These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Utilising Set Lists on the Pod HD.
by Octo777 on 2011-06-02 03:55:59

Just wanted to share an experience that might help some others in regards to organising patches.

Like most folks using a multi FX unit, previously I had been happy setting up a core of patches that were suitable for the majority of what I do, you know? Clean, Dirty Rhyhm, Lead and then add any specific patches for specific things if I need them.

However, when it came to an acoustic project I am doing where I use my Variax Acoustic 700/HD500/VDI cable,  over the course of a few months of rehearsing I began to see how impractical it was to just have a core of patches. (When using this set up, the guitar model is selected by the POD per patch.)

The core was made up of my main Standard tuned Acoustic Dread with a bit of reverb and 4 basic effects set up to be switched via FS 1 - 4. The effects were, Chorus, Phaser, Cave Verb and Octo Verb. I also had a version of this set up, but with the tuning switching to Drop D and another with the virtual capo set up 1 fret.

Another of my core patches was a 12 String guitar with the same basic reverb and an EQ to remove the booming low end of the 12 string and clear the sound up nicely.

And one of my more adventurous patches where I do a bit of finger picking, is to have the virtual capo on the guitar up 3 semitones (might even be 4, can't remember) but set the 6th and 5th strings down a full octave in order to have a nice bass line working the rest of the song.

There were a few variations on tunings, but for the most part, I had the same core effects set up for all the songs regardless of whether I used them or not. You get the idea, right?

So while I was doing some practice and working through a set list my singer and I have put together of 15 songs, it was then that I realised that using the same core patches for more than one song wasn't allowing me the felexibilty I could have with the HD500 and variax combined since some songs only used one switchable effect. Others didn't use any at all. Some songs require me to record a loop so that I could solo over it, but I had no way of boosting my solo without messing around and doing a bit of tap dancing changing banks/patches (using the looper mixer gave inconsistent results in regards to volumes)

My set up, while being fine to begin with, had become very impractical, even though it didn't need to be.

So as I was pondering how to do all the things I need to do in an easy way, it occured to me that I should utilise the acutal "Set List" on the HD500 and just save a patch per song for my actual set list. And I wish I had done this sooner!

Basically, each patch is identifible by song name. Any unused effects are removed from the chain to save DSP ( not that this was ever a problem, I was just being practical) and in the process I've freed up a few Footswitches that can be utilised in other ways should the need arise.

Now, this is a great tip here for anyone looping stuff that  some folks may already know, some might not, but when you have the Looper selected, FS4 still functions as normal, so what ever FX you have assigned to FS4, still engage and disengage when you are in looper mode. So on the songs where I need to loop a part and solo over it, I have a boost comp and delay set to FS4 so that I can turn them on for the solo and off when I need to get back to rhythm etc. Far less tap dancing skills needed!

One track still caused a slight issue because I need to record an outro loop of my 12 string part and then switch to a Bass sound (Dread tuned down a full octave) and play the bass part over it while slowly fading out with the expression pedal. But I overcame it in as much that to save having to double tap bank buttons to select the bass sound after the loop is going, I simply saved the bass sound in the next bank up. One bank tap, one patch tap. Done. Far less confusing when you are playing.

Some folks seem very against using a multitude of patches for their pod and don't even like to change banks.....ever it would seem!

I mean, look at the songs you play on a regular basis and see how many songs you play all use the same FX, I bet they dont, right? And look at other songs you play and consider how they could benefit from having an extra effect that there is currently no room for/no assignable FS left......if you save a patch for that song, take out the FX you don't use and add in the ones that could enhance things and you are onto a winner!

I guess to summarise, what I am saying is, don't get bogged down to only using a couple of patches when you have room for soooo much more!

Re: Utilising Set Lists on the Pod HD.
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-06-02 05:37:23

Great post

by jcosta_sr on 2011-06-02 10:24:59

Hey Octo,

Your post is music to my ears.

I am also a HD user with a Variax.  I play in a cover band and sometimes use 3 patches in one song.  I have two questions?

1.  What do you play you HD through.  I play through an Atomic Reator 112-50.

2.  Could you post your accoustic patches?  I am having a difficult time creating accoustic patches and then leveling them with Electric patches.  For instance, we play Hotel California.  I use two patches.  The first patch is an accoustic 12 string, the second patch is a solo patch currently a J-45.  Any love would be appreciated.

by Octo777 on 2011-06-02 12:39:57

jcosta_sr wrote:

Hey Octo,

Your post is music to my ears.

I am also a HD user with a Variax.  I play in a cover band and sometimes use 3 patches in one song.  I have two questions?

1.  What do you play you HD through.  I play through an Atomic Reator 112-50.

2.  Could you post your accoustic patches?  I am having a difficult time creating accoustic patches and then leveling them with Electric patches.  For instance, we play Hotel California.  I use two patches.  The first patch is an accoustic 12 string, the second patch is a solo patch currently a J-45.  Any love would be appreciated.

1. I go direct to PA for live, at home I use a pair of M-Audio AV 40's. I fully plan on getting an Atomic powered cab when I have money to spare though.

2. When I get a chance I'll post the core patches that I use as a foundation for everything else, so like my basic 6 string Dread patch and my basic 12 string patch.

by Octo777 on 2011-06-03 04:48:06

As requested I've attached a couple of patches.

1st is my acoustic core patch that I was using as a main patch that I now use as the basis for everything else.

2nd is my core 12 string patch.

There is nothing particularly fancy about either of these, but they work for me.

Also, take into account that I use the Acoustic 700, so anyone using anything other than that will need to adjust the Variax patch control on the HD  accordingly.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.