These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV 59 - VDI port physically broken on arrival?
by byrnnryb on 2011-08-14 05:00:26

Just received my Tobacco Sunburst JTV 59 from American Musical Supply, and everything was going well...until I tried to plug it in to my HD 500 via the digital variax cable.  Nothing.  No power, no sound. I inspected the plugs on each end of the cable...fine (I had used a Variax 500 on the HD 500 with no problems with the same cable.)  But then I look in the VDI port on the variax, and it definitely looks damaged.  The pins inside the jack are bent in ways they should not be, and a couple of them even look like they're missing...

I just purchased the guitar last week, and AMS has no more stock for a while.  I like the guitar, and would rather not have to replace it.  Is this part easy to repair?  Should I send it off to Line 6 for a new VDI port?  (There are no Line 6 authorized repair centers for hundreds of miles from where I live.)

Thanks,

-Bryan

Re: JTV 59 - VDI port physically broken on arrival?
by ozbadman on 2011-08-14 11:24:07

If you want to keep your 30-day return policy with AMS until you're fully satisfied you will have to send it back to them.

by byrnnryb on 2011-08-14 11:46:42

Well like I said, AMS has no more in stock, and I really like the finish/feel of the guitar that I got.  I'd rather find a way to repair this one than wait until AMS gets more in stock and replace it.

Any idea if Line 6's warranty would cover this?

by ozbadman on 2011-08-14 11:49:10

I would image it would be covered under warranty. If you sent it to AMS though, they'd just send it to Line 6 for repair for you. You could send it directly to Line 6, but then you lose your return policy with AMS. If you're OK with that, then call Line 6 support on Monday and they should open a support ticket, give you a return authorization number, and arrange UPS pickup for you. It may take a while to repair though as I'm not sure how many spare parts the repair workshop would have for these guitars yet. I'm sure they have common parts like the full electronics board, switches, etc., but the VDI conector they may have not have a lot of spares in the Repair department.

by byrnnryb on 2011-08-14 14:58:46

Sounds good.  Can anyone else comment on how long a repair like this might take if I send direct to Line 6?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-08-14 17:03:25

byrnnryb wrote:

Sounds good.  Can anyone else comment on how long a repair like this might take if I send direct to Line 6?

It will depend on the availability of parts and any backlog of repairs I guess, but my impression is that Line 6 themselves are pretty quick turning repairs round if at all possible However, I would think in terms of a couple of weeks or maybe up to 28 days and if your turnaround time is less than 2 weeks that'd be very good, but the best people to advise are Line 6 themselves.  You may be able to arrange to get a local authorised service centre to take a look, order the part and then you take the guitar in and get the job done whilst your wait - depending on how cooperative the service centre is.  Replacing the part should be relatively straightforward

You can find a Service Centre by clicking the link under Support above

RE: JTV 59 - VDI port physically broken on arrival?
by Kneehow on 2011-08-16 10:40:55

I have created a support ticket for you regarding this situation. A support ticket allows you to directly correspond with a Line 6 Support Representative. An email will be sent to you from Line 6 containing a link if a Line 6 support representative determines that a ticket is necessary to troubleshoot your issue. Please follow the link in the email to view your open ticket to work one on one with Line 6 Support.

http://line6.com/account/tickets/view/

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.