These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 doesn't exist on line 6 monkey connection using MIDI 2 USB cable
by ardie_b on 2011-07-12 10:17:54

Dear Line 6,

I have a problem with my gear's midi setup, I need to use and setup hd500 from line 6 Monkey using MIDI to USB cable. But it seems the line 6 monkey doesn't support yet this new hd 500 device. The list of POD HD500 device on MIDI connection configuration doesn't exists. Please refer to the attachment screen grab. Any ideas ?

Re: POD HD500 doesn't exist on line 6 monkey connection using MIDI 2 USB cable
by gunpointmetal on 2011-07-12 10:51:36

I am 99% sure that in order to use Line6 Monkey to update firmware and such you need to connect to your computer via the USB port on the I/O panel of the unit. The MIDI I/O doesn't support data transfer in that way as far as I know.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-07-12 10:55:48

The HD500 MIDI ports won't register the POD in Monkey.  You must use a USB cable to connect the HD500 to your computer.

Nick

by ardie_b on 2011-07-12 11:19:28

Thanks for the reply,

I already did that before using MIDI 2 USB cable, I just want to test and need to use MIDI on my HD500.

I also test the MIDI connection using www.anvilstudio.com, there is a utility to check MIDI connection. The connection only works on MIDI sent from computer to HD500, but it cannot send MIDI message "note on" (MIDI footswitch assignment) from HD500 to computer. Is this MIDI out / thru require another MIDI controller device for DAW software like Sonar ? I need to use hd500 as "note on" MIDI input for Sonar Virtual Instrument, but still no luck.

RE: POD HD500 doesn't exist on line 6 monkey connection using MIDI 2 USB cable
by Line6david on 2011-07-13 14:24:38

Hi,

The POD HD500 communicates with the computer via a USB connection.

What did you want to do via MIDI with the device?

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: RE: POD HD500 doesn't exist on line 6 monkey connection using MIDI 2 USB cable
by ardie_b on 2011-07-14 03:57:05

Hi david,

I just need to be sure does this hd500 can automatically convert guitar signal into midi through "Note On" message ?

I was recommended by friends using sonnus guitar to midi converter, but it will cost me a few more bucks. Is that possible using only hd500 to do a MIDI note on ?

This video is what I meant about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaNlcXuGmI

Re: RE: POD HD500 doesn't exist on line 6 monkey connection using MIDI 2 USB cable
by phil_m on 2011-07-14 07:37:49

The MIDI ports on the HD500 won't work for that application. Actually, the HD500's MIDI ports aren't seen at by the HD500 driver, as far as I know. They are there for the sole purpose of sending and receiving MIDI messages to other MIDI hardware.

by gunpointmetal on 2011-07-14 10:59:03

yep, if you want to use your guitar to play notes on virtual instruments you're gonna need some other hardware. The HD500 DOES NOT convert audio to MIDI and the MIDI ports will not send audio to your PC. You could use it as a channel switcher or similar with midi stuff, but you're not gonna be able to "play" MIDI instruments with your guitar.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.