These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Livin' on a prayer Talkbox effect with Pod HD 500
by dbarabe on 2011-06-18 15:25:50

Hi guys,

I'd like to know if you have been able to get a similar effect of the talkbox used in this song with the HD 500 and if yes, how you get it?  I tried with the voice box (under the filter effects) but I'm not able to get a descent one.  I must admit that I'm not very used with tone tweaking.  I found nothing in the custom tones area.

Thanks.

Dan

Re: Livin' on a prayer Talkbox effect with Pod HD 500
by gregr on 2011-06-18 16:16:32

Try either the Voice Box or V-Tron, which ever one responds to sensitivity and assign it to the expression pedal so that it works like a wah.  Set the start vowel to "U" and then end vowel to "A".

by dbarabe on 2011-06-19 12:49:08

Thanks gregr!

I don't see sensitivity under these 2 effects are you talking about the speed or the mix?  Also, i'm trying to replicate this using my guitar, is it possible or I should use a mic?  I never used that kind of effect before, so i'm very confused here.

Dan

by nedr on 2011-06-19 12:53:42

How to make a smooth transition between them (slide) pedal?

by gregr on 2011-06-20 19:32:46

Well I thought it was possible, until I tried it.  I can't find any way to manually change between vowel sounds using the expression pedal.

by ChristophK on 2011-06-21 00:53:09

We have "It's My Life" on the set list, where I use the voice box filter to simulate the talk box. Unfortunately, you can not use a pedal to change between vowels. The voice box does it automatically and you have to sync to the tempo of the song. Here are my voice box settings:

• Position post amp
  • Tempo sync 1/4 note to tap tempo
  • Start vowel A, end O (this is for the beginning of "It's My Life, for "Prayer" U -> A should be better)
  • Auto 1 (vocal transition setting)
  • Mix 40% (this is important, with 100% you loose too much from your amp sound)

This will not 100% replicate the effect Ritchie is creating on "It's My Life", because he does not simply change from U to A in quarter notes. Maybe you even need a different patch with whole notes for the verse. But that's how far you can go with HD on board means. Good luck!

by litesnsirens on 2011-06-21 05:26:53

Hmm, this is sounding like a good request feature, being able to assign the vowel change to the expression pedal.  Currently I have a Banshee Talkbox it's the only other pedal on my pedal board.  It would be great to be able to remove it and cover that ground with the HD500 itself.  Smaller footprint.  Although the crowd seems to love the talkbox when I use it.

by gregr on 2011-06-21 08:20:30

If you can get it to work with a constant cycle, you could toggle the ending vowel with the expression pedal.

I was inititally thinking just between the letters "A" and "E", but if you can manage to work it to include the letter "U" (work the expression to skip over "I" while maybe sometimes expressing to "O") then you might be able to get the whole enchilada!

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-06-21 09:36:40

try the vocoder  that is the one that simmulates the Real effect........    check out youtube on how to set it up

by gregr on 2011-06-21 11:09:11

I have it!!!

Voice Box

Speed: Eighth Note

Start: "O"

End: Expression Pedal (Min:38, Max: 0)

Auto: Auto 1

Mix to taste

It turns out that when ever you express the pedal, the cycle holds so you can express the vowels manually!

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-06-21 13:25:23

The same principal applies to the Pod HD 500     so If you want the real sound use the real effect  you need a mic plugged into the Pod Hd 500 Input 1 Guitar Input 2 Mic Vocoder before the amp, That should do it if you try the other ways there always a chance youll be out of sync with the rest of the band.

by gregr on 2011-06-21 16:42:07

Sounds pretty good.  The vocal effect needs to be sung into the microphone though.

Because the the cycle restarts whenever the expression pedal changes a vowel using the voice box option and the rate is set with the tap tempo, timing shouldn't be an issue.  If it is, I recommend replacing your drummer.

I would try both methods.

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-06-22 05:11:03

There are two to three different tempo changes on the effect.  have fun tap dancing.   and the lead also has the effect on different tempos, Its going to be hard pulling that one of

setting specific tempo.    even a professional drummer  wont play on perfect meter every single time unless he has a monitor with a metronome.  I still think that the way you guys suggested is a great Idea, and it should sound terrific. But on this song with the tempo switching and stuff  would be hard to nail the exact effect.

If I want a wah effect I use a wah.   If I want distortion I use Distortion. If I want a TALK BOX I use VOCODER, which is a talk box. I try to use the appropiate effect for the best results.

Its easier.  But Like Greg said you should try both methods     Sounds pretty good.  The vocal effect needs to be sung into the microphone though.  

That is the way Richy Sambora does it with a mic.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2011-06-22 05:41:15

fingerscaraballo wrote:

I use VOCODER, which is a talk box.

Well, not quite.  The vocoder doesn't pass the actual sound into your mouth for you to modulate it.  But the guy in that video uses it to pretty decent effect.  I'm going to give this vocoder a shot with a cover of Hair of the Dog that we're preparing, but I worry about feedback at the kinds of stage volumes I'm using it at.  And I think it's going to take some getting used to over using a real talkbox.  Totally different technique.

