These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

M5 delay boosting volume when run thru amp FX loop
by rizzorock on 2011-06-14 15:11:24

This question has been raised a couple of times with no real responses -

http://line6.com/community/thread/38553

href="/thread/10165">http://line6.com/community/thread/10165

Isthere a trick to this? I absolutely love the Line 6 stuff. I am a professional musician and gig out with the Relay 90 and usually an M13 or M9. Used to use a DL4 for years.

I have an M5 in my new rack setup running thru my Bogner XTC 101B FX loop using an RJM RG16 to turn it on and off using a loop in the RG16.

Anytime loop 5 (the M5) is activated there is a quite noticeable jump in volume, almost like a solo boost. Unfortunately I'm not always soloing when I turn on my delay.

Is there any hope for a cure?

RE: M5 delay boosting volume when run thru amp FX loop
by Line6david on 2011-06-15 16:00:33

Hi,

I think I need to understand your setup a little better before providing an answer.

Have you tried adjusting the Effects loop return master volume on the Bogner head?

does the M5 boost happen with one delay preset or anytime you engage the M5?

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: M5 delay boosting volume when run thru amp FX loop
by rizzorock on 2011-06-16 15:07:55

I have most of my FX (Phase 90, Chorus, M5, Carbon Copy Delay) all before the preamp. The only thing in my amp's loop is a second M5 for 90% of my delays. It is all controlled by a Ground Control Pro and RJM Rg-16 switcher via MIDI. The loop is set to series and I have tried adjusting the level via the loop controls. No luck. Anytime Loop 5 (the M5 for delay) is engaged there is a slight yet noticeable volume boost. It happens with any delay model. The only real solution I have found so far would be to add a Line Boost to the amp's loop and have it engage anytime I am in a non delay setting to even out the level. I did not think it was very noticeable until I was playing out and had a great monitor mix with my guitars in it. I hit a big A chord and halfway thru it ringing out I engaged the M5 and I could hear the very noticeable jump in volume. It's not like a huge, smack you in the face boost, but it is enough that our sound guy mentioned it. I do know that the manual for the Bogner says "If the effect has "level" switches, set them to "+4". Not sure what the level is coming out of the M5. Hope that helps.

There is a schematic attached. The M9 is now the M5 in the amp loop.

by rizzorock on 2011-06-23 08:36:00

I found a fix for now. I purchased an EH Signal Pad and placed it immediately after the output of the M5 (in the loop for the delays) and turned the output down just a notch with the Pad. Works great. It does effect the depth of the delays a bit but it's better than the boost that was there. It'll work until I can get my hands on an Eventide Timefactor. Thanks for the help I guess.

RE: M5 delay boosting volume when run thru amp FX loop
by Line6Don on 2011-06-23 11:58:59

Hey rizzorock,

It sounds like its the level of the effects loop on your amp, especially by the way described it. I had the same problem with my VOX effects loop, but in the end I liked the boost because I wanted my effects to be more noticeable then my regular tone, if it gets too out of line I would just roll down the guitar volume a touch. Although glad to see that you found a solution that worked for you.

by rizzorock on 2011-06-23 13:25:27

Unfortunately it isn't the loop. The amp loop is on all the time. Only when the M5 is engaged within the loop does the boost in volume occur, so it is most definitely the pedal.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.