These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Strange latency in Windows 7 POD Farm
by Apacz on 2011-08-12 06:30:42

Hi!

I have a strange problem with my Line6 POD Studio UX2. I'm using this hardware for more than a year and there was no problems with latency on many different PCs and laptops. This time I installed POD Farm on Toshiba laptop DualCore Windows 7 32-bit.

It's been working perfectly for couple of hours (playing guitar in Pod Farm, with no DAW installed yet), then suddenly without any message or error, started to make latency about 12ms (which is not possible to play), even when trying to set the buffer to minimum, sample rates, bits and everything, everywhere. I tried to disable internal sound cards, install Asio4all, restart, changing settings in bios, reinstall POD Farm and devices to 4.0.2.3, experiment with power supply, GearBox, disable wireless, antiviruses etc... no results.

When I finally installed Ableton Live 8, strange latency suddenly disappeard (I'm talking about playing guitar trough POD Farm). I was really confused. It was working all the day and half of the day after. Recording, playing midi in Ableton, playing trough POD Farm and Ableton itself using ASIO UX2, everything perfect. After half of the second day, suddenly latency appeard as before. I tried every solution I found on the internet, no results. When I turned on my laptop on the third day and opened POD Farm, no latency lasted for 40 seconds then came for eternity.

I have no idea what is this. There was no kind of problems before using PC Win Xp Pentium 4 2,8Ghz and Notebook Samsung Win 7 64 bits i5.

Does Ableton change something in Asio drivers?

Thanks for reading this post

Marcin

Re: Strange latency in Windows 7 POD Farm
by TheRealZap on 2011-08-12 07:15:10

i would suspect possible power management issues... some programs will tell your computer to "stay awake" in certain ways... or to enable multiple cores etc... this can affect performance.... i dont have a solution, but just an area that i would look into.

Re: RE: Strange latency in Windows 7 POD Farm
by Kneehow on 2011-08-12 15:09:39

I'm inclined to agree with Zap. POD Farm uses our own proprietary ToneDirect driver to minimize latency, but keep in mind it's your computer's Operating System software that governs/regulates behavior between the physical USB port on the computer to the software programs running on top of the OS layer.

Ableton Live audio preference should ideally utilize the "ASIO UX2" option for lowest latency. But if you've selected that option in Ableton's audio preferences and latency intermittently goes up, that really sounds like an OS issue or possible a USB port/bus resource issue.

It might be good to go through the Optimization Doc: http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4282

by Line6Don on 2011-08-12 15:26:11

Hey Apacz,

Please try removing any additional unnecessary USB and firmware devices from your computer when troubleshooting this issue. Make sure to connect it directly to a USB port and not a USB hub, extension, or keyboard of any kind, preferably connect it to a USB port on the rear of computer. Try using additional USB cables and every USB port available.

Make sure that you have the most recent version of the Line 6 drivers and Monkey installed as well:

Windows Drivers 4.2.4.4:

http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=3987

Line 6 Monkey 1.41:

http://line6.com/getrelease?rid=4114

Windows 7 has a lot of process's running in the background that can take up your system's resources. We have some tutorials available to assist you with optimizing your Windows 7 system, please follow the links below:

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-2085

http://www.pcworld.com/article/172351/optimize_your_windows_7_pc.html

In addition, if you are using a DAW, try decreasing the buffer size on the audio preferences menu. As well as changing the buffer size on the Line 6 Audio-MIDI device menu which is located on the Control Panel. This will decrease latency but can introduce pops and clicks if your system can not process fast the audio fast enough, so you will have to experiment which setting works best for your computer.

by Apacz on 2011-08-13 05:06:49

That was good idea Zap!

The latency appeard because of the power management, which was set to Normal mode. When I set on High Performance everything seems to work perfectly (as long as I tried).

I will examine which part is responsible for this latency and I will post in here what exactly it is.

Thank you

Marcin

by Apacz on 2011-08-13 05:10:28

Hey Don,

I tried exactly everything of these, because I found this post somewhere on Line6 forum before. Nothing worked.

Marcin

by Apacz on 2011-08-13 05:21:28

Ableton Live audio preference should ideally utilize the "ASIO UX2" option for lowest latency. But if you've selected that option in Ableton's audio preferences and latency intermittently goes up, that really sounds like an OS issue or possible a USB port/bus resource issue.

Exactly! All the previous computers I used were totally fine, with no latency, even much much slower than this now. Trying to set buffer and sample rating in Asio drivers as well as in control panel to minimum, the best latency I could get is 10ms. It's not even through Ableton, but POD Farm itself. As I posted above, possibly it's USB port/bus. I will examine it trying settings in advanced options of power management and I will post the results in here. And of course make this post Answered.

Thanks

Marcin

by Apacz on 2011-08-15 08:30:04

When I changed power setting to High Performance, it's been working perfectly till the restart of laptop. When turned on next day, latency appeard and it still makes problems. I tried to change all of the power management settings, restarting, usb devices, no results.

Still waiting for any ideas.

Thank you

Marcin

RE: Strange latency in Windows 7 POD Farm
by Line6Don on 2011-08-15 11:43:59

Hey Apacz,

Glad to see that adjusting the power management for your computer as helped. If upon restart the symptoms have returned it is most likely due to the power management profile not being saved. Upon restarting you will need to make sure and re select the power management profile that you made the changes to in order to reactive the changes.

RE: Strange latency in Windows 7 POD Farm
by Line6Don on 2011-08-17 11:54:46

Hey Apacz,

This ticket is being closed due to lack of response within 48 hours. If you still have questions or are still experiencing an issue please start a new thread and mark the discussion as a question. To do so you can follow the link below and Ask a Question:

http://line6.com/support/community/support/

For more information about using the Online Technical Support System please review our FAQ at the link below:

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1451

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.