These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Line 6 Lounge

Using Line 6 Software in Linux
by JaszboChristus on 2009-05-01 08:20:29

Hi guys. I just installed Ubuntu Studio Linux on my HP dv6646us laptop, and I installed the Line 6 Line Monkey and Pod Farm using Wine. Wine allows one to install Windows programs under Linux. I don't know if there is much of a call for this among Line 6 users, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway because Ubuntu Studio Linux, and 64Studio Linux, as well, are for multimedia production both for the home hobbyist and the engineering professional.

Cheers,

Jasz

Re: Using Line 6 Software in Linux
by d3drocks on 2009-05-02 19:50:45

I have bad news for you.

Wine has no support for Drivers of any sort.

podfarm just wont run.

you can get XT drivers for linux, but they are native linux drivers.

what I can suggest doing though (assuming you have a good soundcard), run a pod into the left and right in on the soundcard, and capture it with Ardour. the LADSPA (sorry if thats not the correct abreviation) plugins that are bundled may not be the best, but they can do some magic. you can also compile VST support into ardour, but again, the driver issue will be there for podfarm. if you do compile VST support, I've been researching how amp modeling works, and have been developing my own amp vst. its in the really early stages, but look here: www.d3drocks.co.cc

its based off of a small fender amp.

by sonicrevolution on 2009-05-02 21:03:43

Jasz...could you give us an update? Was this succesfull? We have a thread running on this topic running at http://line6.com/community/groups/toneport-kb37 and are very much interested in a linux based integration. Pleas take a few minutes and come over and tell us what you have learned.

by JaszboChristus on 2009-05-02 23:32:08

Well, even if well intended, I may have spoken prematurely. I am still paying on my Pod X3 Live that I have on layaway at Guitar Center Here in Peoria. I have downloaded a Line 6 USB driver for linux which may or may not work. As soon as I am able to test it out, I will keep you posted. I should have done more thread research before getting your hopes up here in the Line 6 community.

Jasz

by JaszboChristus on 2009-05-02 23:56:31

Hi. I just found some stuff via a google seach, and there are some folks who have had some success with Ubuntu Studio on the Ubuntu Forums. Follow the link I have provided below.

Hoping to give you hope,

Jasz

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-676048.html

by d3drocks on 2009-05-07 06:11:18

he did not use drivers.

He set the pod to go direct in.

there are only pod-xt drivers for linux, and they are HARD to compile correctly if you dont know much about linux.

using Jack, and SDL in linux will get you better latencies then ASIO btw. Ardour is also an amaizing program to use on linux, and if you do a custom compile, you can use windows VSTs in it.

by jlipoth on 2010-04-04 21:45:42

I've come close trying the line6 usb driver and wine with gearbox, but I'm not that well versed in linux to know how to setup all the background stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyfFCsW8l1k

I skinned my ubuntu install to look like windows (and my windows install to look like ubuntu LOL).

Does anyone have suggestions?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.