These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Adapting a home cinema for the Pod HD 500 ?
by Meljin on 2011-08-18 05:13:39

Hello dear line 6 users.

I'm a POD HD 500 owner since a day, and used it through a "home cinema" (French name, dunno if it a world name too, but it is a sound system that is useful to make the illusion of being in a cinema), which has 4 little speakers of 15W.

My idea was to fusion speakers 2 by 2, and so connecting 2 to the 1/4" out left, and same with the 1/4" out right. But the sound is ridicusely low, and I guess that these 1/4" were for mixing for instance. When I connect one of the two to the "phones", the sound is higher, but I can't connect the 4 little speakers ahead without modyfing it

So, I have some questions :

- With headphones, I have an amazing sound. With these speakers, do you think I'll get a decent sound ?

-What should I get to use the four speakers ? I mean, it is better to cut and unify them in an only 1/4" to connect to the "phones", or should I get XLR and remove the 1/4" for better home studio ?

Thanks for the help ! (And forgive me for the language errors ! )

Re: Adapting a home cinema for the Pod HD 500 ?
by killergege on 2011-08-18 06:32:04

Are you sure your sound volume issue is not related to you home cinema ?

I mean : my POD HD is also plugged to a "classic" sound system (but it has only 2 speakers).

The fact that you have a correct sound volume with headphones but not with your sound system make me think that it's your sound system amplifier's volume that is too low.

Be aware that the sound volumes from POD HD or classic HIFI system may be different from BR's or DVD's sound volumes.

Also take into account that this kind of sound system may change a lot your original sound (it applies "surround" effects, or has a default equilizer tuned for movies, etc.), it's not made to reproduce your sound with a high fidelity.
So your patches may sound a lot different between your headphones, sound system (in fact in my case, I think it sounds better on the sound system) & amp. If you need to create a patch, try to use the most "neutral" or the one you want to sound the best (if you're always playing @home on your home cinema, you can create your tones on that but if you need them to sound great with an amp for a live show, it's not a good idea).

by Meljin on 2011-08-18 12:04:40

The fact is that I don't have an amplifier, only 4 speakers. They were hi-fi but I used an 1/4" to connect them to the pod.

A strange fact is that when I connect to the "phones" the sound is waaay louder than in the "1/4" out" even if I don't touch "Master" nor "Volume"

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

by Octo777 on 2011-08-18 12:46:59

Yeah. I wouldn't reccomend any of what you are doing.

Given what you have said, I am assuming the speakers you are using are Passive and don't have their own built in Amplifiers.

The 1/4" and XLR outs are designed to be used with an amplifier whether that be stand alone or via active speakers.

You can't just connect any old passive speakers to the pod and have it work like it should. You could potentially damage your Pod and/or the speakers too.

Secondly, I wouldn't reccomend you connecting speakers directly to the Headphone output either because, depending on the impedance of the speakers you are also potentially damaging the Pod and/or the speakers.

Futhermore, home cinema speakers are also not something I would reccomended unless you know for sure they are Full Range/Flat Response (FR/FR) which many high end cinema speakers are, but many budget units are not. (and even if you used the Pod with a full cinema system with FRFR speakers, the way the amps in those systems are built would more than likely cause sound latency between you striking a note and subsequently hearing the note)

If you are only playing at home then I would suggest to stop messing about with speakers that are clearly not designed for use with musical equipment, bite the bullet and go and get yourself a nice little pair of Studio Monitors.

For home jamming/recording and even teaching, I have my Pod HD500 hooked up to a pair of M-Audio AV40 Monitors and that does the trick nicely but there are different options available depending on your budget.

by Meljin on 2011-08-19 04:21:46

I see clearly now, thanks

So, I can't use at all these speakers... These are 8 ohm impedance, and from this information I can't really tell if they're dangerous for the pod/theirselves.

If I use a pair of Monitors like you do, will I again need Amplifiers or will it be connected to the pod without anything between ?

Thanks a lot for the help !

by silverhead on 2011-08-19 04:45:45

You should get active monitors. That means they are self-powered; they will have power plugs. With this type of monitor you will not need any other equipment - you plug them directly into your home power and connect their audio inputs to your Pod's audio outputs.

by Meljin on 2011-08-19 13:55:47

Okay.

I guess they're cheaper than passive + amplifier. If I buy a thing like this : http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/samson-resolv-a6-active-studio-reference-monitor--49163

couldI enjoy playing guitar and having a nice sound ?

by Octo777 on 2011-08-20 03:54:18

Meljin wrote:

I see clearly now, thanks

If I use a pair of Monitors like you do, will I again need Amplifiers or will it be connected to the pod without anything between ?

No, the monitors I suggested are Active and have their amp built in. As Silverhead explained you wouldn't need any other equipment and you could hook them directly to your pod via a pair of 1/4" jacks usually.

Meljin wrote:

Okay.

I guess they're cheaper than passive + amplifier. If I buy a thing like this : http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/samson-resolv-a6-active-studio-reference-monitor--49163

couldI enjoy playing guitar and having a nice sound ?

I can't speak for the quality of the particular monitors you linked, but in general, yes you will be able to play guitar with your Pod and get a good sound.

by Meljin on 2011-08-20 15:42:09

So I'll go for this kind of equipment. Thanks a lot for the help !

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.