These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

clip I recorded with my HD500 (instrumental metal)
by Santuzzo on 2011-07-27 04:33:16

Hi,

I recorded this song of mine with my HD500.

I'd appreciate any kind of constructive criticism on the playing, mix, sound, tone, the song/riffs, etc.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=945046&songID=10890200

class="jive-link-external-small" href="http://soundcloud.com/larsbauer/metal-2-mix3" target="_blank">http://soundcloud.com/larsbauer/metal-2-mix3

Thanks,

Lars

Re: clip I recorded with my HD500 (instrumental metal)
by tatkovladko on 2011-07-28 06:05:48

Guitar tone and playing = thumbs up.

Drums ambience and overall level totally dominate the recording though. Sounds like a drumkit demo 

Redo (reduce a lot) the ambience on the drums and maybe if they still overpower everything (which probably won't be the case after you reduce their ambience) reduce their level too.

Otherwise, I liked it!

by Santuzzo on 2011-07-28 06:10:26

Thank you very much !

I usually like a string/loud drum sound, so I might have take that too far with this clip

I will try to improve on the drum sound!

Thanks again,

Lars

by Zangon595 on 2011-07-28 22:28:33

The tone is fantastic, I'd actually really like to know how it was produced (An IR, just the pod, ect.). The playing was spot on, my only beef with the track was that the drums felt overpowering, and a little over ambient.

Oh, and, how was the guitar recorded?

by Santuzzo on 2011-07-28 23:06:16

Thank you very much!

I will put some more work into the drums (and the whole mix).

I recorded this with my HD500 going direct into my UX2 interface into Cubase 6. No IRs used only the PODs amp and speaker sims.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-07-29 02:25:50

Great guitar tone and playing Lars :-)  And good to see it was done just with the HD500 direct into an audio interface.

Nick

by Santuzzo on 2011-07-29 05:19:42

Thank you very much, Nick !

I am VERY pleased with the sounds I'm getting with my HD500. I hear many people saying the need to use IRs for a goos tone, but I have to say I have been extremely happy with the speaker sims from the HD500.

What I still need to work on a lot, though (but this is not directly related to the HD500) is my mixing.......

Thanks again!

Lars

by lowyaw on 2011-07-29 05:34:30

i don't think the drums are too loud, it kinda has character, sounds good. which drum module were you using?

by Santuzzo on 2011-07-29 05:45:10

Thanks!

I used Addictive Drums with the Metal AddPak on this!

by lowyaw on 2011-07-29 05:53:14

oh yeah, i like this plug in. my favourite AD preset is Startup, though LOL

by lowyaw on 2011-07-29 05:55:12

i like the tone, too. can you post patches? what guitar were you using? pickups?

by Santuzzo on 2011-07-29 05:56:14

I also have EZDrummer and SD2.0, but for me and my l;imited knowledge SD2.0 is a bit overwhelming and too comp[licated (sounds amazing, though), and EZDrummer is a bit too limited, so Addictive Drums is just perfect for me and sonds great!

by ronnied50 on 2011-07-29 06:01:24

Great job all around...post that patch man!!!

by Santuzzo on 2011-07-29 06:04:36

Sure,

I used an Ibanez RG1527M 7 string on this with stock PUs.

I have basically two metal rhythm patches I use for easch track panned about 65 or 70 L/R.

I attached my patches.

Lars

EDIT: attaching did not work somehow, but you can PM me your e-mail address and I will mail them to you!

by Santuzzo on 2011-07-29 06:06:00

Thanks man !

See my message above, uploading the patches did not work, I got an error message, but you can PM me your e-amil address and I'll send them to you!

Same goes for anyone else interested in my patches

Lars

by lowyaw on 2011-07-29 06:08:59

yeah, it's a great plug in to get going quickly AND it sounds good. I have BFD2, too, and it's totally great, much more realistic than AD, but it works with glitches on both my machines while being used as a plug in within a host (Cubase)

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-07-29 07:14:22

Santuzzo wrote:

Thanks man !

See my message above, uploading the patches did not work, I got an error message, but you can PM me your e-amil address and I'll send them to you!

Same goes for anyone else interested in my patches

Lars

Hey Lars

There is something amiss with the file types that can be attached.  I have attached .h5e files recently but they show up as xyz.h5e.zip, however you can rename the file xyz.pdf and it will attach and as long as the recipients know to rename the file back to xyz.h5e before using it, it should work.  The Attach File option only shows up for me if I go back and edit one of my existing posts but it does work..... sorta.....   it's like the smileys aren't working either so I'll just use the old text version LOL :-)

Nick

by Santuzzo on 2011-07-29 07:25:09

Thanks Nick,

Yeah I noticed it's the file extension that cause a problem.

I just tried attaching as a zip file, but that did not work either, I would indeed have to change the extension to on of the extensions that are listed.

Lars

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.