These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: XD-V Digital Wireless Microphones

wireless mic forums

XD-V70L Sensitivity
by presbus on 2011-07-04 15:35:32

We're using a XD-V70L lavalier mic and it's super-sensitive. We used the quick setup. The sound quality and volume fluctuates with the slightest movement, when turning from one direction to another and when moving behind a music stand or other reflective surface. It's ridiculous... unusable, really. Is this a gain issue?

Re: XD-V70L Sensitivity
by dboomer on 2011-07-04 19:32:00

Welcome to the world of cardioid lav mics.  You are simple going on and off axis.  You just never get a music stand up against your face when using a regular handheld mic ... the same thing happens if you did.

You might try a headset or even an omni lav.

by presbus on 2011-07-08 06:07:59

Really? You can't use this mic behind a podium (2-3 feet) and you can't move around with it? I understand that it's difficult to describe on a forum like this, but the dynamics are very pronounced.

I've never experienced this with other lapel mics. I'm not lazy and I've looked through the manuals, but haven't found any sort of tips about mic placement or settings.

Can you point me to any resources that might help me out with this... I don't see others reporting this kind of problem, so I'm sure we're screwing this up some how... Environmental filter, gain, placement on the person speaking or a combination?

Thanks

by dboomer on 2011-07-08 10:41:07

Have you tried switching the Environment filter off?  If it doesn't see a certain level you may be doing more harm than good.

When 2-3 feet behind the podium is there also a mic on the podium?  If so you could be hearing comb filter effects.  As a general rule a sound source should be picked up by one and only one mic.

This does not sound like a gain related issue.

As far as placement on a person, if you get the lav mic closer to their mouth then turning their head side to side will cause a noticeable difference in tone.  If you get it further away it will have less tone shift but be more suceptable to reflected sound causing cancellations.  You will also likely get less level before feedback (depending on a number of other things).

by presbus on 2011-07-08 18:47:08

Hey, thanks a bunch!

RE: XD-V70L Sensitivity
by Line6Don on 2011-07-12 09:28:46

Hey presbus,

You are very welcome.

by DanCornett on 2011-07-21 19:11:32

Just to reinforce the "one mic only" comment --having both a podium mic (or mic on a stand) and a lav (or headset) ALSO turned on, the sound is real likely to be terrible.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.