These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

input issue
by galloway on 2011-07-24 11:38:38

Hey there- I have an M9.  It's mounted on my pedal board. I have tried everything I know before going this route.  My pedal board is as follows.  A pedaltrain system with a voodoo pedal power 2  +   volume  +   tu-2  +   xotic ac plus & bb preamp  +   M9 (w expression ch1) out to amp.

I was playing at home (M9 not even gigged yet) and the M9 was engaged (mid boost) after the Ac plus. Within a few minutes my signal just died.

I disengaged the unit and I had signal.

I powered down the unit ( true bypass) and I had signal.

I waited 30 sec and plugged the unit back in... in bypass mode I had signal. {multiple times}

Everytime I activated any pedal in a scene the sound is not there, but I can access all the presets, looper function, tuner and folders, but no sound.

I am in momentary latch at the moment.

The power supply is mounted on my board and is powered by the buffered power of the voodoo lab.

I swapped out the input cables to the M9 (lava cable) and still no go.

Perhaps I pushed the input with the  boosters in the front.

I LOVE the M9 and am perplexed at the problem.

background on me: I have an audio degree and understand signal flow. I have been doing this 25 years and dislike not being able to figure out things on my own.

Thanks

JG

Re: input issue
by phil_m on 2011-07-24 12:53:29

I very highly doubt that it has anything to do with the level of the signal at the input. I run the Xotic RC Boost in front of my M13 along with other overdrive and/or distortion pedals. It seems to me that's it's likely some other component that it faulty in the M9. It could be a bad relay or converter. How old is the M9? It sounds like something that warrants a trip to a service center to me.

by galloway on 2011-07-25 07:48:56

@ Phil-- Thanks for the email.  I got the unit in late June 2011 N.I.B. from an authorized dealer in Atlanta on ebay and I registered it (luckily).  I've had it right at a month.  I figured there is something under the hood.  It is weird that all my presets are there but there's no sound.  Hopefully something simple- eithere way it should be covered via warranty.  All the best JG

by ljholland on 2011-07-25 13:24:00

I'm a little unclear on your question.  So - the M9's power supply is plugged into a 110 volt outlet?  I don't believe that Pedal Powers have regular AC outputs.

Anyway - the Pedal Power is NOT capable of powering a M9.  The outputs of the PP are DC and the M9 requires AC.  The jacks look the same but it will not work if you try to power your M9 from the PP.

RE: input issue
by Line6Don on 2011-07-28 13:48:34

Hey galloway,

This is why we always suggest to use the provided power supply with any of our effects pedals. Usually problems surface as partial functionality, or in worse cases they can permanently damage the unit.

Re: RE: input issue
by galloway on 2011-07-29 06:26:26

Guys- maybe I was unclear.  The pedal power has an outlet in the back of it which provides clean buffered 110 power.  I plugged a power strip in there and have my amp and M9 adapter in the power strip at 110 V.

I know that the M9 can't be powered out of the brick of the Pedal Power-

I can read... geez..... :-)

And before anybody else asks, I'm not running my boosters that are before the M9 at 18V.

Whenever I enact the unit as a looper or to do effects after it has been on for an hour or so, this input issue happens.

Don- It worked after a "day off" and I was playing last night and it's doing the same thing.

I need an RA# to take to a service shop. Can you provide please?

I have a video of the issue that I can try and send you via a cloud.

Thanks

Jimmy

by phil_m on 2011-07-29 06:35:38

I  knew what you meant regarding the power supply, if it's any consolation...

Hope you can get it taken care of without much hassle.

by galloway on 2011-07-29 07:33:44

I appreciate that, I could tell from your post that you and I were on the same page.

No worries all around

RE: input issue
by Line6Don on 2011-08-01 14:45:10

Hey galloway,

I apologize if I misunderstood you. I would recommend having a local Line 6 Service Center assess and repair the M9 for you. To locate a Line 6 Service Center in your area, please follow the link below:

http://line6.com/service_centers/

If there is not a service center in your area please let us know and then we can being the RMA process for you.

In the mean time, can you please make sure to fill out the rest of your contact info at the link below:

http://line6.com/account/personalinfo/

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.