These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD hd400 with 4 cable method
by andyr86 on 2011-08-13 13:53:57

I'm interested in a multi effects pedal that support the 4 cable method. Right now I'm using the Boss me-70 through my amp's effects loop for modulation, delay, and reverb but I want to be able place the wah, compressor, distortions, and boost before the preamp. Will I be able to use the 4 cable method with the pod hd400. I know the hd500 is capable but it's too complex for what I need. I actually like the simplicity of the me-70 and I'm hoping the hd400 will cover my needs. I'm not intending to use the amp models (although it's a nice feature to have) and probably not even using more than 4 user presets. The M13 is too expensive for the few effects I'll be using and saving. I really would appreciate any help.

Andy.

Re: POD hd400 with 4 cable method
by gregr on 2011-08-13 13:58:55

andyr86 wrote:

Will I be able to use the 4 cable method with the pod hd400[?]

Yes.

by spaceatl on 2011-08-15 07:43:06

The only thing that you need to really be a little cautious when running the HD400 as FX only is the AMP button...I recomend that you tweak in a clean amp tone that is a close match to the bypass tone....The only reason I mention it is that I have 4CM my HD400 into several different amps to try them out...Being the lazy dude I am, I often have used patches I have with amp models tweaked in so I can compare the HD model to the preamp that is 4 cabled in the HD loop...Turning the AMP model on with FX loop engaged can be a lot of fun and lead to hearing loss...I did this last week with JVM...yikes...Use some caution around the MODE and FX1 buttons...

RE: POD hd400 with 4 cable method
by Line6Don on 2011-08-16 11:40:03

Hey andyr86,

You can use the four cable method with the POD HD400.

For more information about the four cable method please reference the link below:

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4742

by jcopeland1 on 2011-09-24 16:11:57

So do you leave your amp model off when doing the 4 Cable method or do you leave it on and run the amp clean and use the modeling and the effects interchangeably?

by spaceatl on 2011-09-24 16:19:24

Well, the SV preamp is in the HD400 FX loop...so toggling in the same patch is not really possible without two foot presses....FX Loop and HD amp model...It would be nice to have a 4CM mode option the setup menu....basically, this mode would mean that when the HD FX loop is on, the HD amp model is off and visa-versa...You can do this easily with an HD500 or Pro...I just leave the patch preset...4CM is not really worth the trouble with an HD400...An acedemic exercise for me...Yes, you can do it...but you really have to judge if it's practical or not...more tap dancing...

by jcopeland1 on 2011-09-24 16:53:58

So I assume with the JVm you were using amp distortion correct?  If so how did you route the time based delay's?  I am having trouble with them sounding muddy over a distorted preamp.  Is there  particular model of delay that works best?  Or is it better to just run the amp clean and use it as a pedalboard straight in?

by spaceatl on 2011-09-24 18:41:16

for 4CM set the FX Loop Pre...kill the FX in the SV,,,delays post...With the SVs I prefer to just use the power amp in...put the HD in combo pwr amp mode and set the switches to LIVE and LINE level for the output...On thing I have found useful for the HD loop is to jump the loop with a single patch cable, set the mix to 100%...basically, that turns the loop into a clean booster...set the pre to push the amp model, post to have clean level boost...You can set it specifically for each patch...I have found that the be a handy use of the HD400 loop...and less stuff to carry around...

by jcopeland1 on 2011-09-25 12:56:10

Thanks for the info...by the way what does SV stand for?

by spaceatl on 2011-09-25 13:25:20

you're welcome...SV = Spider Valve...

by jcopeland1 on 2011-09-25 15:40:59

Cool.  Got it now....I noticed the same thing.  I run a Hot rod deluxe and the tube driver really warms up the drive channel.  It's nice to have the delay's after the Preamp if I want to use it that way.  Thanks for all your help.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.