These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

My JTV Li-Ion Battery Charger Doesn't Charge
by davidb7170 on 2011-06-16 18:16:05

I use my JTV-59 powered by my POD X3L pedal via the VDI cable usually, but wanted to use it with the battery with another amp, so I put the battery in it and it showed 2 power LED's on the back of the JTV with the battery test.

I decided to bring it up to full charge, so I pulled out the battery charger and put the battery in it and plugged it in, but the charger cradle LED kept blinking. I pulled out the battery charger instruction sheet and it describes blink codes. I thought at first the constant blink meant bad battery, but the bad battery indication is On (1/4 sec) Off (1/4 sec) continuously or about 2 flashes per second. What I was observing was about a slow 1 second On/Off flash.

I measured the battery voltage prior to trying to charge it and it was about 7.1 volts.I measured the power module DC plug voltage and and found it to be about 12 volts, as expected per it's label. I could not measure the charger cradle voltage across it's contacts, as it has an apparent shorting contact arrangement. I put the battery in it and left it for a few hours, and it continued flashing slowly. Never went into the LED on constantly state indicating the charge mode.  I pulled the battery out of the charger after a few hours and measured the terminal voltages and still found about 7.1 volts on it - it's label states 7.4 volts (I assume for full charge).

I took the battery out of the cradle, and the LED kept flashing slowly -- so it does not matter whether the battery is in the charger or not, the LED continues to slowly flash, and the charge indication in the guitar did not increase, nor did the measured voltage of the battery itself.

The upshot here is, I believe the charging cradle is defective, and would like it replaced. I received my JTV-59 on May 5, returned it for repair -- had the switching issue found to be excess flux on a solder joint and recieved it back in good working order. I've been using it on gigs -- five so far with no problems. Love the guitar, just need a replacement charging cradle for the battery, now. I called the customer service line and sat on hold for 35 - 40 minutes -- pretty sure my call went over quitting time 5 pm PDT, so will try again, but thought I'd try parallel avenues here. Please, Line6 guys pick up on this question and issue me a support ticket, so we can get the ball rolling. This should be a warranty replacement. Doubt that there is a fix for this other than a replacement cradle. You have my user name from this entry.

Thanks,

Dave

RE: My JTV Li-Ion Battery Charger Doesn't Charge
by Kneehow on 2011-06-17 11:14:20

I have created a support ticket for you regarding this situation. A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

Re: RE: My JTV Li-Ion Battery Charger Doesn't Charge
by davidb7170 on 2011-06-17 16:41:45

Perry --

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this. I dropped a quick note with the customer service rep on the support ticket page. I will keep this question open until I receive the replacement and make sure it operates properly.

Thanks again,

Dave

by davidb7170 on 2011-06-21 17:26:26

Perry --

I just got an email notification that my support ticket on this issue was updated -- it gave a link to check it, and when I did, the support ticket was gone for the battery charger issue #154348. Umm... what happened to it? My other support ticket for the switch problem (now fixed and closed) is still listed, but no this one.... Just curious.

Dave

by davidb7170 on 2011-06-27 18:03:19
Bump

by davidb7170 on 2011-06-28 18:07:28

Received the replacement charger tonight -- it charged my battery fine! Came by UPS.

Thanks,

Dave

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.