These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

M13 Expression pedal not working/Roland EV-5, parameter act crazy, vibrate/shivering
by Giax1974 on 2011-06-10 22:00:38

Hi guys, I got an Roland EV-5 and this happend.

At first, i had problems, but I get it to work, I was fighting against it, reading forums where some people said it work, other people said not, but it was acting weird, and suddenly it startedworking fine by magic, and I was very happy it worked perfecttttttt for  6 months.

Until a few weeks, it start acting weird but worst, no sense at all, the parameters bars vibrate, the cursor on the bar shivers, (only with the expression pedal) it is always moving the parameters, is acting la crazy like having parkinson, goes up, goes down, it calms, shivers, also after messing around with the parameter,  they stop working, so I have to reboot or unplug the exp pedal, to make the parameter again moveable.

I thought it was the pedal, so I went to a friends place and test the pedal with his m-audio keyboard and with Reason, he assigned the exp pedal and mapped it, and worked perfectly, So it think my M13 is having problems with one the most important features the parameter assginments and expression! Also It happen to both exp pedal 1 and 2.

All setups are good, FX1, FX2, FX3, FX4 are on exp pedal 1...etc, no looper active.

On my will to get it work back, I:

-re-intalled firmware 2.04, and the same thing.

-downgraded to 2.00 and same thing

-upgraded again to 2.04, same thing.

-hit my head against the wall, same thing.

I am/was very happy with the unit, but if I cannot live like this, it stress me so much, and want to fix the problem!!!

I have surfed the internet and it seems that I am the first to got this problem (not an honor).

HELPPPPPP!!!

Re: M13 Expression pedal not working/Roland EV-5, parameter act crazy, vibrate/shivering
by phil_m on 2011-06-11 19:04:24

Have you tried using a different cable for the expression pedal. The M13's expression jacks are pretty sensitive to the resistance they're seeing at the input, so it could be the cable even though the pedal seems to work elsewhere. I don't believe the EV-5 actually has the correct pot value in it to actually be considered compatible with the M13.

Re: M13 Expression pedal not working/Roland EV-5, parameter act crazy, vibrate/shivering
by Giax1974 on 2011-06-11 21:34:30

You can't change the ev-5 cable easily, you have to open the pedal,  replace the cable and solder...

I wish I could get a Ex-1 to verify that it works with the unit, but have no resources to do that, have no friends that use Line 6. Buying an EX-1 here down in Lima Peru, could be difficult, and if it doesn't work, the refund policy suck, some places don't even have a return policy.

I found a guy that had the same problem, hope he can reply me and inform me if he find out how to fix it or what the support center said, he posted in february this year, is there a way to contact him?.

Here is the post:

http://line6.com/community/thread/56229

Ifound the Roland EV-5 schematics on internet, find attached the file. I couldn't find the EX-1 schematics to compare them, maybe you can tell me

(I am not really used to these schematics anyway...)

Thanks

RE: M13 Expression pedal not working/Roland EV-5, parameter act crazy, vibrate/shivering
by Line6Don on 2011-06-14 16:44:32

Hey Giax1974,

Here are the requirements for compatible expression pedals that work with the M13:

A passive 10K ohm mono linear taper pot, using a standard 1/4 inch mono instrument cable.

If the Boss pedal in question differs from this, it will not work properly.

What is strange is that it worked for a period of time before it stopped working. Something must have changed within your setup or settings that caused it not to work correctly.

Re: RE: M13 Expression pedal not working/Roland EV-5, parameter act crazy, vibrate/shivering
by Giax1974 on 2011-06-14 18:45:48

Hi Phil and DOn,

Phil you were right, I went to a music store and got a very expensive EX1, i said veryyyy (75$ in Lima Peru). I Test it really quick and worked perfectly.

Don that is very weird,  it worked properly for 6 months, my EV-5 still work properly with other pedals like my pigtronix philosopher king, so this is really weird, as people all around the world are using this Roland EV-5 with their M-line products without problems, I think Phil is right maybe the cable has problems with the M13. I read the Schematic for the EV-5 I attached before and it says it a 10k potenciometer.

Anyway, I will test it well  and check if everything is OK. Will let you know!

Also I need to test the roland EV-5  again after the EX-1 was plugged on my M13 and worked properly, maybe it start working again? (that happened to me yesterday with my laptop harddrive, after getting connected to it in  target mode trhru other computer, it worked properly again by misterious forces,

Maybe because tomorrow's moon eclipse power? jaja)

Will test it tonight.

ThNKS AGAIN!!!

Re: RE: M13 Expression pedal not working/Roland EV-5, parameter act crazy, vibrate/shivering
by Giax1974 on 2011-06-14 22:32:58

Just tested again the Roland doesn't work with the M13, EX-1 works PER-FECT!

Thanks guys again!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.