These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Volume limit on XLR mic input?
by CatfishTX on 2011-08-08 20:08:12

When jamming I often have to use different volume levels on my microphone depending on which effect I'm using.

However, let's say I'm using a footswitch to turn an effect on, its possible I'm going to get a very loud, obnoxious squeal... forcing me to turn the effect off immediately, set the volume level, THEN use the Mic.

Is it possible to set a volume limit on the xlr input for a particular effect? Like you can with the foot pedal?

I'm playing a show tomorrow night, this would help lessen some embarrassment haha.

Thanks,

Catfish

Re: Volume limit on XLR mic input?
by ozbadman on 2011-08-08 22:04:46

Firstly, what HD device do you own. HD500?

Secondly, although you could conceivably do what you are asking, it seems to me that what you really want to do is correctly balance all your presets such that you don't have to use different volume levels on your Mic whenever you change presets/effects. Can you better explain your need to do this so the community can provide better advice?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-08-09 00:51:07

If you set up your patches with microphone and guitar in dual channel mode and keep the two signal chains (vocal and guitar) completely separate and panned hard left and right so you can feed different destination amps or mixer channels for your PA then any FX you use for your guitar need not affect your vocals and you can use a spearate simple reverb or delay on your vocal channel that will have no bearing on your guitar.  Even if you are using the same amplifier to amplify vocals and guitar as long as the channels are kept separate until the signal is summed to mono by using a single 1/4" jack output from the HD500 then the effectsyou use on the vocal channel should not be affected by any effects you use on the guitar channel.

If you keep the Vocal channel consistent in all the patches you intend to use in your show and only adjust the guitar channel amp model and FX accordingly, you should not experience any squeal when you switch between patches.

You will need to balance all your patches.  The way I would start is by setting up a dual channel base or template patch with my vocal channel set the way I want it and then I'd adjust only the amp model and effects and channel volume settings for my guitar channel.

You could add a compressor on the vocal channel in an attempt to limit the level on the vocal channel or if you have an external limiter or compressor/limiter you could insert an FX loop effect in the vocal channel in the HD500 and apply limiting that way, but of course that relies on outboard gear which you may not have.  The simplest approach is therefore to set up your HD500 patches with your amp so the vocal level is always consistent across all patches - so no feedback and then to adjust the guitar channel appropriately in each patch so guitar and vocal are always correctly balanced.

Nick

by CatfishTX on 2011-08-09 10:23:41

Haha I'm sory man... yes, I own the HD500.

And Yes, you are dead accurate with your description (which was way better than mine)

And Nick, I'm not going to lie man... I'm pretty dumb when it comes to electronic devices and such.  I got really lost when you were explaining that.  :/  any way you can throw some lamens terms at me since I'm a bozo?

Thanks again fellas,
Catfish

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-08-09 11:02:08

OK - I'll try :-)

The HD500 is capable of working in a single signal channel mode or in a dual channel mode.  So what this means is that you can have two entirely separate signal chains - i.e one that uses the Mic input and the other that uses the Guitar input.

When you reach the end of the signal chain you can combine everything back into mono - this is called summing - it's easy with the HD500 as using only one of the two 1/4" outputs will achieve this.

You can place effects in one of the two signal paths so that means you can put say a wah, distortion and delay as well as an amp model in  the guitar signal path whilst in the mic signal path you might only want a reverb.

OK - I've created a patch that should work with your HD500 (untested though! as it was built with just HD500 Edit and no HD500 connected). It uses two separate inputs for the signal chain - guitar on top for path 1 and XLR mic on the bottom for path 2. In path 1 I have a Wah, Screamer, JCM800 amp and cab model, chorus and delay then the mixer block which has this signal path panned full left. in the bottom path I have a boost compressor to lift the mic level, then NO AMP and then the Plate Reverb I have boosted this channel in the mixer block and panned it hard right. The panning means that you can send the two signal chains to separate amps or to two separate channel inputs on your PA if you want. I've included a Volume pedal at the very end. Bear in mind that this patch is completely untested and may possibly cause a DSP overload, but I've just put it together quickly to illustrate the kind of thing you can do. You will need to edit the FX yourself.

Nick

by ozbadman on 2011-08-09 12:30:38

Ahh. Cool.

On top of what Nick has said, I would suggest you download the free HD500Edit program for your PC if you haven't already done so. It's much easier to edit patches using that instead of your HD500. If this is all new to you, the quickest way to balance volumes of different patches is to edit the dB level of the patch in the Mixer screen. THat should get you started with getting your levels across different patches to be equal-ish. As you learn more about the HD500, you might want to experiment with other mechanisms that also more directly affect the tone of the patch.

David.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.