These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

M13 looper to trigger Vocals or guitars like a DL4/way to split signal? like Kele Orekeke (Bloc Party) and Dave Knudson (Minus the Bear)
by Giax1974 on 2011-06-28 10:35:59

Can the M13 be used like a DL4? like Kele Orekeke (Bloc Party) and Dave Knudson (Minus the Bear)?

Kele Orekeke from Bloc Party used the DL4 for triggering his voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEABlNYLGD0

(min 2:26)

Can then outputs of the M13 be send to different amps, let say I plug a MIC, and record a Voice loop in output 2, and on output 1 I got my guitar to an AMP.
So I can trigger the vocal effect, and play with the repeat once and send that to a PA, while output 1 is send to my guitar amp?

Will be like splitting the signal thoug the 2 different outputs?

I read that it can't be done but were theads from 2009, mAYBE THE FIRMWARE UPGRADE upgraded THIS?

Dave Knudson from Minus the Bear use 4 DL4s (I think 2 for looping and 2 for delays) to trigger different loops for guitar in this way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjSN_jEORfk&feature=related

Forguitar it almost worked in the same way, the stop button does not do ALL the trick, it stops the loop for guitar.

I hope there is a way to do these features, the M13 is GREAT, but doesn't make sense to get a DL4 after getting a M13, way too much space on the pedalboard, and M9 options doesn't work as FXsend and Fxreturn are not included for 4CM...

I notice and advantage on the M13 for looping guitars over the DL4, if you loop a guitar to be triggered like Knudson, the  EX-1 pedal can be adjust to smart harmony which can pitch and change the tone  your loops to whatever tone you want!!! this is awesome as you can have various smart-harmony switches set up all along the M13 switches, and assign 2 EXpression pedals to control different tones! This is not a extra extra latest news, but is AWESOME!!!

As usually Thanks in advance for you HELP!

And want to add that this guy Knudson is contributing a lot to guitar, very very creative, I was lucky to assist to a Minus the Bear gig in Florida the past month, and let me tell you his work is impressive, his creativity to loop with Line 6 pedals while playing guitar at the same time is more than impressive, definitively he is going to be on the history books of electric guitari of future! Great Job Knudson, inspiring!

Giax

Re: M13 looper to trigger Vocals or guitars like a DL4/way to split signal? like Kele Orekeke (Bloc Party) and Dave Knudson (Minus the Bear)
by phil_m on 2011-06-28 11:08:47

The M13 looper is mono, and it doesn't do the type of multi-track looping you're talking about. You could use the M13 sort of like two separate FX processors, though. You can plug a guitar into the input then go from the FX send to an amp. Then you could plug something else into the FX return, and go from the M13's output to somewhere else. If you had the looper set to pre, it would record your guitar. If you had it set to post, it would record the other source. But you're still only limited to one loop at a time, which it sounds like isn't what you want to do.

The way the looper is setup seems like a built-in hardware and/or memory limitation to me, so I really don't think the type of functionality you're talking about will be able to added with a firmware update.

Re: M13 looper to trigger Vocals or guitars like a DL4/way to split signal? like Kele Orekeke (Bloc Party) and Dave Knudson (Minus the Bear)
by Giax1974 on 2011-07-01 12:36:19

I think I got the pitcure, if I understood well how use the M13  like 2 separate FX processor would be:

FX Processor 1 (guitar):

1- Guitar> M13input

2- I can set Fx1 and FX2 to be part of my guitar effects chain

3- FXloop set to post 3?

4-M13 Send>guitar amp

------------------------------

FX Processor 2 (vocals):

1- MIC from console>M13 return

2-looper set to POST

3-record voice loop

4- M13 Output>TC Voicetone create> amp for vocals (does it make sense to put the voicetone create after the M13 output, or right before the M13 return?)

Other question at this point will be:

On the 2nd amp for the looped vocals, am I going to listen my guitar as well because the M13 signal is mono? or at this point the signal from the console is isolated/split?

Do I got it? If I am correct It will be very useful.

Thanks

RE: M13 looper to trigger Vocals or guitars like a DL4/way to split signal? like Kele Orekeke (Bloc Party) and Dave Knudson (Minus the Bear)
by Line6Hugo on 2011-07-01 15:05:12

The setup that you describe in your last post should work with the guitar and the Mic going to separate destinations. You can place your vocal processor wherever it sounds best for you, so I suggest trying all of your options and sticking with what works best for you.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Re: RE: M13 looper to trigger Vocals or guitars like a DL4/way to split signal? like Kele Orekeke (Bloc Party) and Dave Knudson (Minus the Bear)
by Giax1974 on 2011-07-12 07:34:32

I tried to loop the guitar and trigger/cut the loop with the play once button, but doesn´t work like a DL4, if you footwitch continuosly the play once button it tri-tri-tri-triggers well the loop but stops at the end of it, that button would work much better if lets the loop continue to infinite. (hope the next firmware upgrade fix this to make the loop similar as the DL4 which lots of people are using it for its looping capabilities).

Im will try the 2 processor setup tonight for vocals, I think that should work fine and will let you know.

RE: M13 looper to trigger Vocals or guitars like a DL4/way to split signal? like Kele Orekeke (Bloc Party) and Dave Knudson (Minus the Bear)
by Line6Hugo on 2011-07-12 15:15:14

Giax,

The DL4's Looper Play Once button act the same way as the M9's Play Once where it plays the loop only once pass no matter how many times you press the Play Once button.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.