These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 Tuner Not Quite Right
by dvuksanovich on 2011-07-25 10:46:12

Anyone else having issues with the accuracy of the tuner in the HD500? If I tune my open high and low E strings to what the POD's tuner says is dead perfect, I can hear that they're not in tune with each other... not an intonation issue since I don't have to fret any notes to hear the problem... the open strings themselves are wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: POD HD500 Tuner Not Quite Right
by dvuksanovich on 2011-07-25 10:50:29

FYI I have the latest firmware.

by mriely on 2011-07-25 11:53:23

I have the same issue on the HD400. The ** is way too lenient. Maybe Line 6 can add a setting to make ** more strict? I have double locking tuners on my guitar and can turn the fine tuning quite a bit and still be at **.

by stevest on 2011-07-25 11:56:52

My HD500 tuner matches up perfectly with my strobe tuner.  Using the latest firmware as well.

by dvuksanovich on 2011-07-25 12:01:25

The precision seems good... it's just precise to the wrong pitches, if that makes any sense.

by mriely on 2011-07-25 12:10:00

Yes that makes sense. You have an accuracy problem, I think I have a precision problem.

by mr_slugworth on 2011-07-25 15:03:10

With the tuner engaged, make sure the reference pitch is set to 440 Hz (encoder knob 1).

Try tuning your low E string with the 12th fret harmonic, rather than the open string.  The bigger the string, the more it physically deforms (and changes pitch) as it rings.  Using the 12th fret harmonic minimizes this.

Try another guitar with this tuner and/or another tuner with this guitar.  Same issue?  Various guitar issues can cause tuning problems.  Even tuning other strings can throw previously tuned strings off.  Different guitars have different tolerance to staying in tune/going out of tune.

by daveschutt on 2011-07-27 15:15:37

Try turning the volume down on your guitar a bit too.  If you have hot pickups the HD seems very sensitive and picks up the overtones as well.  Sometimes I find I have to pick very lightly on the strings to avoid what was mentioned before of the over vibrating of the strings.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.