These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

What is an TRS cable? can i record via this output while the speaker is working or will it mute like when using the headphones? many thanks
by chisco on 2011-06-04 23:03:25

What is an TRS cable?  can i record via this output while the speaker is working or will it mute like when using the headphones? many thanks

Re: What is an TRS cable? can i record via this output while the speaker is working or will it mute like when using the headphones? many thanks
by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-06-05 07:19:35

A TRS cable is called 'TRS' because it stands for Tip, Ring, Sleeve because of the design of the jack socket and jack plug used.   TRS cables can be used for Stereo operaton where the Tip represents the left channl, the Ring the right channel and the Sleeve is a common connection for both left and right channels.  A TRS cable can be used for a balanced signl connection as in a professional rig and in this capacity the idea of a balanced connection is to reduce excess interference or noise on long cable runs.  Stereo and Balanced do not nean the same thing.

In the context that you need to use a TRS jack plug connected to two cables into the headphone DI output from your Spider IV  The usage here is for stereo operation.

You will need one of these jack plugs at one end of the cable:

TRS%20jack.jpg

with the tip and sleeve connected to the tip and sleeve of one of the plugs below for the Left channel; and with the ring and sleeve  to the tip and sleeve of a second jack plug as shown below for the Right channel:

TS%20jack.jpg

The use of one of these cables will mute your amp's speakers in exactly the same way as your headphones do

Nick

Re: What is an TRS cable? can i record via this output while the speaker is working or will it mute like when using the headphones? many thanks
by chisco on 2011-06-05 14:19:30

Thanks for the answer.

so in other words its the same conector that profesional headphones have right?

still i don't understand, why use a stereo cabel when the amp is mono. or are the efects stereo? stereo delay or reverbs?

what happens if i connect a mono 1/4 inch cable ?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-06-05 14:31:41

The connector is the same as a standard 1/4" stereo headphone connector - correct.

The headphone DI output is stereo on your Spider IV 75.  Some of the FX in the Spider IV are stereo.  Your amp's power amp section sums both channels to mono.

If you use a mono cable you will get output from the pre-amp Left channel only.  The manual recommends the use of a TRS cable.  This is to prevent the possibility of damage to the right headphone channel in the headphone amp module (the right channel will be shorted to ground with a mono jack inserted) in your amp as well as to ensure that you output both left and right channels to your mixing desk

Nick

by chisco on 2011-06-05 14:58:52

Thanks for the answer again.

Do you know which efects are stereo?

cause yesterday i was like 2 hours playing with headphones conected to the spider 4 -75, turning all the knobs and FX but everything sounded in mono, i thougth i might listen to a ping pong delay or something like that but everything sounded in the center.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.