These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

POD X3 through PA speaker and guitar amp
by Krisser999 on 2011-06-04 03:21:51

Hi!

I've been using the POD X3 for a long time now, and i've recently bought an active PA speaker.

If i run a clean tone through my hi-fi speaker it sound just fine. But if i run a clean tone through my guitar amp or PA speaker it becomes distorted. It doen't play the sound right.

An example could be "Bad" in the "Lo Gain" folder.

Does the speakers cause this problem? Or is it something else?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Kristoffer

Re: POD X3 through PA speaker and guitar amp
by silverhead on 2011-06-04 06:38:54

Check your Output settings on the X3. You don't say which model you have (Bean, Live or Pro).

On the X3 Live and Pro there are 2 sets of physical outputs: the XLR (Studio/Direct) outputs and the 1/4" (Live) outputs. The Bean only has the 1/4"  outputs.

The Studio/Direct outputs are designed to be used with a mixer, recorder, PA, or active monitors. They provide the cab/mic modelling as per the preset selection. For best results you should use these outputs with your PA speaker.You should not use these outputs with a guitar amp.

You can also use the 1/4" Live outs to your PA speaker but in this case make sure your Output Mode for the Live Outs is set to Match Studio/Direct. When connecting the 1/4" outputs to a guitar amp you should select one of the Live outputs modes. This removes the mic/cab emulation from the output signal. Choose the Live Mode that best matches your amp.

EDIT: original post was edited to distinguish between X3 Bean and X3 Live/Pro.

by Krisser999 on 2011-06-04 06:58:02

Thank you for your fast reply.

But i don't have any XLR outputs on my POD.

It's the little red bean shaped POD X3.

by silverhead on 2011-06-04 08:11:12

Right - so as described, use the 1/4" Outputs.  In the X3 Outputs pages set the output mode to Match Studio/Direct when connecting to your PA speaker, and use one of the Live modes when connecting to your amp.

by Krisser999 on 2011-06-04 12:27:49

Alright. That helped a little.

But the sound is still a little crunchy.

Guess i'll just have to live with that.

Thank you.

by silverhead on 2011-06-05 07:44:47

You probably just need to edit/tweak your tone to identify where the undesired crunch is coming from and tone it down to taste.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.