These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

How Record with PoD HD 500 and best order to setup the HD 500 effects
by naruto177 on 2011-05-31 11:51:56

Ok I just bought my pod HD 500 a couple days ago and never had a multieffect pedalboard or even pedals period. Well first thing is which is the best proper way to set up the pedals in like a certain order so that the tone comes great?Why in some patches I see empty spaces and then they skip a few and add pedals instead of all in a row?  I used gearbox to see POD x3 patches and matched same exact order with my hd 500 but sounds really messed up and nothing like it for ex.. I used Lincoln Brewster patch and wanted to get as close as I can and use

Last thing is about the recording. Where can I get the recording software so i can put on youtube and if you have to pay, what is the best free recording software and a link please.

If you can please check LB's patch and mine and see whats wrong and if can correct it, I would really appreciate ALOT.

LB is one of the main reasons i got the HD 500 cause I play a lot of his songs and solos but never was able to get his tone or sound

Thank you!

Re: How Record with PoD HD 500 and best order to setup the HD 500 effects
by tommasi on 2011-05-31 21:27:54

Ok I just bought my pod HD 500 a couple days ago and never had a multieffect pedalboard or even pedals period. Well first thing is which is the best proper way to set up the pedals in like a certain order so that the tone comes great?

There is no absoltube "best" way, but there is a general convention that the order follow the effect category:

dynamics/compression first, then

filters

wah

distorsion/overdrive

amp

modulation

reverb

delay

EQs can go in most places, and it is not uncommon to have modulation pre-amp or even pre-distorsion.

Why in some patches I see empty spaces and then they skip a few and add pedals instead of all in a row?

You have 8 slots available altogether, the empty spaces are free slots. The position ov empty spaces is irrelevant, and you can move blocks around using the 'move' button.

I used gearbox to see POD x3 patches and matched same exact order with my hd 500 but sounds really messed up and nothing like it for ex.. I used Lincoln Brewster patch and wanted to get as close as I can and use

Apart from the fx order there are a lot of other variables such as the specific parameters, the output mode settings, etc... I'd suggest trying to get closer with fewer effects first rather than dumping all of them together as it maya get kind of messy...

Last thing is about the recording. Where can I get the recording software so i can put on youtube and if you have to pay, what is the best free recording software and a link please.

An effective free recording software is audacity ( audacity.sourceforge.net ). A very cheap but professional, complete audio recording solution is Reaper: www.reaper.fm

Both will allow you to record from your pod once you have connected it to the computer and installed the drivers.

by joehelias on 2011-06-01 12:00:39

Well IMO there isn't as much grey area for some FX.

Overdrive and dist pedals MUST go before the amp.

Delay and reverb MUST come after any distortion whether its from a pedal or amp so typically they go post mixer unless the amp is set clean.

Modulation (chorus, flange, phaser) can go before or after distortion pedals or the amp. Same for Compression and EQ. experiment for the best sound

Tremolo is a toss up but generally most prefer it post amp.

Volume pedals can go several places but my preference is after distortion (amp or pedal) and before delay. This way when you roll back your volume pedal the distortion stays constant and your delay trails ring out. This works really well for cool ambient volume swells.

Looking at your patch the one major problem I see is that you have the rat pedal after the amp.

here's my suggestion for the signal chain in your patch. Give it a try and i think you'll hear an improvement.

Rat/classic dist-->Amp-->EQ (optional)-->noisegate(optional)-->Comp (optional)-->trem-->volume pedal-->delay1-->delay2

You could also try putting the comp 1st or between the dist pedal and the amp. They will all sound slightly different.

A couple other tips.

Start with all of the FX off and just work with the amp, cab and mic tone.

I would back the gain down on the park to 50% as a starting point especially since you have a distortion pedal in the chain. Too much distrotion turns the tone to mush.

The amp EQ setting you are using are extreme. Start with the bass, mid and treble at 50% and the presence off. Once you find a mic and cab you like adjust the amp EQ to tatse from there.

Start with the 57 off-axis mic as i find it sounds decent with most cabs. Experiment with different mics once you find a cab that works for you.

I hate the greenback 4x12 - its a boomy, scooped and muddy mess. You may love it but try the mesa 4x12 and especially the Phd 2x12 cab with the Park.

In general most distorted amps don't really need compression unless its for a singing lead tone. For dirty  rhythm i would avoid it.

The classic distortion pedal cuts alot of bass. Your bass setting of 14% seems REALLY low and will thin out your tone.

The mid focus EQ setting of 50% for both bass and treble is again extreme and is going to sound really nasal and weird IMO. Start with ebass and treble at zero. Rolloff the bass until the boominess goes away but theres still some meat left (i've never gone beyond 20% and thats alot). Go easy with the treble rolloff most amps start getting dull beyond 70%. Also with the right amp EQ, cab and mic you may not need any post EQ.

Above all experiment.

Oh and heres a site that discusses LB's POD patches

http://www.benvesco.com/blog/tones/2008/pod-lincoln-brewster-tone-study/

Hereare pictures of his settings. Keep in mind they won't translate exactly

http://www.benvesco.com/blog/tones/2007/pod-patches-lincoln-brewster/

by joehelias on 2011-06-01 18:36:40

I used the website I posted above as a guide and tried to recreate the old XT/X3 patches with the HD500.I stayed as close to the original settings as i could.

Here's the result.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/212528/

Iwas playing along with some of the youtube clips and I think this patch is pretty representative of LB's mid gain tone. He' s uses less gain than you think and he likes his tone BRIGHT! Too bright for my taste - i had to back down the treble and presence from his X3 settings to keep it tolerable. Also I think the digital delay is a poor choice. I normally use a single head (no. 4) on the multi head delay as my goto sound and  it kills. Digtal delay is more for doing U2 style clean delay IMO and rolling off that much treble just makes it sound grainy.

If you want more gain bypass the the Boost comp and engage the tube driver.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.