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-06-22 05:54:29

Thanks Karl....   for clearing that up for me, Is always good to learn new things,  Good luck with the Nazareth song.   Also I was wandering If Greg could post his patch Im courious on how it will work.  most def would like to check it out....

and thanks again Karl  

by gregr on 2011-06-22 09:23:05

There are two to three different tempo changes on the effect.  have fun tap dancing.

The tempo doesn't change in the song, just the voicing.  This can be handled through the expression pedal, but you're right, there are those parts where the vowel changes once per measure and holds.

That is the way Richy Sambora does it with a mic.

A little googling on how a talkbox works prior to posting might have helped you a little bit.

by gregr on 2011-06-22 09:28:13
Greg could post his patch Im courious on how it will work.

I already posted the settings.

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-06-23 05:50:21

Thanks greg... Im doing a song with a similar effect and would like to try all options.  But that is great that you can do that with the pod. I will check out the settings you'd posted .....Thanks again

POD RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-06-23 06:26:26

I'm little confused as to the settings

Voice Box

Mix to taste

Also can I set the Tempo with the tap. Eighth note is not a tempo .  Sorry I've never used the voice box so I'm unfamiliar with it

I thought that you could Start: "O"    and End "U" or "E" or something like that,

Can you actually set the End to the Expression Pedal....

Wow that is great... I'm not in front of my unit right now but will most def check it out after work.

by litesnsirens on 2011-06-23 06:54:07

When you set tempo to 1/8 note in a particular effect, you are setting effect up to respond to the tapped in tempo in 1/8 note increments. Or dotted 1/8's or 1/4 or whatever.  If you are only seeing a bpm tempo in a particular effect, you have to dial all the way to the end to access the beat measure parameters.

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-06-24 04:38:02

Karl This is what got me a little confused, there's actually a talk box effect called vocoder.  But is not the one modeled in the Pod

Voice Box: Inspired by* Vocoders, Vocal Tracts &  Surgical Tubing. This model gives your guitar a sound that’s typical of a  classic “talk box.”

I got this from the line 6 site  where it discribres all the effects....

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2011-06-24 07:55:42

Yeah, the key phrase is "inspired by".  They took elements of the vocoder, envelope filter, and talkbox and merged them into a single effect that doesn't really work like any of them.

I gave this vocoder thing a try, but I'm obviously too used to a regular talkbox to make it work for me.  I keep forgetting that I have to vocalize something into the mic to make it work rather than just shaping the sound with my mouth.  And worse yet, I can't resist the temptation to sing the part instead of just vocalize in monotone.  It's a no-go for me on this one.  I'll just use a wah or dig my talkbox out of storage.

by litesnsirens on 2011-06-24 08:15:52

Well I guess the talkbox stays on the pedal board a little longer then.  I didn't really like the vocoder idea as a replacement anyway, having watched the video.  I am more interested and am holding out for being able to switch the vowel with the exp pedal.

by gregr on 2011-06-24 09:44:22

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

Yeah, the key phrase is "inspired by".  They took elements of the vocoder, envelope filter, and talkbox and merged them into a single effect that doesn't really work like any of them.

Did this effect precede the DigiTech AutoYa?  If not then the list of inpiration is somewhat incomplete.

DigiTech also has a YaYa which does allow proper expression though the pedal.

It's unfortunate that the V-Tron isn't capable of behaving similarly to the YaYa, but doing one better by allowing a variety of vowels.

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-06-24 09:46:33

Greg  posted some settings that do just that..   on this tread.

by fingerscaraballo on 2011-06-24 09:48:51

Voice Box

Mix to taste

These are GREGR's    settings

by gregr on 2011-06-24 10:49:56

The key word was "proper".  My configuration was an attempt to get the Voice Box effect to behave more like the YaYa, but it is still a hack.  The expression speed is still held at a fixed tempo.  I was wrong earlier when I thought the cycle reset whenever the pedal was expressed.  I was paying attention to the tap tempo light rather than the sound.

Honestly, I think the vocoder approach is much more realistic sounding.

You were right earlier when you said if you wanted a specific effect, you use the specific effect.  Line 6 does not have a talk box.

Had they tried to accurately model the DigiTech YaYa, giving us some additional "secret sauce" then we'd be able to get a lot closer.  Forgetting about the song, such an effect would provide a far greater outlet for human expression than either the Voice Box or the V-Tron.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2011-06-24 12:09:38

fingerscaraballo wrote:

Good luck with the Nazareth song. 

Hehe...if you know the kind of music I like, you'd know we're doing a cover of the Britny Fox version of that song.

by steveolson on 2012-07-23 14:11:58

Hi Gregr,

How do you assign the expression pedal to handle the second vowel? I know how to assign an effect to the expression pedal but don't know how to make it specific to that second vowel??? I'm having a heck of a time figuring out that part. also, I assume you had to assign the on/off switch control for the voice box effect to the toe switch or something? Any help would be great!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.