These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

UX2 latency!
by WrighTrax on 2011-07-13 11:59:16

Greetings, I am trying to get my latency buffer size down to 64 samples for the buffer size in Record/Reason (the lowest I can get is 128 now) . Any suggestions on how I can make that happen? I just built this computer a couple weeks ago. I'm looking to get zero latency for MIDI/audio recording & also stop glitching at low buffer settings.

Here are my computer specs:

8 GB Ram

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor 3.20Ghz

Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

With the power I'm running on this computer, I'm not sure why this isn't working. Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: RE: UX2 latency!
by Kneehow on 2011-07-13 16:01:28

There'll never be such a thing as "zero" (0) latency, but that's being too technical. I think the ideal is to always achieve the "lowest" possible amount of latency when dealing with audio that gets converted from analog to digital, processed through software running on a computer and then back out through another converter to go from digital back to analog and out though headphones or speakers... then through the air distance to your ear/eardrums for you to actually "hear" the sound.

First off, please ensure you're monitoring from the outputs (either Analog 1/2 outs or the Phones out) of your UX2.

Secondly, in Reason or RECORD Audio Preferences, make sure you have the "ASIO UX2" driver.

I'm sending you a screenshot of the KB37 I have at work and the Reason 5 Audio Preference settings. I'm at 128 samples (Buffer Size) with Input Latency of 7ms and Output Latency of 12ms.

When triggering synth and sampler devices in Reason, I don't experience any humanly perceivable latency from the moment my fingers depress a key(s) on the KB37 MIDI controller and the time my ears are hearing the sound of the synth device being triggered.

When playing back a project that has a higher number of tracks, I typically will raise the Buffer Size up to at least 512 samples to provide better playback (so you don't choke the CPU).

But you can't ever get zero (0) latency. I don't know of any analog/digital audio interface that has this ability. You can however, get low latency!

by cruzz903 on 2011-07-13 16:51:12

you are right! physicly speaking. there is no such thing as 0 latency. if you were to create a cpu,usb and soundcard (line 6 ux2 in this case) all out of fiber optics. there would still be latency since light also has a speed.latency would pretty much be @ 0,0000000001333 ms if light were used. but i think you can get a pretty good low latency with the line 6 ux2. i read you have an AMD processor. i own an POD studio ux1 myself. and a laptop with an AMD chipset. turns out theres a problem with the chipset. however i haven't been able to fix it. please anyone help :/

by WrighTrax on 2011-07-13 22:07:39

Thanks guys, I know that there is no such thing as "zero" latency. I was referring to as least as possible which I've come to understand as a buffer size of 64 samples.

I am monitoring from Analog 1 & 2 with the ASIO driver selected but my input latency is 16ms and output is 29ms (with a buffer size of 128 samples...lowest I can get down to).

How can I get this down to your latency time?

RE: UX2 latency!
by Line6Don on 2011-07-15 09:56:12

Hey WrighTrax,

Windows 7 has a significant amount of visual effects active that can put a damper on your computer's resources. i would recommend to follow along with the instructions provided below to optimize your Windows 7 computer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

In addition, within Record/Reason there is a CPU usage limit that you might want to remove as well. Select File from the upper left of the program, then select the preferences menu, then select the general tab. Towards the bottom of the menu you will see the CPU usage limit, set this to none.

Please try removing any additional unnecessary USB and firmware devices from your computer when troubleshooting this issue. Make sure to connect it directly to a USB port and not a USB hub, extension, or keyboard of any kind, preferably connect it to a USB port on the rear of computer. Try using additional USB cables and every USB port available.

Using the latest Line 6 ASIO driver, making these adjustments and configurations, as well as Perry's suggestions for connecting your monitoring source directly to the UX2 should help to reduce your latency.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.