These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: XD-V Digital Wireless Microphones

wireless mic forums

chaining 10 units
by DaanHoffmans on 2011-08-16 23:58:28

Hi guys,

I am looking around for replacement of 10 wireless lavaliers for an amateur musical group. XD-V70L seems to meet our criteria, but untill now it is hard to find "real life" reviews from poeple nearby.

Is there any experience with use of this number of units for musical?

The manual states that it is not recommended to chain up the antennas of more than 6 systems. Does this also account for use with directional paddle antennas?

Best regards,

Daan

RE: chaining 10 units
by laplayantonio on 2011-08-19 04:05:42

hello Daan

you may couple up to 12 units, please see page 2•3 of PDF "XD-V70 Wireless Advanced Guide (Rev A) - English" (http://line6.com/support/manuals/)

see also in http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1957'Q: How do I connect multiple receivers for rack mounting?' and 'Q: What type of antennas work with the XD-V70 receiver (RX212)?'

line6antonio

Re: RE: chaining 10 units
by DaanHoffmans on 2011-08-20 12:26:24

Hi Antonio,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. As soon as they are bought I will try to chain 10 units first to see wether the system works fine. We mostly play on small stages (10x5m), so I think it will be ok.

Daan

Re: chaining 10 units
by dboomer on 2011-08-22 09:51:50

While it is possible to chain up 12 units you will get much more reliable performance limiting your chain to 6 units.  Since you have 10 units, I would recommend chaining them up in a 5+5 configuration.  All the parts are in the box so there is no extra cost involved.

by DanCornett on 2011-08-31 08:50:47

I have 12 units, and use them 'chained' in two groups of 6 -- single pair of antennas connected for each group of 6.

One thing I did was to connect the antennas in "opposite directions" across the group.  That is: if the "A" antenna input on unit #1 is connected to the external antenna (with the terminator on "A" of unit #6), then I connect the other external antenna to the "B" input of unit #6 (with the terminator on "B" of unit #1).  This may not make a lot of difference, but (in theory) it may help a little bit to keep the "reception sensitivity" consistent across the whole group.

by DaanHoffmans on 2011-09-10 05:45:20

Hi Guys,

so now it is time start buying. I will end up with 10 units, and 2 pairs of directional antennas.

Regarding the placement of the antennas: I will have 4 paddles in total:

A for unit 1to5

A for unit 6to10

B for unit 1to5

B for unit 6to10

How close can I place A&A together? In order to keep a clean stage I would like to place 2 antennas on 1 mic stand by use of a T-bar. How large should this T-bar be? Is 40cm enough?

To be clear: I understand that it is important to place the 2 pairs far enough from each other to get maximum reliability.

Best regards,

Daan

by dboomer on 2011-09-10 11:39:09

40 cm should be fine.  You can check the signal strength on the LCD display.  Experiment a little and look for max bar length.  Then with the transmitters turned on walk around and give it a try

by DanCornett on 2011-09-15 08:42:08

re: antennas

One other tip.  Get the antennas as high as you reasonably can -- so they are above people's heads, if possible.  An additional nicety would be to angle them slightly downward, if feasible (i.e. so they point toward the  opposite corner of the stage floor).

by dboomer on 2011-09-15 10:20:36

Let me clarify that a bit.  The range of about 6 - 10 feet is ideal.  As you start going higher you begin to indroduce other potential issues.  So 20 feet in the air is probably not a good thing in most cases (if they are level).

by teqniqal on 2011-10-03 17:39:57

What if you want to reduce the antenna cabling and clutter by using only two paddles and an RF signal splitter?  Is it possible to use a 50 Ohm RF splitter like the InStock PD5120 (http://www.instockwireless.com/DC-blocking-rf-power-splitter-combiner-divider-pd5120-fab.htm)to feed two stacks of six receivers?  I understand that you would need two splitters, one for the A antenna and one for the B antenna.  This splitter has DC blocking on one output so that one stack's DC antenna power bias wouldn't fight with the other stack's DC antenna power bias (we always want things to 'play nice'.)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.