These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 + M5 = More Available DSP
by TheRealZap on 2011-07-11 06:27:37

just to see if i could get arround some DSP limitations i hooked these 2 together, and was quite surprised at how seemlessly they worked together.

hooked them up with an insert cable and a couple of patches for the stereo loop and then just hooked the midi in and out between them.

surprisingly it was as simple as adding the FX loop to the tone, choosing the preset on the M5, and saving the tone...

recalled the right preset no problem.

i used it to add the 63 spring to a few tones to take a nice load off the DSP... worked great.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/48r9tkZobWm9JBmnYK-guA?feat=directlink

took this using a cell phone vid, so for lack of four arms its just me switching things around and showing the M5 switching presets...

no playing... but i can assure you it worked

1310321779376-orig.jpg

Re: POD HD500 + M5
by GibsonSG0005 on 2011-07-11 08:07:37

Very cool idea! I always wondered about the MIDI possibilities. The M-series fx pedals are great I used to use an M13 b4 my POD HD500.

Re: POD HD500 + M5 = More Available DSP
by MaestrosounD on 2012-04-18 02:35:36

Almost a year after your post i'm considering the same, googled and end up here. Great idea of you ask me. if you're able to eliminate the verbs and delays from the pod, the dsp limit becomes irrelevant i guess. also, since the hd 500 has assignable midi switches, you can forget the m5 when set up. how does this work out for you; for examppe, one footswitch for delay and one for verb, all in one patch, controlled by midi. If i would do it, choice would still be between m5 and m9. Do you still use (a variation on) this set up?

by MaestrosounD on 2012-04-18 03:02:16

Oh and what do use the midi cable from the m5 mii out to the pod for? (tell me everything, cause it seems like such a cool combination!)

by TheRealZap on 2012-04-18 03:55:01

its surprisingly straight forward... standard midi cabales to the in/outs...

this of course, allows the HD500 to control the M5.

the only tricky cable is an "insert" cable (stereo TRS to dual mono TS 1/4") to accomodate the loop plugin and maintain stereo, and of course a couple of standard 1/4" TS cables.

other than that... it's super easy... just change the m5 to the preset you want to pull up... and save!

when you switch back to that patch it will recall your preset.... no extra knowledge or fancy menus etc to deal with.

i don't see why it wouldn't work with an M9 too... but that would get pretty big! as it was i also have an expression on the HD500 and a seperate expression on the M5...

i used it plenty, but my stuff is in boxes at the moment, while i prepare to relocate.

by MaestrosounD on 2012-04-22 07:21:08

nice, really nice. Yeah that m9 thing was kind of an impulse, it's really not feasible. The m5 however...

As going stereo is a future plan of mine, I will have to replace my mono stereo ernie ball eventually with a stereo one, but it would be a lot easier if I could connect an expression pedal to the m5(hd is already taken) to control the volume there. Therefore my question is, is it possible to control the volume of the m5 signal with an expression pedal without the effect 'volume pedal'? I used to have an m13 and I remember it wasn't possible on that machine, so I doubt it, but just curious.

by TheRealZap on 2012-04-22 08:31:54

i doubt the M5 would do the chain volume, but never really tried. i pretty much use that expression for like trem speed and a few other quirky little accents here and there...

with the builtin expression, and the addon expression pedal on the HD500 i'm covered... and there's always the guitar volume

i do know that you can run a noisegate AND an effect on the m5, so it kind kind of sort of do 2 at a time.

always fun to have a little more to expirement with.

by MaestrosounD on 2012-04-23 04:21:50

Yeah controlling volume won't be a problem. Thanks for the info, I am looking for a second hand m5 now, might take a while. I'll get back to you with my results in a a month or two...

by MaestrosounD on 2012-05-01 05:19:53

So I bought this second hand m5 in brand new condition and connected it via midi with my hd 500. It's a pretty cool set up this way, but I cannot seem to get the hd500 and m5 working together perfectly. Tap tempo is set up, and I can turn on a preset on the m5, but I can not turn it off, unless I use a seperate footswitch with the midi command to toggle between 'fx on and off'.

Have you encountered this problem and found a workaround?

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-01 05:24:30

i simply assign one of the FS on the 500 to turn the loop off, and let the M5 sit idle.

i've never bothered playing with the tap temp as i generally am using it to offload reverb.. although i do use it for other things...

but i use the expression to control delay time etc, rather than tap tempo

by MaestrosounD on 2012-05-01 16:58:02

After playing with the set up for a few hours this evening, I actually really like the autonomous part of having an m5 next to the hd 500, while maintaining some functionality such as tap tempo. Also, I just have one footswitch on the 500 assigned to switch the m5 on and one to turn it off. I need to, since I cannot turn the loop off, due to other pedals in the chain.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-05-01 17:19:03

Bro i have an idea What if you use this M5 at front of your FX chain

I mean i dont know how many effects you can use at the same time in the m5! But it will be cool if you could at least use 3 like Noisegate-OD/DIS you know what i mean right!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.