These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Has anyone posted the step by step to change to Graphtech Ghost saddles on the Acoustic 700?
by darien7 on 2011-07-18 13:37:32

I am making the change over to Graphtech Ghost saddles on my Variax 700 acoustic. I have ordered the saddles and they gave me 3 saddles for the high strings model #BN-9286RU and 3 for the low strings #BN-9277RU. I paid around $120 + a few $ for shipping.

It seems pretty straightforward to remove the bridge assembly and solder the new ones in place of the original ones. I have read earlier posts and it seems the Graphtech comes with a connector that must be removed and that there are 2 wires for the saddle; blue for ground and silver for the lead.

Has anyone had any problems with this switchover? I have tried to seach the community for this exact operation but all I get is posts where people are switching electric 700's or acoustic 300, which I suppose is not the same-. Either I am not versed on proper search techniques here, or the search function leaves a little to be desired. Anyway, I appreciate any insights.

Re: Has anyone posted the step by step to change to Graphtech Ghost saddles on the Acoustic 700?
by amx05462 on 2011-07-18 17:11:56

ok 

Re: Has anyone posted the step by step to change to Graphtech Ghost saddles on the Acoustic 700?
by darien7 on 2011-07-18 19:28:08

Maybe to clarify my question, I have not  received the ordered saddles from Graphtech yet so I do not know how they match up to the LR Baggs orginals. I simply believed the many posters here that they were much better saddles. Now with that said, I put my question to the community, which I think a wise thing to do, just in case there are unforeseen issues. I hope this conveys my question better. 

by amx05462 on 2011-07-19 02:32:29

ok   again  i personally  have  not seen anyone post any  info on this subject.

this  is not a  plug in deal.  all the references  you have  seen to my  knowledge. are  for  the  electric  models.

the  acoustic  while the same   principal  is done  differently

it  requires  you   most likely to cut the  ends off the  new  pickups  voiding there  warantee.  it  requires  you to  remove  the baggs  pickups    voiding any warrantee on your  guitar.  then you  will have to get at the   board  the  original pickups  are  on.  to solder that  new  set of pickups in.  again  if you feel confident   you can do this   then by all means      go ahead.   in the mean time  i can tell you some  people  struggle  with this  stuff  . and  is  best  to have someone  qualifyed do the  install for them.

i dont  know  you   or  what  knowledge you have   . in other  words  you may work for  nasa  or  you may work for  mc ds.   so i have to give   what answer  i have  for  you.

then again   i see  why line  6   gives  general answers  to people and  no details.  btw  you wont  get anything  from them other  than   they dont  encourage  you doing this .  the reason is  because  there  not   goingto tell you anything   that would  make them liable.   wise  on there  part  from what ive  seen.

anyway  this  is  my take on it  .

in the  mean time  go over to graph techs    site  and   find  your  pickups . i  did  look up  the  vague  manual   and  it  does  say they are two connector  .     the  baggs pickups    have either   2 or 3  wires     there   manual  is  less  clear than   graphtech . graphtech  would  most likely  have you  buy there  acoustic board  . about the  size  of two postage   stamps  and  have you connect  the pickups to that  and the board  to  where  ever. but   interconnecting  this   board  to your  variax   could bering  you more  problems.

in short   if your not having  problems  with your  guitar..  best   to let  sleeping dogs  lie  ay

good  luck.

by darien7 on 2011-07-19 13:39:46

Unfortunately, my D string is giving heavy static intermittenly at the worst times (on stage). I was unable to fix the problem by reseating the saddle in the bridge so I opted to change them all out. I was able to order the saddes only from Graphtech- the tech said this conversion was becoming quite popular with others ordering up their brand. There really is not a good picture on their site of the saddles. It seems that the pickups are part of their Ghost Acoustic Midi Systems and a not so great pic of them can be seen here:   http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=102

Thanks for your thoughts Amx

by amx05462 on 2011-07-19 13:51:33

sounds  more  like  it  may be a  bad  solder  joint  most likely the ground.  on the  pickups  ground

by darien7 on 2011-07-19 14:04:25

That may be true, but it is too late now. To fully fill out my story, in attempting to reseat the D saddle, I found out there was not much wire to work with and it pulled completely out of the saddle- so I killed it.

One thing I feel good about is my conversation I had a few months ago with Graphtech in that their saddles are better sealed where the baggs seal can let moisture in which wreaks havoc with the signal. I have had a terrible time in the past with my parker saddles going out on me with diminished volumes. I'm not saying it's the same thing but I am excited to see if I can get a richer tone with the Ghost.

by amx05462 on 2011-07-19 15:11:00

most likely  you will be very satisfyed.  i saw  a big  improvement  whe i put them on my 300.  like  night  and  day

RE: Has anyone posted the step by step to change to Graphtech Ghost saddles on the Acoustic 700?
by Line6Don on 2011-07-25 09:44:54

Hey darien7,

Just as amx05462 mentioned, we do not support modifying the guitar in this fashion. Therefore there are not any further tips or tricks I can provide to you regarding the installation of your new Graphtech Ghost saddles.

by amx05462 on 2011-07-25 15:14:26

http://line6.com/support/message/223893#223893

gohere.

ive  posted  it here  and  in spots  in the   forum your  in.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.