced simply may have the wrong physical fittings.

by barryf70 on 2011-09-07 14:44:28

Be CAREFULL guys I found a li-on camcorder battery with same voltage some what more in the mA rating, it sure looked pretty damn close to me,it had one extra groove the line 6 didnt,but I am no electronics wizard and it was $27.99 at the store I found it at here in RI ,(I brought my variax one to match of course) but  admitt I was desperate to have a back up ,because I cant use vdi cable with my G30 (obviosly) so I got all the way to register with it before my karma or logic,whatever it was, told me it'd be my luck to blow the warranty on my variax I waited to get,and paid good money for,so thats my word of advice,but maybe you'd have better luck than I do and will make one work....but it would sure suck to learn the hard  way,

by dpickwell19 on 2011-09-07 22:57:46

I'll keep you all posted, I am a qualified electronics engineer and it is the correct voltage (if it fits), think about the old variax with the AA battery packs did it have to be Duracell or another make? No because line 6 know we would take no notice a 1.5v battery is just that, I would suggest that Line 6 wouldn't make enough of these guitars to have their own battery made and it would be easier (and a lot cheaper) to commission a battery already been made, However this may not fit (because they modified the fitting of it) yet so I'll keep you posted..........................................................................

by laelamiles on 2011-09-07 23:35:53

No need for mysteries... it's not going to fit.

Line 6 tried to license a standard connector, but failed.  So they invented their own.  That's why it's not a particularly good design and somewhat finicky.

by dpickwell19 on 2011-09-08 22:47:18

Not a mystry though you're right it doesn't fit. The battery line 6 use is a battery which fits a Sony NP-F570 camcorder (but line 6 have changed the groove on the bottom of the battery, the one I got is an Inverto patten battery (all the connectors etc are identical), there are lot's of different makes out there but I suspect Line 6's has been slightly changed so they can charge us a fortune (that's when they have some to sell!!)

Really hoped this would work, but worth a try, have a look online at the Sony battery, you;ll reconise it straight away.......................

by Delica on 2012-02-07 17:00:48

Hi there, my two cents worth opinion,

all above comments are correct, but there is more.

It is the same shape as SONY cammcoder batterry - will fit in plastic groves - and is cheap and is made in China, but there is only one small difference.

Votage is the same, and polarity points to connect battery are the same - and if you check the battery closely you will see positive and negative connectors and voltage accross is 8.35V when battery full. 

Also you will see a third little metal thingy very close to negative connectors.  Let's call it "control" little thingy silver plate - this is the major difference.

The voltage difference on LINE 6 battery on this control and negative battery terminal is 0.1 V,  while in SONY Camcoder  battery NP-F550 is some 3.0 Volts - so that even if connected well it will not work. 

And, for those nutty pepole, who still want more information on this topic - the 0.1 V on variax battery is stable - like real DC power, while SONY was fluctuating - which indicates that there may be a capacitor in there - but myself being to lazy to find out more I gave up. 

So if someone nutty enough - can order on ebay and check with oscilosope or in a simple way just carck open the plastic cover to have a look.

In short - all is the same except this voltage difference that is not suitable for JTV ---

Happy picking

by Delica on 2012-03-30 17:07:25

Not long ago I have found this place to buy 2 batteries for a real good price of $ 50 and delivered to Australia.

Small delay due to stock available but great communication and prompt delivery. More than happy to recommend.

http://www.musicfactorydirect.com/p-28078-variaxjtv-li-ion-battery.aspx

Itseems a few more bucks nowbut still goood deal.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.